[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Silicon Valley comfy? Thinking of moving out of Finland/Europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: SanFrancisco_0.jpg (279 KB, 1500x830) Image search: [Google]
SanFrancisco_0.jpg
279 KB, 1500x830
Is Silicon Valley comfy? Thinking of moving out of Finland/Europe when I'm done with my degree as salaries are shit here.
>>
good luck affording a place there
>>
>>55459107
>SV
>comfy
>living in the worst and most expensive part of burgerland
>>
>>55459125
>implying NYC isn't the worst place
>>
Nah it's just a meme city made out to be great by the media. It's full of aids and jewish people, so you are priced out of affording anything.
>>
>>55459207
But if I make $100k?
>>
>>55459107
If you hate change it's a great choice. You'll never have to change your story about "the worst decision of my life" ever again.
>>
Yeah sure. Just come on over, put your feet up and help yourself to freedoms that you've never payed into. Lord knows this place needs another talentless starry-eyed snow nigger to clog up the sidewalks
>>
>>55459227
Rent for a nice place is $50,000 a year there.
>>
>>55459107
It's great if you want to make money, but the people there are fucking awful. Don't listen to the memers spouting bullshit about "cost of living." A six figure job in SV will give you way more disposable income than a 50k job in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
I Don't see why you want to live in a place that gonna be destroyed by a 9.7 earth quake any day now..
>>
It's very crowded and traffic is slightly worse than la .
Cost of living is stupendously high
>>
>>55459374
You are confusing SV with SF. SV is pretty much all suburbs.
>>
>>55459107
find a job there first m80

btw I hear it's shit
>>
>>55459107
San Francisco is probably pretty comfy if you can afford to live there.
>>
>>55459107
Good luck getting a H1B over some pajeet.
>>
>>55459414
Here's my plan:

>come work for half of wage of american
>guaranteed job
>guaranteed green card
>wait a few years
>become american citizen
>get normal american six figure salary
>complain about indians stealing my job and working for peanuts
>fuck you pajeet
>>
>>55459459
You have to wait 5 years. Good luck with that.
>>
Is Austin better? Or Seattle?
>>
>>55459485
Why do I have to wait like I was some sort of Mexican?
>>
SV fag here. It all depends OP. If you decide to move out to the cities like SF or Oakland, prepare your ass for a huge traffic frustration. If you decide to go a bit lower to San Jose, you should be fine. Keep in mind though that rent is above the 3000's. It's a good idea to get a roomate and buy a house in Orinda or Lafayette once you have ammased a good amount of money.
>>
>>55459939
Because they have to do something to keep you Mongols out, Ghengis.
>>
>>55459169
Nobody who works in the decent parts of NYC lives in NYC.
If you mean like the Bronx, then yeah, it's
_shit
>>
>>55459107
>wanting to move from a predominantly white country to a place filled with poo in the loos
that alone should make you question your decision. even if their outward appearance somehow doesn't put you off, they are just outright terrible people to work with.
>>
>>55459262
It's higher than that depending on your location. 100k/yr living there is like making 30k/yr in the Midwest.
>>
>>55459530
Austin's a booming tech town, but the place is overrun by new age leftists so half the point of being in Texas is ruined. Plus, travel's a bitch as Texas is so goddamn huge, and being alone at night in Austin WILL get you killed.
>>
if the reason for moving is shit salaries, you won't find better in SV, the competition there is way too high for salaries to be that good, and even if you do get a nice salary, you get fucked out the ass due to overpriced rent

you should move if you really like the area or for other reasons like being closer to ~le tech hub~, otherwise you're going to regret shit in a couple of weeks
>>
probably best to move to flyover country for the low cost of living.

plenty of hubs around to choose from
>>
File: il_fullxfull.94431769.jpg (72 KB, 581x768) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.94431769.jpg
72 KB, 581x768
>>55460021
Texas has always seemed pretty awesome to me
>>
>>55460001
The problem with that predominantly white country is that tech salaries are a fucking joke and you're still raped by taxes.

And we also have Pajeets.

