[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WPA security flaw.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-Wi-Fi_Logo.svg.png (72 KB, 2000x1283) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Wi-Fi_Logo.svg.png
72 KB, 2000x1283
/g/, I need your expertise on a subject.

Background:
A couple of months ago, I got a new wireless adapter for the house, just a quick upgrade, nothing to particular. When installing and setting it up, I thought that if I just kept the same wifi name and password from the old router, it would be easier for everyone. It would be easier to remember for when people start asking "Hey can I get the wifi password" yadda yada.

Turns out: No one asked, because no one needed it. they automatically logged into my network without having to re-authenticate their password. Since the SSID and password was the same, I would assume their phone shot the information in themselves once it became in range. This makes sense, when people buy linksys adapters, don't configure it, and you connect to it, you can go around your town/city and connect to any SSID under the name "linksys" automatically. Phones only look for the SSID and WPA (if necessary)

This is my idea:

Let's say I root an android and develop a program that poses as a dummy access point (can be easily done on phone) and listen for authentication requests from phones. Wouldn't that grant me access to the network? I would copy the SSID of a network adapter, set it as my own, and wait for a ping and a WPA key to be sent to me?

There has to be something I'm overseeing, some type of encryption that would make the data unreadable. But even then, If I receive enough requests I would be able to compare the data and crack the password. I'm don't have that much advanced knowledge in network security that's why I turned here. It's makes gaining access to a network much more possible than brute force attacks because you have information to work off of, yet experts say "yeah, wpa keys are fucking tough to crack"

What am I not taking into consideration /g/?
>>
Looks like it uses AES for encryption. Good luck cracking that. Still, pretty cool idea.
>>
>>55473002
Them connecting to your access point would achieve what exactly as far as getting into an actual router AP? Doesn't really make much sense

What you're talking about is listening for authentication requests when people try to connect to a WiFi AP. This exists already, is how you crack WPA in the first place and is easier to do than you might think.

Assuming you have the right type of adaptor, any network in range you can sent deauthentication packets to kick everyone off. Once they reconnect you have captured this authentication hand shake. You then crack it by bruteforcing (throwing a butt load of passwords) at this hand shake because it is encrypted. The password isn't sent as plain text. The only way to break WPA is to bruteforce crack
>>
>>55473453
Thanks for saving me the typing.

WPA2 has pretty respectable security around the handshake for all practical purposes. People will point out the weakness in WPS, but really what are the odds of intercepting someone pressing the WPS button on their router?
>>
>>55473715
pretty good. Its more like "sit and wait for a long time" rather than "push the button right when they do".
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.