[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it matter how I connect my hard drives on the motherboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Does it matter how I connect my hard drives on the motherboard using SATA like my main OS drive (C drive) should be connected to the "0" while my next drives should be on the "1", "2" respectively?
>>
>>55436849
Did you know that we have a thread made specifically for these shitty questions?
>>
>>55436891
Can't find the thread
Sorry since I'm new
>>
It doesn't matter
>>
>>55437380
K thanks
>>
It can matter if you're trying to work out which one of a handful of identical drives is which, as you can check which port a drive is connected to, but other than that it doesn't matter.
Some motherboards do have different speed sata ports on them, so check for that.
>>
>>55436849
It doesn't really matter, as long as it's plugged in and the mainboard detects it
>>
>>55436849
You have to set the master and slave jumpers
>>
>>55437473
this
>>
>>55437495
kek
>>
I usually have the drives connected to the ports in the order of their drive letters.

This way when some dumbass screws things up it's easier to troubleshoot, and when the bios battery fails it would try to boot the drive on port 0 by default
>>
>>55437495
I used to hate this shit
>>
>>55436849
No
>>
>Not having the boot order match the order the drives are connected on the motherboard
Amateurs, you aren't true autists. I bet you even wear odd socks.
>>
>>55437495
OP here thanks for the replies.
This I assume it's like the old hard drives wherein we still have to make a Master or Slave.
>>
>>55438368
I used to refurbish and rebuild pc's back between 2002-2005. Holy fuck I hated master/ slave jumpers with a passion.
>>
>>55436849
No.
>>
>>55436849
It only matters if you have several SATA controllers. For example I have an Intel and I think a jmicron controller on my board. the Jmicron controller is slow as shit.
>>
>>55437495
>slave jumpers
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.