[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to switch to Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: Tux.png (12 KB, 265x314) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
12 KB, 265x314
Hey Guys
I just want to ask if a jump to Linux from Win 10 would be viable option for me. I mainly game, browse here and watch Youtube.
>>
>>55438188
browsing will work

gaming depends on the kind of games you like. look up WINE and steam games for linux.

youtube will work mostly. it has serious issues in firefox on ubuntu for me, but works fine in chromium.

of course, just start with a dual boot, so you can revert to windows. if you find yourself switching back more than twice a week, linux is not for you. because at some point you'll want to be productive or do something useful, and it will suck.
>>
Linux gaming is a meme and will always be unless they fix mouse sensitivity for starters.
>>
>>55438218
Wine is a meme. AMD cards will give you slideshow experience.
>>
>>55438257
Huh? Mouse sensitivity? That has never even been a problem.
>>
>>55438188
Like others have said, you will go mad with wine.

Everything else will work. But even in browsing you will quickly notice how windows have the edge. Performance and battery life would suck on Linux.
>>
>>55438414
With 'windows have the edge' I meant that most browsers simply perform better on windows than on Linux. I notice this EVERYDAY because I dual boot.
>>
>>55438443
Thats nonsense. You're probably just doing it wrong.
>>
>>55438414
> Performance and battery life would suck on Linux.
What ancient kernel are you on?
>>
>>55438188
>linux
just fuck my shit up pham
>>
>>55438188
You know what?
Install gentoo
Erase your windows partition. Start compiling gentoo. Fail midway because youre a retarded manchild. End up having to buy windows again. Then come here, make a thread whining and shitting on gnu/linux. Someone will tell you to kill yourself. Consider that. Even if you dont, that will make sure you never touch gnu/linux again. And that is for good. I dont want people like you having anything to do with it. You people ruin things. You ruined Firefox. You are ruining internet privacy, stay off of free operating systems, at least. You deserve everything you get with windows.
>>
File: 1465450194367.png (62 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1465450194367.png
62 KB, 300x200
>>55438792
>>
File: 1465559090602.jpg (143 KB, 828x648) Image search: [Google]
1465559090602.jpg
143 KB, 828x648
>>55438792
A simple question and you get triggered by it.
>>
>>55438792
typical shitnux user ie. autistic manchild
>>
From my experience Linux is really only useful for really old hardware that isn't being used for gaming or anything else that requires heavy processing.
For example I've got an old laptop plugged into my TV that I use as a media box (download movies directly on it and then play them on the TV).
For general use Linux is just a pain in the neck though.
>>
>>55438188
linux is a meme, don't bother if you are a gaymer
>>
>>55438188
>i mainly game
There's your answer.
>>
File: 1467695216182.png (72 KB, 1024x1001) Image search: [Google]
1467695216182.png
72 KB, 1024x1001
>>55438188
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55438188
Gaming might be worth it if you set up a VM with VT-d/IOMMU, the rest would be fine. Linux can be very comfy as you learn and customize it more and more.

It's viable if you're willing to make some concessions and like to learn new things.
>>
>>55438188
>Game
Unless you plan on dual-booting give it up. Gaming on Linux sucks.

If you don't mind dual booting then use Mint (Cinnamon)
>>
>>55439501
SHUT

THE

FUCK

UP
>>
>>55439501
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.
Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system.
>>
File: 1465125831933.jpg (519 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
1465125831933.jpg
519 KB, 2170x1070
>>55438792
I ran Gentoo before realizing I'm not good enough to maintain a system in such a minimalistic OS. This is bullshit. OP should install Archlinux.
>>
>>55439521
>Being this mad
kek
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55439552
>AN OPERATING SYSTEM IS NOT A DISTRIBUTION SO LINUX IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM

flawless
>>
>>55439584
Wew, nice copy/paste functions dude. Do you use your WASD keystrokes with the same talent?
>>
>>55438792
>>55439501
>>55439552
>>55439584
The community here is cancer. Everything is being swallowed by copypastas. The comments section of every post is slowly degrading into a shitfesty circlejerk. Even this is going to end up as a copypasta, I guarantee it.
>>
>>55439892
the GNU faggots are the cancer
>>
>>55438257
Anyone with two brain cells can figure this out. Unfortunately, the two brain cell requirement excludes most gaymurz.
>>
>>55439947
What makes you think these people are "GNU faggots"?
>>
>>55439947
This.
>>
>>55439951
>if you don't want things that don't just werk, you're retarded

You memesters just love wasting time on trivial shit.
>>
Game, browse internet, and watch youtube...
Yes, that's what i'm doing. Steam games run well on linux and i enjoy gaming on linux desktop with everything set just as i like. It's going to require a bit of CLI. And game performance may be better with windows. But Linux does all the thing's you mentioned.

That being said, windows is way more viable for
gaming. It's less hassle overall.
>>
>>55439552

GNU/Linux is a free and open source software operating system for computers. The operating system is a collection of the basic instructions that tell the electronic parts of the computer what to do and how to work. Free, Libre and open source software (FLOSS) means that everyone has the freedom to use it, see how it works, and change it.

GNU/Linux is a collaborative effort between the GNU project, formed in 1983 to develop the GNU operating system and the development team of Linux, a kernel. Initially Linux was intended to develop into an operating system of its own, but these plans were shelved somewhere along the way.

Linux is also used without GNU in embedded systems, mobile phones and appliances, often with BusyBox or other such embedded tools.
>>
>>55438414
>Performance and battery life would suck on Linux.
lel what
>>
DX9 games work ok with Wine usually. DX11 will come to Wine in a year or so.
>>
>>55438414
Just to throw it out there I get solid 60fps in wine playing eve online and wow. Both games perform as well so could want.
>>
>>55439273
bullshit. Linux is only deficient in the gaming department otherwise it's great. Not to mention you don't have to worry about viruses like you do on Windows.
>>
>>55438443
I have never ever noticed this.
>>
>>55440019
PSA, this is not a new IP.
>>
>>55438792
Looks like a new copypasta is born.
>>
>>55439273
I've heard BSD was only good for old hardware, but that's not the case for Linux. I'm "new" in Linux systems (I've been here for 2 years), and hardware manufacturers don't always provide official Linux drivers, but if avoid brands such as HP or Acer you'll be fine.
>>
>>55438188
Install Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon. Open a terminal and run: sudo apt-get install 0ad
>>
>>55438792
You have autism!
>>
>>55440579
the fuck is that?
>>
>>55440649
gaem
>>
>>55440676
Why not get a good game instead? I think Torchlight 2 runs on linux
>>
>>55440565
BSD is great all around but it lacks support for quite a few proprietary drivers and stuff so you have to go without flash and a few other things, making it sub-par for desktop.

Most BSDs are great for server use though.

(You may be thinking of NetBSD, which is really good for old stuff because it exists for tons of architectures.)
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.