[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do PSU's wear out over time and produce less power? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: big-shit.jpg (18 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
big-shit.jpg
18 KB, 235x235
Do PSU's wear out over time and produce less power?

I have an 850W PSU from Corsair that I've been using for 5-6 years. After building a new machine with about a 400-500W requirement I figured I could carry over my PSU as well as the GPU & Case.

Well I can't get the thing to boot correctly. I'm receiving continuous short beeps which according to the Gigabyte beep codes for this mobo means a power issue, but upon reassmebling my old build the PSU works just fine.

I've swapped out to different parts multiple times 3 different types of ram in 2 different motherboards.

Im so fucking lost I dont know what else to do.
>>
>>55499612
>Do PSU's wear out over time and produce less power?
Not true. Capacitors wear out but you shouldn't get less voltage.
>>
>>55499639
Do you know what else could be a problem if the beep codes suggest PSU failure?

If I am reading the Gigabyte website correctly, continuous short beeps says the PSU has failed, but it is working for my previous build, which isn't much further from the total wattage used. Even if it wasn't close I still think I have 200-300 extra at least.
>>
Make sure you really shove the 24 pin and 4/8 pin for the main ATX power and cpu.
>>
>>55499763
Redid all the cables and made sure they were really in there. Same beeps. I'm googling beep codes for Gigabyte motherboard and Im sure I'm reading this correctly but it doesnt make sense to me.

I tried booting without the GPU plugged in to reduce the wattage used and get to another POST issue, No GPU detected. Nope, same short continuous beeps. Idk whats going on anymore. I have 2 sets of ram I have tried, both as sets of 4, and individually following the user manual on which slot to install 1 in, tested all 8, same codes.
>>
>>55499612
Yes, as the capacitors age their ability to carry current drops. It stops at a point, but I've seen PSUs bench 150 less than rated after a few years. I even checked one new then years later checked.

Note the switching circuitry will keep the voltage constant, just the ability to supply current, and thus wattage, drops.

Also, sometimes PSU's just die,
>Electronics
>>
>>55499954
Could be a failed VRM on mobo too. Get a PSU tester or multimeter, theyre cheap as fuck. Even a $2 harbor freight should suffice.
>>
>>55499612
>850 down way lower than 500-600
Jesus, I've seen PSU's drop ~10% over ~7-8 years or so, but I've never seen one do _that bad_, especially on boot where the chips aren't that loaded up.

PSUs _do_ degrade, but not by that much.
>>
>>55500036
Im going to drop my part list here because I'm just completely fucking lost. I've built probably 40 machines in the past couple years for people, but I've never built a DDR4/X99 machine and I feel like Im doing something stupidly wrong. I've already made 4 trips to the shop up north to take back and try different parts. Been through 2 motherboards and 3 sets of ram. I double checked all the compatibility in the user manuals and still nothing.

CPU: i7-6800k
RAM: 32GB 2133MHz - Also tried 32GB 3000MHz and 32GB 2666MHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P
GPU: Zotac GTX 980
PSU: Corsair 850W
>>
>>55500082
Is it possible the CPU is fucked? In the past dead cpu's just never booted or produced beep codes, but I'm readty to just send everything back to the store and start all over.
>>
>>55500036
the current in-rush at boot may be an issue

OP, make sure you have nothing plugged in except what is needed to see the POST screen. Use integrated graphics if you have it.

Also worth checking that you didn't leave a mounting piece in for your old mobo that is shorting the new one.
>>
>>55500136
This mobo doesnt have integrated graphics, I have only been trying to boot with the minimum to finish post.

Is there a possibility that a 20+4 pin connector will cause issues? My 24pin connector is one of those seperatable 20/4 connectors and I'm reading some stupid shit online about potentially being a problem.
>>
>>55500268
The connector shouldn't be an issue so long as it is making contact. If you've already checked for shorts, you should look in the manual that came with the motherboard, it's possible the beep codes have changed.

Also, do you have an old graphics adapter to use instead of the 980?
>>
>>55500082
sounds like your mobo might be fucked,about the processor i'd say check for bent pins and try and install it in a another 1151 mobo if you have one sitting around
>>
>>55500354
mb just noticed you tried diff mobos, try and use only one stick of ram,also try a different power outlet if possible
>>
Does anyone know what BIOS software Gigabyte uses for their latest boards?

I found it to be Award BIOS UEFI I think -- That beep code guide tells me it is a memory error, but I've been through 3 sets of RAM, all installed correctly Place the stick in there and give it even pressure until it clicks in.
>>
Mobo needs a bios update to run broadwell e
>>
>>55500539
I cant even get to the BIOS, how do I go about doing that?
>>
>>55499612
Can you post a pic of the business end of your PSU a long with any other power connectors in your build

Order a new PSU with the same reading from Amazon. Try it. If it still doesn't work, return it within the money back period
>>
hi, I have a similar problem, i currently run an fx-6300 with a r9 270x Saphire amd de pc completely shuts down when opening newer games, no bluescreen and when I run programs to stress the psu the pc completely shuts down the same way, its 1 year

Is it safe to assume that the psu just fucked up? can somebody suggest me a nice psu to replace it? thanks in advance
>>
>>55500694
sure sounds like it, just get that 500w evga for $38 on newegg/amazon
>>
>>55500783

thanks for the suggestion
>>
I've seen PSU incompatibilities in the past where certain PSUs just wouldn't work period with certain boards.

Nothing about wattage really matters here - on boot up you should be using maybe 200W max.

Also Corsair 850 is a bit vague - what series of PSU is it?
>>
>>55500625
I know asus has a button you can press if you have a usb drive plugged in with the bios update on it.
See if gigabyte has a similar function on that board.
Otherwise contact them and see what they can do.
>>
>>55500851
That's not normal. I see no reason why a psu wouldn't work regardless of motherboard unless it's defective or a multi rail psu installed with improper configuration.
>>
>>55501033
You'd think. It's not common.
>>
Or you could buy a PS4 and avoid all this trouble.
>>
>>55501067
>>/out/
>>
>>55499612
Aging caps and all that jazz. Won't lose power but power filtering can be weaker, which can cause this kind of shit to happen.

Bust out the digital multimeter, short green wire to black, and stick a positive terminal in yellow and a negative in black. Check voltage, should be 100% stable and at 12.00V +/- 0.6v.

As a side note, some very old PSUs can have different ATX specs. Back in the days, most shit pulled power from 3.3v so most power supplies delivered the majority of their rated wattage on the 3.3v line, rather than the 12v line.
>>
>>55499612

Are you using ddr4 ram? Stupid question i know, but i havent seen you write anything about it.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.