[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
vim
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: vim.png (90 KB, 1022x1024) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
90 KB, 1022x1024
can somebody redpill me on why i should use vim instead of a full blown IDE?

i'm genuinely curious as i've used ides for as long as i've been programming

oh and sometimes i use nano if i need to quickly edit something so feel free to get salty
>>
Just use whatever you want? We don't really care. Vim is definitely better than nano for debuging. Better syntax highlighting and more features. Vim even has fucking mouse support for people who really want it.
>>
>>55452000
>learn the shortcuts
>use Perl-like regex for substitutions
>visual mode
>moar shortcuts

>nano
>quick

vim is the best and if you can't do all your coding on a terminal you are a plebiscite
>>
well, to me its much more pleasant for the fact its so lightweight, i have straight access to the terminal and i can mod it the way i like. and it works everywhere
>>
>>55452000
It's a timesink. Just install Atom.
>>
File: spacemacs.png (97 KB, 551x601) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs.png
97 KB, 551x601
>>55452000
I'm still here guys
>>
>>55452000
Nano is alright.
Vim has great interface.
IDEs often mask too much, so you don't really know whats happening.
Also I hate configuring things via GUI, huge pain.
Languages like Java should be programmed in an IDE.
>>
>>55452355
How the hell is it a timesink? I hate that meme. Yeah, learning new things takes time. It's definitely worth it though.
>>
>>55452426
>spacemacs
Is this worth it?

I'm currently using neovim and am very happy with it, got my comfy plug-ins, tailor-made config and everything, but emacs looks cool in its own kind of way.

What would be the benefits of (spac)emacs over neovim?
>>
>>55452585
No way, it is totally possible to program in PajeetLang in vim/emacs; check eclim.
BTW, most people use a IDE just for a Play button.
>>
>>55453098
All other solutions:
You install it and you use it.
If you want to change something, there is usually a quick way to change that, often through a graphical interface, meaning the user doesn't have to know jack shit in order to change it, they don't even have to know that the setting was there, they can just look.

Vim is different from this.
The defaults is not very good, you do not have the majority of what you need right away.
You add stuff by copying text from guides on the internet.

The timesink is when you encounter a problem, and you spend hours finding out how to optimize the problem.
And then you live in this bubble where you think no other editor can be extended, so it can be just as good.
>>
>>55452000
>vim instead of a full blown IDE?
if you use vim, I can kinda assume you run *nix.
And that means... "unix as an IDE". No, really.
So I'd say vim to complement a full blown IDE, not replace it.
>>
>>55455281
vim is not configurable in this way for good reason. it has a ridiculous number of settings that can be applied in unexpected ways. vim needs these settings, otherwise actual editing of text would not be able to happen at the speed of thought. make no mistake, you only configure your text editor once, but you edit text for the rest of your life.
>>
>>55452426
Emacs/spacemacs is pretty cool. It's practically an IDE and more rather than a mere text editor.
>>
Hi OP I hope you're still around because most of these replies are shit. Looking at >>55455281
specifically as a shitpost.

Vim is easy as fuck to learn. You pick up a couple commands at a time, like with *nix, and then you learn what you need when the time comes. Personally, i need a pretty bare vimrc, but I think the defaults are perfectly reasonable, since it isn't recommended that you use any settings that you haven't discovered for yourself. The truth is, there isn't any way a GUI editor will ever be quite as quick and configurable as VIM. And autocomplete is a crutch that real programmers don't need. Every java programmer I've ever met has been an eclipse addicted moron and you can tell these people barely got through their technical interview problems.

Vim is like a whiteboard. You can turn on syntax highlighting and line numbering if you really need it. But if you fuck up its your own fault and you deserve to give up.
>>
>>55452276
>Just use whatever you want?
That's such an odd statement.
Where does this mindset come from? OP wanted to be red pilled, are you implying people shouldn't want to use better alternatives?

Are you implying that the thing someone uses is automatically the best thing to use for that person, without justification?

Because that's obviously bullshit.
>>
>>55452426

Currently dabbling a little with emacs and evil mode. I'm thinking of trying out spacemacs, but I feel like I'll sabotage myself in the long run if I dont focus on the fundamentals first..
>>
>>55455991
You seem to be projecting all sorts of weird assumptions onto the honorable sir's response. He gave some reasons for using Vim and said that in the end he didnt care whether he convinced OP or not. Your CNN-style response is the true bullshit.
>>
>>55456032
Oh, it's Reddit influence.

