[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HDD in the CURRENT YEAR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1446117191110.jpg (158 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1446117191110.jpg
158 KB, 1500x1500
How are HDD holding up?

Is it right to get something like a 1TB WD Blue for 50 bucks or is WD complete shit now compared to Toshiba or whatever?

Or maybe with the new technology SSD are becoming very much cheap enough to justify shilling out the extra few bucks. I saw something on here recently about a new with great prices.
>>
File: 1444115935411.jpg (94 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1444115935411.jpg
94 KB, 960x720
WD isn't too bad, it's Seagate that's the problem. Toshiba's drives are hit and miss, for instance, I have 4 DT01ACA200 running in my server, and they have been fine for over 3 years, while the one I bought for my desktop died within 2 years. HGST is the best you can get, although they are quite pricey. The adage of "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more true in the case of hard drives.
>>
Still widely used everywhere on servers. I'd say it will take another decade or two for it to phase out.
>>
>>55452807
>>55452828
I would like something that is also portable, like throw the case in the car for transport and not have to worry about that fucking it all up right there.

Currently using all SSD in my case but it feels like a huge waste of space to have these SSD which have already ran out of space when I could stick 10 massive HDD inside.
>>
>>55452723
Funny, I just bought a 1tb WD Blue 3 days ago, because a 250gb is not enough to hold my files.
>>
>>55452905
It's the most popular drive on amazon
>>
>>55452723
HDD's in general are only suriving at the high tb range because they are infinately cheaper than SSD's now that 1 tb ssd's are almost cheap enough to buy in clusters its not the same power draw for 3tb or more the SSD has no room and only one manufactuer makes consumer3tb versions and it costs alot of coin.

wait untill all ssd factories have 3d nand then watch it very closely
HDD's will fall and the home backup cloud realm will be its last stand.

mark my words.

>>55452807
>backblaze
Into the Bin
>>
>>55452979

Quiet tripfag
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.