[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Encrypt your home folder or encrypt the whole system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: 1403067213819.jpg (9 KB, 222x216) Image search: [Google]
1403067213819.jpg
9 KB, 222x216
Encrypt your home folder or encrypt the whole system?
>>
>>55436657
>encrypt

Pedo detected
>>
I just encrypt my external drive.
>>
File: 1400351723353.jpg (18 KB, 150x144) Image search: [Google]
1400351723353.jpg
18 KB, 150x144
>>55436659
Technically nothing is illegal on my system.
>>
>>55436688
That's no good when your filenames and thumbnail cache end up on your unencrypted drive.
>>
File: 5aCgwN9.png (89 KB, 977x375) Image search: [Google]
5aCgwN9.png
89 KB, 977x375
>>55436694
>Technically
So you admit to being a pedo? Thanks.
>>
>>55436737
Nothing illegal. My data, not affecting anyone else. Why should it matter?
>>
>>55436657
I just have an encrypted container I put my sensitive stuff in. Plain text document of my passwords for various sites etc. The only stuff I fully encrypt is my laptop, tablet, and phone. Mobile devices in general really. That way if in the event of a Jamal, Tyrone, or Jose stealing my stuff, all they have is an expensive paper weight.
>>
>>55436806
Your phone will most likely be on if stolen though. He may put it in airplane mode so you can't disable it.
>>
>>55436855
That's fine. When the phone is encrypted, I still have my Password I have set to get past the lock screen. They won't figure it out as it's not as simple as Password123. Short, but complex.

And if he enters the wrong password 10 times, Android wipes itself doesn't it? It did on 4.4.2 anyway. So the phone completely wipes itself fresh. When the phone is stolen, I would have already chalked it up as a loss and gone out to buy a new one. Read one too many stories of some white kid getting shot/stabbed to death over hunting down his stolen iphone. Fuck that.
>>
Mostly just my $HOME
>>55438381
>>
>>55436901
Get Cerberus for Android. Fuck with the guy that decides to steal your phone.
>>
>>55436779
but you store cp on ur hdd right? you bastard.
>>
>>55440743
It's just some legal sets and 2D.
>>
>>55436657
Entire system, anything less than FDE is far less secure.
>>
>>55436657
Whole disk encryption. You'd normally think that using something like LUKS encryption on ext4 partitions would protect a logged out user's unmounted encrypted /home data from others even with sudo access... Turns out that's not the case. There are ways to easily bypass that.

And of course, even whole disk encryption will only protect the data while it's powered down.
>>
>>55440926
Maybe for Windows but what about Linux? Only system stuff and installed programs get installed out of /home (config files in /home).
>>
>>55436737
> hi yes mr fbi, anonymous was shitposting about naked children again
> yes i agree this is unusual behaviour for users of this site
>>
why do you even encrypt in the first place?
>>
>>55436657

whole system, there's literally no reason not to if you're already encrypting in the first place

it's literally 1 button press at install time on most of the major distributions, it's more work to just encrypt /home than it is the whole system
>>
>>55441036
>why do you even encrypt in the first place?

so that if a device is stolen it's only the device that's lost and not stuff like sensitive user data i.e., stored passwords, saved documents, cookies etc
>>
>>55436657
Neither you have to give access and your encryption keys (America, Australia and the UK) if you do it by Law.
>>
>he doesn't encrypt his `which cp`
>>
Have a directory called `Private'
I mount a LUKS encrypted drive to it whenever I need to read or write to it, and then umount it when I'm done
It seems to work pretty well
>>
>>55441264

isn't there a directory encryption tool in linux so I don't have to create loopback devices just to access my nono stash?
>>
encrypt every folder in the file system with different keys such that in order to reach /home/pepe/.private_files/videos/12yo_nekkid.mkv you have to recursively decrypt /, home, pepe, .private_files and videos
>>
>>55441198

If you use VeraCrypt's hidden volume function, you can easily hand out the key to the visible encrypted device/container.

VeryCrypt wiki page on hidden voulmes:
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Hidden%20Volume
>>
>>55440952
>have keylogger and cronjob for said keylogger
>register the password used to encrypt
>send this data to hacker

use LUKS and encrypt everything.
>>
>>55441720
Just don't install shit outside the distribution's repositories.
>>
Usually /home and swap on a regular install. Full disk encryption for goodies I want to keep away from prying eyes. :')
>>
>>55436694
Ever watched a DVD on a PC? Ever ripped a CD? Then you've done something illegal
>>
>>55442836
Ripping a CD is legal in Europe now.
>>
Encrypt whole system, agencies also look into pagefiles etc.
>>
>>55443529
Whoopdy-fucking-doo!

It needs to be legal everywhere and DRM needs to be abolished.
>>
>>55436659
Nice try NSA
>>
Might not be a bad idea, considering there's the usual splattering of pirated software/media on my computer.

AFAIK on my Mac there's almost no performance overhead to full-disk encryption, but if I encrypt an external USB drive (where my pirated movies live) will it slow things down dramatically? Is there even a way to do that transparently on a Mac?
>>
>>55443751
Intel processors have parellization for AES.
>>
>>55442836
Ripping is a legal gray area in US law. It is not explicitly legal or illegal.
>>
>>55443896
uh huh, try taking the libdvdcss code from it's site in france and hosting it on a server in the US.

This is straight from videolan:

libdvdcss is a library that can find and guess keys from a DVD in order to decrypt it.
This method is authorized by a French law decision CE 10e et 9e soussect., 16 juillet 2008, n° 301843 on interoperability.

NB: In the USA, you should check out the US Copyright Office decision that allows circumvention in some cases.
VideoLAN is NOT a US-based organization and is therefore outside US jurisdiction.

Most repos and sites just link to videolan and won't host content themselves because of chilling.
>>
>>55436657
full-disk 4096 or bust.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.