Please leave
>>
>>55456053
no thanks, and I don't use reddit
>>
>>55455991
I have never met anyone in my life who, having complete access to free software, asks about it instead of trying it and then ever learns it. where is the interest?
>>
>>55456097
people give up pretty fast. nobody cares about anything anymore when you can just click on a button in a shitty GUI. Yeah how could that possibly be faster than pushing buttons that you don't have to aim on a possibly laggy display.
>>
>>55456097
OP asks why to try, starts a vim discussion in a decent way, I'm genuinely interested in it, technology discussion is exact what /g/ is for.

The "use whatever you want" mentality is something I can't grasp. I want to use the *best* editor, I assume everyone here would because it's a tool you're going to use a lot. Why the fuck would you both kill the discussion and do a bad recommendation by letting someone stick with nano by telling to use whatever he wants? I can not respect or tolerate that.
>>
>>55456151
There is no best editor, whatever answer you get is just going to be anons favorite editor. Some people think vi/vim is best, some think emacs and emacs like editors is best, some think nano, atom, sublime, ed, and even notepad is best. Just use whatever the fuck you want, nobody but shitposters really cares what editor you use.
>>
>>55452000
You should use the best tool for the job. Usually the best tool is different for everybody. I assume you're not an idiot and will hexedit sourcefiles instead of just opening them in a text editor.

I'd recommend learning how the entire configuration (like autoconf if applicable), build (make usually), and install works in any language, including Java, before using an IDE, since you would be able to debug problems between the IDE or build system more easily.

That said, I use vim as the text editor component because I'm usually not editing excessively complex software. Also neovim has parallel support which makes dynamic syntax highlighting (via easytags.vim) less frustrating.
>>
>>55456151
Alright. Assignment:

Learn ed, because it's actually kind of a mindbend. You probably will not like it.

Learn vim. If you get stuck and don't know what the point is, move on.

Learn emacs. Again, same as before, get stuck, see it as pointless, then move on.

Learn weirder ones like acme and sam (they have Linux ports from plan9)

Learn any other editor you can think of.

From that pool of editors, choose what is the best.
>>
File: GNU-Nano-Logo.png (5 KB, 299x300) Image search: [Google]
GNU-Nano-Logo.png
5 KB, 299x300
>>55452276
nano has mouse support as well, cyкa

>>55452000
I literally see no reason for Vim, it's kind of in between a good command line editor like nano and a full-blown graphical IDE, at a point where you really need to choose one of the two (based on the language) and stop trying so hard to be a 1337 c0d0r.

>pic absolutely related
>>
>>55453388
Spacemacs is a distribution of Emacs with tons of plugins (AKA packages) pre-installed and pre-configured to work with Evil-mode (the package that implements Vim). So it has tons of features and should just *work out of the box*. The main downside is that all those packages add considerable bloat and latency.

You should try it out if you want to try out some fancy Emacs features without all the hassle of configuring everything, but if you're already happy with Neovim then it's probably a waste of your time.
>>
>>55457138
>I literally see no reason for Vim
(Besides being preinstalled on most distros) Vim is great because of modal editing. If you implement Vim-style modal editing (and line-editor ex-commands) in ANY text editor, it gains most/all the benefits of Vim.

Vim is more a way of editing than an editor.
>>
I need to figure out how to get language auto complete in vim, then I would use it all the time.
It's the only thing that keeps me in an ide.
I also really like being able to jump to other methods by clicking on them.
>>
>>55459277
YouCompleteMe
>>
>>55452000
fast, fun, everything you need, nothing you don't

if you keep relying on bloated failware you'll never be a real programmer
>>
File: 1450379066800.png (24 KB, 189x189) Image search: [Google]
1450379066800.png
24 KB, 189x189
>>55456020
Eh, so long as you know how to read the documentation, you should be fine with any setup.
However, I recommend that, even if you use Vim bindings for everything else, you at least know how to use Emacs' help system in normal Emacs. C-h is fantastic since there are literally four levels of documentation for pretty much everything you can do. There is:

>Manuals, which are pretty much full books (C-h i)
>Mode help (C-h m)
>Function documentation (C-h k or C-h f)
>...and if you compiled Emacs, Source comments (Clicking a C-source link in C-h f)

The important ones besides the obvious manuals in "C-h i" are:
>"C-h m", which tells you what about the current mode and all the keybindings for them.
>"C-h k", which will tell you what a particular key does.

...and if you accidentally do something and think "wtf did I push" "C-h l" shows the last 100 or so keypresses.

If you know that much, you can change everything and still be fine since the help is dynamic based on your configuration to an extent. That means, Vanilla, Spacemacs, Ergoemacs, or some random config you found on Github? You're pretty much covered for it all.
>>
>>55459771
>real programmer
Nah. Bad tools give you a disadvantage, but don't really mean you are actually a programmer or not.
>>
>>55459955
I was being facetious. Shitposting is a art.
>>
>>55460136
Unironicly using
>is a art
Show us some more cool memes from knowyourmeme
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.