[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the obsession over ESD the biggest meme or what?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: 1687903-40.jpg (9 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
1687903-40.jpg
9 KB, 267x200
Is the obsession over ESD the biggest meme or what?
>>
what was /g/ like pre-meme?
>>
>>55478345
It's a meme right up until you see someone fry a board in the shop because they didn't have one on.
>>
File: malc.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
malc.gif
2 MB, 230x250
why are you the way that you are?
>>
>>55478345
ESD is very real, theres always the risk that you are not properly grounded. Why take the chance if you can get such a bracelet for like 10 bucks.
>>
>>55478372
But people take it to the absolute extremes with their special mats and wristbands. All you have to do is sit the fuck down, touch the case once while the psu is plugged into ground, then do your shit. Unless you drag your feet on the carpet below you with giant ass socks on, you're not going to build up anymore charge to hurt any componenets. If you have to get up to do something, just touch the case again when you come back.
>>
>dont wear stuff likely to induce/produce static like wool while touching electronics
>dont grind your feet on the rug while touching electronics
>touch a grounded surface before starting any repairs
its not rocket science
>>
>>55478456
>touch the case once
it's painted
>>
>>55478496
I've made a computer on a Persian rug and it turned out just fine.
>>
>>55478345
it's simple.
without esd, there's, say a 2% chance to fuck your shit up. Fine for most home users so they don't need one. but losing 2% of your production due to shit like this is retarded so in a professional environment you'll always find it(or equivalent protection that makes int unnecessary)
>>
>>55478836
>made a computer
did you solder the cpu, ahmed?
you assembled a computer, you dumb fuck, which is just lego stacking
>>
I touch the radiator copper pipe.
>>
File: 1465077121646.png (272 KB, 601x1016) Image search: [Google]
1465077121646.png
272 KB, 601x1016
ESD is a meme. Take it from the expert, Louis Rossman.

https://youtu.be/dPjkNFb10IE
>>
>>55478808
This. I don't even know where the fuck to attach the clamp since its all painted.
>>
>>55479102
I designed and placed all 4 billion transistors personally
>>
>>55478357
More shitposting
>>
>>55479102
Calm down dude, I think you know what hr means.
>>
>>55478372
I was always rough with my boards until I touched a mobo the wrong way and ruined it

>>55478405
the best way is to wrap wire around the earth pin of any small appliance (laptop charger, power strip), give it lots of slack, and hold onto the other end
>>
Forgot about static while building mine today, wish me luck it works tomorrow /g/.

How are your experiences with it? Has it ever been a problem? I feel like it shouldn't matter with how good parts are these days.
>>
>>55479306
One of the screws holding the psu will do fine.
>>
>>55478345
what do you hook these up to if you don't have a ground thing under your desk?
>>
>>55480168
If your power outlet doesn't have a ground, you can try with radiators in the room. You can test if they're grounded by measuring the voltage between you and it with a multimeter when you are charged, touch it, and then see if the voltage drops to 0.

If that doesn't work just stick a steel pole into the literal ground and connect a wire to it though the window. Going outside and touching the ground is good enough in most cases though.
>>
>>55479102
You said you made a building?
Did you get the iron ore for the steel beams out of the ground yourself?
I think not
>>
>>55479717
That's a great way to get zapped to death.
>>
>>55480289
>I don't know how electricity works
>>
>>55480262
Also, I guess you would also have to connect the computer case to the same ground, so that both you and the case are all neutral relative to each other.
>>
>>55480289
If there's power in the lines, you can get zapped. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>55479642
I've fucked a mobo by forgetting the strap/touch. Was winter, super dry, and had big socks on, but still, learned my lesson. Those wrist straps are dirt cheap, to eliminate the potential to ruin a however many hundred dollar component and/or wait for RMA times, it'd be dumb to intentionally forego it.
>>
At the other end of the spectrum, I once vacuumed out a server with a big shop vac because I didn't know any better. That server was unstable as fuck after that and had to be replaced. Pretty sure esd killed it.