I'd advise OP to not touch SV with a barge pole. Find a nice tech hub in a flyover and enjoy a bit lower salary than SV but massively lower cost of living. Or even easier find a tech job in Europe. Many of my friends have had good experiences with Switzerland.
>>
>>55460483
>Find a nice tech hub in a flyover
This is pretty good advice, and there are tons of them. Phoenix is a pretty based tech city if you can find a job, and it's cost of living is way cheap.
>>
>>55460483
How is it with language in Switzerland? Is English fine?

I've been in Switzerland so I know everyone speaks it very well, but is it acceptable professionally?
>>
>>55459107
I don't know why you don't want to stay in Finland. Pay is bad there but it's a really nice place
>>
>>55459107
kill yourself
>>
>>55460624
English is pretty much universal language for tech jobs. All of the people I know have been fine with English. Your mileage might vary in smaller companies where everyone currently working is speaking the local language. In larger companies it won't be a problem when working. Though learning the local language is encouraged if you plan on socializing or staying there longer or if you want to become a corporate cuck and climb the ladder.
>>
>>55460736
How do I become a corporate cuck and climb the ladder?
>>
>>55461038
you git gud, you learn the language, you dump your private life into the loo and become one with your company. then at 40 you kill yourself because you realized that you've missed out on family and children, and have essentially wasted your entire living time on irrelevant coding projects.
>>
>>55461038
When your boss mentions management you take him up on it and get put into some small management role like scrum master. You start spending more time in meetings and doing less technical work. As time passes you notice you haven't done any technical work in months and all you do now is sit in meetings and fiddle with excel and your project management tools. Now that you're a manager and notice you don't like it at all because you're an autistic /g/entooman and you want to get out but no one wants you in a technical role anymore since you haven't done anything technical in the last few years and as you've got management experience they expect you to want to climb the ladder. The only solution is to fully embrace corporate cuckdom and start brownnosing the management to the best of your abilities. And every passing day makes you less desirable for any technical role.

Never fall for the management meme my fellow autists.
>>
So where is even good to work? I have an paid internship in London but was going to move to America. Should I stay in London? What about Ontario?
>>
>>55461272
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>55461261
Being a cuck seems pretty fun.
>>
>be a shitstain codemonkey in a flyover state for 50k
>dream of moving to DA BIG CITTY where people aren't hillbilly retards and I get paid six figures
>read this thread
>become a little more thankful for my extremely low rent, a good two-bedroom house in a nice neighborhood for $700/month

Guess I'll be a hick forever
>>
>>55461261
is this true?
>>
>>55461374
>>55461668
>>55461261
how do i make management money without being a cuck and staying true to my /g/entooman ways?
>>
>>55461532
>two-bedroom house
literally fuck you
>>
California is fucking awful. I'm getting the fuck out of here as soon as possible. I hope Muslims burn SF to the fucking ground as soon as I'm gone.
>>
Why do you need to move somewhere to make bank anyway?

Is working via skype/emails/IM a meme? A programmer shouldn't need to be physically present, even on meetings, because conference calls have been around for a while
>>
>>55461683
You git gud and work as a consultant/contractor. Not only can you pick the best and most interesting jobs but you'll be paid more than the managers in charge of you. And the best part is that you usually don't have to care at all about the corporate bs.

>>55461743
Finland taxes you to hell if you make any money working. If you've got a remote job moving to a nice southern/eastern European country with minimal taxes and cost of living is a great idea.
>>
>>55461806
>Finland taxes you to hell if you make any money working
really? how much is the income tax over there?
>>
>>55461837
Heavily progressive. But tax rates over 50% aren't unheard of with well paid professionals.
>>
>>55461893
>But tax rates over 50% aren't unheard of with well paid professionals.
what the fuck

and here I thought our flat 20% was bad
>>
>>55461917
Yeah. Tax rates should never, under any circumstances go above 50%. Especially not when moving to other countries is so easy nowadays. You'll just lose all the people you want to keep and getting knowledgeable immigrants to work on your companies is really hard.

I'll be moving out to somewhere where the government doesn't legally rob you out of half your hard earned money pretty soon if things work out. I've got many friends who've doubled, tripled or even quadrupled their salaries and still paid around the same in taxes when they've gone abroad. And you wonder why well educated people don't want to stay.
>>
>>55461893

I'm gonna have to ask a source for this one
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.