[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EXP GDC Card - EGPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: sku_404635_1.jpg (67 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
sku_404635_1.jpg
67 KB, 700x700
did any of you guys have one? it is worth? how many fps?
>>
>>55449140
ITS SHIT
>>
mine arrived yesterday, a friend run it on a thinkpad.
fps depend on the gpu you mount in ot, obviously, but it works great and seeing games, with ultra graphics and 60fps on a laptop is awesome.
despite this, yes, it's shit. too many hacks, psu, another gpu, cables, a box to store everything neat, and modest probability it will not work
>>
>>55449140
I ran a GTX 970 and a GTX 980 on a BPlus PE4C 3.0, connected to my ThinkPad.

Obviously, it works. What was previously unplayable on my ThinkPad at all settings under native resolution (Homefront 2), was now playable.

This is after considering that my ThinkPad has a Quadro K2000M, which tends to at least be able to play most anything, even if you have to reduce the quality settings.

What is really noticeable though, is that the difference between a GTX 970 and a GTX 980 is staggering. Not that you would really notice on a less performance hungry game.

I use one because I don't own a desktop PC. This is a more economical decision for me, because I have all of my software licenses on one computer (because some people have jobs, unbelievable I know)
>>
Is there any way to get one of these to work through thunderbolt 2?
>>
>>55453279
Thunderbolt is the preferred connection protocol for eGPUs.

Nvidia has streamlined the process so that Thunderbolt-based eGPUs can be hotplugged with zero effort, has more available bandwidth than any other connection (except for proprietary ones, which offer full PCIe 3.0 x16), and are the least proprietary options available.

The single disadvantage being that it's quite expensive. Not as expensive as proprietary options, but still quite expensive.
>>
>>55453357
But with this specific product, I take it it won't be just plug and play? What are some cheap thunderbolt 2 options for an eGPU?
>>
i bought one because i had a 750 ti gathering dust

dunno what to expect, probably suffering
>>
>>55453380
Expresscard and mPCIe options are not plug and play.
Sometimes it requires installing chainloading software which will renegotiate Expresscard speeds, perform PCI compaction (to make use of Nvidia Optimus), and disable the existing discrete and internal GPUs.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5661-us189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2/

I would only choose ExpressCard or mPCIe if it were literally my only option. Thunderbolt is just better.
>>
>>55453252
>I have all of my software licenses on one computer (because some people have jobs, unbelievable I know)
you work on the same pc you play games on?

That kind of cross contamination of work and play seems pretty shitty.
>>
>>55453653
Unlike most people, I can appropriately separate work and play. Although sometimes I think that everyone else are freaks for having such poor self control.
>>
File: IMG_20160707_010905.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160707_010905.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>55453380
Its plug and play if you have an Intel sandy/ivybridge and can disable your dGPU.
>>55453470
Its fast enough to play Dota 2 with the settings maxed out at 1080p. 50-60 fps in optimus mode, probably a bit faster with an external display but I don't use one so idk.
>>
>>55453210
I think it's great if you already have a laptop, since you won't have to buy a case, cpu, mobo, ram, and optical drive.

Also if nvidia you can skip the external display too
>>
>>55453380
I use an akitio thunder 2 with a GTX 970 and my macbook pro.
Running gta5 in 1920*1200 at 60fps in ~very high

It's a bit expensive (250 for the enclosure + cables + PSU) and DIY (check tech inferno with the key words "e gpu") but I don't have a desktop and don't want one since I move a lot.
Initially I bought it so I could dev on my HTC vive.

Now I have the perfect transportable with more than decent performances and I just have to unplug the thunderbolt and I get back my laptop.
>>
>>55453788
Do i need to disable the hd3000?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.