[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice in what a newcomer should install on his old machine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Hacking Pepe.gif (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Hacking Pepe.gif
2 MB, 640x480
Ok guys, I was finally sold.
Going to use Linux for the first time ever.
Google forced me to it and soon enough so will Microsoft apparently.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/07/07/google-announce-support-for-black-lives-matter/

So, for a old computer running a 2GB RAM, shitty ass intel video card and 2Ghz Duo Core, what would be the best iOS and Distro to use it?

I dotn care if will look beautiful, but I would like some recomedation that are stable, with stable programs to install and fast to run.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>stable
debian
>light
Arch Linux
>fast
Gentoo

Pick one. Gentoo can be pretty hard to install for newfags.
>>
>>55476920
What about the Ubuntu?

I know there is a meme on /g/ about it, but what is the real problem ( if any) aside of not having to use the terminal?
>>
>>55476920
What makes Gentoo faster than Arch?
>>
>>55477190
It comes with a fuckload of bloat.
>>
>>55478236
Any possibility of I Uninstall those programs later on, or they are like the apps from Android?

Also, I don't know the file extension and such so a Linux that rely too much on the terminal will fuck me over :(
>>
Ignore the arch/gentoo shills. If you actually want to have a good experience coming from windows get xubuntu or lubuntu. They are both forks of ubuntu but much more lightweight. If you try and manually install arch or gentoo you will give up in 10 min and never want to touch linux again.
>>
>>55479402
Also the bloat these autists are bitching about does not really affect performance. They just get mad that it comes with things like a bunch of printer drivers so that you can connect a printer and it just works. They prefer to spend hours looking online for them and then manually configuring/compiling them to work on their system because autism.
>>
>>55476868
Newcomers should install any of the *buntu variations and Linux Mint. I personally recommend Xubuntu but any *buntu should work fine.
But I can't recommend getting into Linux as you'll spend more time installing and reinstalling OSes than looking at cat videos. Pirate Windows 10, nstall it and don't look back.
>>
>>55478120
optimized synthesizers for the polygon generator.
>>
>>55479479
Nope. Windows is dead to me.

Really want to use Linux from now on.

I don't want to keep cracking every single program I need knowing there is a similar for free in another OS.

Also, I don't want to worry about viruses and malwares ever again.
>>
>>55479549
You should get Linux Mint.
It's really easy to use LIKE ubuntu but doesn't come with all the shit Ubuntu comes with, including the amazon spyware.
>>
I dont like the whole Black lives matter bullshit movement, but I am happy that cops are getting what they deserve, albeit not all of them deserve it but they now see how the power gets to their head and all the bullshit they pull.
>>
>>55479826
If someone pulls a gun to you, I don't see what the cop should not respond.

Also, targeting cops at random is fucking evil. These guys will get fucked.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.