Back in the day I always thought you were supposed to leave the psu plugged in to avoid esd, just touch the case often. Well once I removed my bosses GPU and the bracket touched the board just right and literally let the smoke out. Unplug your psu, and press the power button to make sure it's drained before working on it.
>>
>>55478345
>Is the obsession over ESD the biggest meme or what?
When the first MOS assemblies came out for machines that I serviced, I think I cost our company thousands just because I didn't know what they were.
The MOS planar boards contained the amount of logic that would fit in a chip these days but we'd never seen anything like them.
They would die on installation. They gained a very bad reputation but it was our fault.
>>
>guy goes through all the effort to reduce possibility of static then lays his brand new GPU on the carpet or onto the outside of a static bag

Ha ha
>>
>>55480955
That sounds really strange. Either you left the power cables in the card and shorted it somehow by touching the case, or some part of your computer constantly delivers current to the ground due to some fault.
>>
>>55478345
Yes.

Literally have shocked (like saw the arc) on multiple mobos, CPUs , video cards, etc.

Never caused issues.
>>
esd damage is a very real risk for loose ICs and microcontrollers but whether the charge people build up working on high density populated boards (such as motherboards) will do any damage is questionable

just take the basic precautions of not wearing socks on carpet and grounding on unpainted metallic surfaces (screws on the psu will do fine) and don't place any components on stuff like a carpet and it will be extremely unlikely that you'll build up enough charge to do any damage

>>55478357

still awful
>>
>>55478808
Just touch the copper piping on a nearby radiator every so often it's not difficult.
>>
>>55479559
>(laptop charger
they don't have earth because there is no metal casing.
>>
>>55479102
>autism
>>
I had a summer job as a kid at a computer shop. We assembled 100 computers for a government contract, no esd protection, and not a single damaged component. Granted we assembled with our shoes on, on a concrete floor.
>>
As long as you aren't an idiot you are fine . Never heard of this obsession
>>
>>55478345
just put the PSU in the case, plug it in and touch a metalic part of the case or of the PSU
>>
>>55483629
>government contract
Figures they wouldn't give a flying fuck about quality.
>>
>>55479124
>Category; Comedy
>>
File: nice meme.png (66 KB, 997x775) Image search: [Google]
nice meme.png
66 KB, 997x775
>>55478345
>the biggest meme
OP this is you
>>
I am working in electronics. I didn't have a ESD desk because I mainly do software but hardware work just creeped in. I once replaced the oscillator of two MCU's with a function generator to investigate timing issues. Turns out that while most pins on modern ICs are ESD protected, clock input is not. Fried both boards by not being grounded properly. I have a ESD compliant desk now. Frying one component on a board is the worst bug hunt ever.
>>
File: 1465680544771.jpg (7 KB, 233x188) Image search: [Google]
1465680544771.jpg
7 KB, 233x188
>>55479416
>>
Just go barefoot.
That was always enough for me, never had a problem with ESD.
>>
>>55478907
>without esd, there's, say a 2% chance to fuck your shit up.

probably closer to 0.02%

Not worth the awkwardness of being strapped down IMO.
>>
1) be barefoot
2) touch the back of the metal case every 5s
3) don't be in an environment prone to static electricity generation
>>
>>55478345
I've been handling pc components like an ape for 15 years now and never had a malfunction of any part ever. Not for other people of course.
Hardware is fucking durable.

It's a massive meme.
>>
>>55487555
Your shit probably breaks down after a year, though.
>>
>>55487555
ESD doesn't always happen all at once. It can happen over years.
>>
>>55487350
>>55487454
>barefoot

You mean no socks or no shoes?

What if i have carpet?
>>
>>55487705
>your shit probably breaks down after a year
>never had a malfunction of any part ever

Well at least i'm an ape that can read.
>>
>>55487875
both, there are also conductive strips for your shoes that connect to your skin, some labs actually require that.

>What if i have carpet?
Try shuffling your bare feet on a carpet, you won't build any significant charge.
>>
no, i worked as a intern IT guy in a library once
memory modules are usually the most prone to this shit
we lost atleast 10 sticks of ddr2/ddr3 modules for the span of 5 years
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.