[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ feel about UNIX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Unix.png (65 KB, 430x140) Image search: [Google]
Unix.png
65 KB, 430x140
or what would you prefer?
>>
>>55499455
I'd prefer Linux
>>
i have to use it at work and its complete garbage
i'll take windows
>>
>>55499578
Enjoy the botnet
>>
>>55499455
IIRC GNU's not unix...
>>
IRIX a best, Solaris is pretty alright, no comment on HP-UX, AIX or the BSDs since I haven't used them enough.
>>
>>55499592
savage dude
your reward https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZpd-LzvoM
>>
>>55499455
I don't know what to say. Ever heard of the "second system effect"?
The problem is that, even if there are a bunch of operating systems that are not based on unix, neither of them I would actually use as my OS. And I don't have a spare pc to just try them. They just don't have all the functionality that is now available for unix systems.
Maybe the only non-unix OS that I've used to an extent is Android. And it is a domain specific one at that. (also: having a linux kernel does not make it a Unix).
As of now, it's the only practical alternative to Windows, so it is obviously perceived as a good system, given the second system effect.
I personally kind of like it, but I do because I like the hacker culture and shit.
Some stuff needs to change tho: X is horrid. The developers of plan9 (which I haven't tried, and it's not really a unix) eliminated the root user. I think that's a good decision for obvious reasons.
Some people seem to dislike unix because of the cryptic commands, which IMO is not a valid complaint against the system in itself.
I also dislike the turn that linux has taken, that much I can say.
>>
>>55499750
What I do like about unix:
The modularity that allows several components to be used independently of each other (or rather, to be put in place of any other equivalent software)
The somewhat standard layout of the different unices out there: You can usually be sure to look in /etc/ for config files, and in /usr/ for stuff that's provided for the user.
The use of configuration files, in plaintext (fuck systemd) to adapt the behavior of the components.
The clean separation between userspace and kernelspace, and the standard set of systemcalls to make requests to the kernel
The minimality of the system. As little as a kernel + libc + some standard utilities are enough to have a running, working system
The openness of the architecture. In windows you only get a graphical user interface hiding away all the details of the system since boot. You don't either get to know how things work nor are you encouraged to.
Also in windows you don't really know how the system is put together. If you explore some of the system files of windows, all you see are mysterious binaries with cryptic names and you don't get to know much how it all fits together or even what it does.
>>
>>55499640
>posting jewtube videos
kys
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.