[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I go to the thrift store, and I find a sealed in box WRT54GSv1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: awesome-catch.png (552 KB, 672x511) Image search: [Google]
awesome-catch.png
552 KB, 672x511
So I go to the thrift store, and I find a sealed in box WRT54GSv1 (aka, one of the absolute best of those old legendary blue Linksys routers) for $11

Do you guys think the value of this thing is gonna go up in coming years being sought after by retro tech collectors for being so legendary back in the day, or should I just open it and put DDWRT/OpenWRT on it?
>>
>>55480175
I got one for 5€ like two month ago, after my old one died (because of a shitty power adapter).

I been using them for a wifi bridge for my older computers for 10 years now.

The very first one of those fuckers I got from my school, when they where buying new ones.
>>
>>55480175
>Do you guys think the value of this thing is gonna go up in coming years being sought after by retro tech collectors for being so legendary back in the day, or should I just open it and put DDWRT/OpenWRT on it?
I don't think that they will become valuable if that's what you're asking. They are really common, and it's not like newer wireless standards are not backwards compatible.
>>
>>55480175
It's useless due to being old and obsolete. Unless you are using computers that still use floppy discs, you'll be heavily bandwidth capped even for cable routing.

from the top of my head the wrt54gs has 100mbit as a switch, and about 30-40mbit for routing. But I had a later version, the GSv1 might not even be able to do that much.
>>
I know I sold my old floppy drives for thousands.
Collector's antiques
>>
>>55481006
My internet is fucking garbage, my downloads are at 1.2mb/s max. If I pull it out of the box and change the firmware it will still have a decent use.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.