[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooling thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: cap.png (17 KB, 762x211) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
17 KB, 762x211
It has come to my attention that at least one person on /g/ is utterly retarded and doesn't understand thermodynamics. I believe there are more retards hidden among us, and I hope this thread is useful to educate them.

>How can a fan lower a CPU temp to 20C if the room temp is 26C?

The short explanation is that the energy of a gas is given by its kinetic energy and its temperature, or alternatively by its kinetic energy and its pressure, because pressure and temperature are also related. The pressure/temperature of a gas stream change if you move it, and the change is bigger the faster you move it. This is how a fan can make something colder than the room temperature. For the long explanation refer to high school.

>inb4 hurr durr that's free energy/troll physics or whatever stupid shit

No. If you consider the energy consumed by the fan, how much of that energy was wasted and became heat, the heat generated by the friction in the molecules of the gas, and the heat that the stream of gas absorbed from the materials surrounding it (because its energy has to remain constant; energy before it started moving = energy after it stopped moving), you will notice that no energy was created or destroyed; heath was just moved from the stream to the air around it, and then from the material (CPU) to the stream.

Let's make this a nice cooling thread with 300+ replies, or I will bump it everytime it reaches page 10 and you'll end up seeing it all week. Your choice.
>>
It's simple. Demonstrate a system where this happens using a heatsink/fan combo, then collect your millions of dollars for breaking thermodynamics.
>>
Uh, are we using air or water cooling to get lower than room
>>
If the room is 26c the CPU can NEVER be below 26c
>>
>>55445031
your gay
>>
File: 1408327780103.jpg (114 KB, 800x645) Image search: [Google]
1408327780103.jpg
114 KB, 800x645
What a pretentious waste of time this thread is.

/thread
>>
>>55445031
Why are you even here?
>>
>>55445031
Gonna need an actual source for all of that, anon, not just 'high school'.

Can't refer to high school because instructors still mixed up 'centrifugal' with 'centripetal'. To this day, I still don't know what the difference is because they used the words interchangeably, but a physics teacher said it's supposed to be called centripetal, and there's no such thing as centrifugal. But then other teachers would use them both or centrifugal only. Or even 'centrifical'.

In fact, there's a lot of this confusion across other subjects. Like 'electricity' has so many different meanings and uses. Like voltage is supposed to be different from wattage, or current, or conductivity, and plenty of others, and there's so many different ways to measure them, like with watts, volts, amps, ohms, klingons, what have you. And yet we still just call it 'electricity.' Like wtf, why can't we call all of those things different words instead of referring to everything as 'electricity'?

Is electricity the electrical 'fluid' that just sits there? Is it the magnetic force that keeps the current in place? Is it the waves or movement of the current moving in a direction? Is it electrons? Is it the 'power' you get when you boot up your PC? I don't know. Why isn't there some kind of standard for this instead of just lumping it with multiple definitions and confusing the hell out of everyone.

http://amasci.com/miscon/whyhard2.html

Off topic, sure, but how can you blame people for not understanding if no one actually understands it enough to explain it clearly to someone else?
>>
ok 4chan is damn slow right now, didnt mean to double post
>>
>>55445031
True, theorically you can but there isnt a radiador + fan soluciĆ³n powerful enough that you can achieve the pressure. You will also run into compression issues too that will increase the thermal conductivity of the air thus creating a decreasing returns issue because the air you are accelerating isn't isolated from the rest of the fluids, thus interchanging heat.

So you are a physics fag that should stay in /sci/ fairy country while we engineers do the real useful things.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.