[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/, newfag here. I want to get into programming, and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: lximq.png (39 KB, 283x214) Image search: [Google]
lximq.png
39 KB, 283x214
Hi /g/, newfag here.

I want to get into programming, and I've decided that I want to start with Python due to how easy it seems to be to see progress (more things seems to be done for you automatically, not as strict). I feel as if I start with a low level language I would get discouraged.

So question is, does anyone have any good introduction to Python or have any good programming curriculum?

Any contribution to the thread is highly appreciated. (picture not related)
>>
I tried code academy to learn python but quit when I had to calculate percentages and use math.
It was pretty good I guess
>>
>>55454203
There's a million places if you want to learn Python and are suitable for beginners.

If you've never programmed before, you should look for codecademy. It's a little lame yeah but there's a good intro for Python there and a decent support forum.

You can look for tutorials point too if you want some references and are doing things by yourself.

The docs for Python are great for references on methods, classes and available libraries, you should check them out after learning some basic notions of the language.
>>
>>55454231
Currently studying a math and physics oriented major so I think that I should be OK.

I checked out Code Academy but it felt as if you didn't really learn how everything works but just the outer layer/syntax. It didn't explain the thinking progress or anything really, mostly just the syntax.

I don't know fully though as I just checked out CodeAcademy pretty quickly.
>>
>>55454203
this guy fucks
>>
Lua is a pretty easy language too for beginners, but it's not very useful compared to python. I'd recommend it if python is too hard for you though. You could also buy an Arduino and learn some c if you like hardware. That's how my friend started out.
Personally, I started with javascript at codecademy. Turned out fine for me, developing a gallery website now with Laravel framework (php)
Try out a few languages, go with the one that seems easiest for you to understand, and just learn the basics of programming from there.
You could also try Haskell, but it seems like it's way to different from other languages... Wouldn't recommend, but haven't really tried.
>>
>>55454270
They do explain quite well from my experience, but hey, if you want hardcore and want to know the backbones, check out assembly. You might have seen it if you've used cheat engine before.
>>
>>55454270
Why don't you do some exercises there with Python Docs open?

Since Codecademy will only teach you the syntax and the basics, you can look at the docs for more references on methods and classes.

You could search some nice projects and concepts of what you're studying in StackOverflow and GitHub too.
>>
>>55454309
Yeah, I did some small weapons addon for Garry's Mod using Lua. It's pretty fun but I feel like you said, that it's not useful enough (for me personally)
>>
Would you guys recommend "learn python the hard way" or "How to think like a computer scientist"? Anyone have experience with any of those, they seem to be pretty good.
>>
>>55454528
You study math and physics, go for fortran. Or use assembly you wannabee faggot.
>>
>>55454309
>trying to try newfags into learning haskel
a better choice would be racket
>>
>I want to get into programming
this is the wrong way.
You should figure out why you want to get into programming.
Like what kind of problems would you like to solve?
Do you want to automate your homework?
Do you want to learn how computers work?
Do you want to solve problems in a specific field?
Just something general?

Python might be good, might be bad, I don't know what you want to learn.

Don't worry about what is easy, hard or what takes time.

For some people, python would make a lot of sense.
For others, javascript, c++, even matlab would be better to start with.
>>
>>55455727
>>trying to try tryfags into trying trisquel
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.