[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Routers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160705_142227.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160705_142227.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
What do you use?
Just got this on sale for $60 (CAD)
Gonna flash Merlin on it.
>>
The piece of shit Arris dg860 that came with my internet company. Not sure what to do about it either
>>
>>55428089
Are you on DSL or cable? I remember when I had cable, they just gave me a modem and I could use my own router. This was around 5 years ago, though.
>>
>>55428051
got a high-end Dlink router as a refurb on Newegg for around $40. Works like a charm, and even if it breaks i'll have paid like 1/3 of what it costs new.
>>
I use an EdgeRouter X with two Ubiquiti access points.

It's overkill, no question about it desu. I'm very happy with it though.
>>
>>55428051
>Merlin
Not
>Tomato Shibby
or
>DD-WRT
Or
>Open-WRT

You're trash.
>>
>>
>>55428051
on an AC68 I got a while back. Merlin is the best. Tried all of the alternatives.
>>
>>55428743
>using alternate firmwares
>ever
enjoy not having Hardware NAT
>>
>>55428743
Not supported, idiot.
>>
I bought the Asus N12U just because I needed cheap wifi. Never again asus routers. Motherfucker overheated itself when you had logging turned on.
>>
I don't have one.
>>
>>55428829
But it supports Tomato Shibby Check again faggot.
>>55428828
>Using Home routers for critical Operations.

Are you 4 real?
Heck I just use PFsense senpai I use cheap routers has AP's just login into my Radius Server
>>
>>55428829
Just to add emphasis.
https://gist.github.com/joshenders/3941269
http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69

Do I need to link you to the firmware as well or are you going to get around to it yourself?
>>
>>55428891
>thinking hardware nat is not useful in home environments
When you have a home network with lots of mobile devices, computers and media boxes wanting to reach the Internet, the lack of Hardware NAT becomes a real bottleneck.
>>
>>55428051
I believe I have the RT-AC66U. Got it for around 150 ish when it had just released.
>>
>>55428051
>8 seperate guest networks
lol why would anyone need that many guest VAPs?
>>
>>55428891
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>55429002
I don't use NAT on AP's specially on something like a cheap home router.
I personally think buying one of those chink generic intel x86 boxes with a switch it in and slapping PFSense in it is better then a cheap box on the long term.
>>
File: tmp_19484-2-1043-v21910813171.jpg (179 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19484-2-1043-v21910813171.jpg
179 KB, 1280x1280
WR1043ND V3

Cant complain. Haven't tried openwrt yet.
>>
>>55429266
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>55429283
>tfw I have the archer c7 v1.0 and everything is unusable on it except the stock firmware.

Most useless router ever the v.1 not the c7 series itself.
>>
>>55428051
ASUS RT-N16 with shibby's tomato USB on it
the ONLY home router you should ever fucking use
I use it in many companies, etc
you use separate access points if you need high end wifi
my best uptime is ~7 years
>>
>>55429266
>not using NAT
kys
>>
>>55429266
Hi there!

>>
>>55428702

I'm also on the ubnt band wagon, both in my working and personal life.

While all my clients have never complained about the Unifi ap's, I am finding the AC PRO at home very lackluster.

Throughput is nowhere near what I'd receive on my old AP (mikrotik router/ap unit).

I've tested with the beta / latest stable firmware, I find the range is not as good as the mikrotik, strength at any range isn't that good.

Even if I put a laptop next to it the AP its still pretty bad
>>
Archer c9 with gargoyle firmware. Had issues with ddwrt and tomato at the time. Gargoyle was the only one that just werkd.
>>
is pic related any good nowadays?
>>
>>55429331
What speed can you get on local transfers?

Because my mediocre TP-Link Modem/Router is slow as shit to do local wireless transfers
>>
>>55429316
Hi there!

>>
>>55429463
802.11g is pretty dead desu
>>
>>55429316
Hi there!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!!
>>
>>55429415
AC PRO is fucking garbage holy shit

their best devices are the nanostations
$50 and about 10 times more powerful signal

no unifi though, has web interface
>>
>>55429370
Why would I use NAT on a AP?
Firewall does all NAT, IP ,VLAN and bandwithd allocation according to Radius server login.
>>
>>55429415

Well, I have 2 in a moderately sized house so I don't have any problems. If anything, they're too strong and I don't switch between the two when I move around the house.

Fwiw, I only got two because the two most convenient places for my networking gear happen to be in two extremes of the house and I previously used two chained consumer routers to get it to work. The house is also entirely concrete/brick walls and very difficult for signals to pass through. I assumed I'd need two access points but I could have sufficient with one I think.

What's your setup like in terms of building and whatnot?
>>
>>55429475
with separate access points or RT-n16? (and I'm assuming you're asking wirreless)
>>
>>55429565
Hi there!

>>
>>55429463
If you only have wireless g devices then it's fine. I held on to my Buffalo HP 54g forever, but eventually I had enough n and AC devices it was silly not to upgrade
>>
>>55428051
ASUS RT-AC68U
>>
>>55429600
AC wall penetration is shit toh.
>>
>>55429634
Hi there!

>>
>>55429561
>>55429574
>>55429574
Its a normal brick house, but I'm talking just about line of sight/ a few meters where I want to sit and use it, but for testing im literally just cm's away

Forgot to say I've tried both AC + other modes on their own and I get the same thing with my AC PRO
>>
>>55429657
I know the pasta but is this a new meme
>>
>>55429634
Hi there!

>>
>>55429578
local transfers wirelessly over one router

We're talking about home networking here. I'm not gunna buy a fucking AP for each computer now am I?
>>
>>55429658
Here's a tip.
Forget about AC, wall penetration a shit.
Get a 2.4 Ghz AP, set it to 40 mhz transmission on all antenas and you should be gucci I get up to 50m radius on all directions even on double brick walls.
>>
>>55429691
Not really, it's last year crap from the year before.
>>
RT-N65R. Love it.
>>
>>55429747
You should if you value your home network

About 12 mega bytes per second
>>
>>55428051
I use my Virgin media superhub..
I can swap it out for a stronger router right?
>>
>>55430440
>I get 20 megs on my RT-N12 with Tomato Shibby

No but seriusly I get 20 megs over my NAS.
>>
>>55430520
Well with two wireless I get 12 which cuts it in half. Over 1 hardwired and 1 Wi-Fi I get around 22-24
>>
>>55430600
I average around 15 megabytes with lose files if we're talking about storage on both read and writes (SSD's read and writes on non system drives over 2 laptops in the same wireless network).
Also are you running it in 20 mhz or 40 mhz mode?
>>
>>55430656
For those numbers 40mhz but I have two separate access points now and run 2.4 in 20mhz and 5GHz in 80mhz and don't use the AP in rt-n16 anymore
>>
Any recommendations for radios? I use a Ubiquti Edgerouter X.
>>
>>55431006
Wtf is that gay router why need more packets when it's still 1 gbps?
>>
do 3rd party firmwares actually improve speeds at all

i didn't notice any real difference when flashing DD-WRT on an old tplink router of mine so it could properly bridge things
>>
>>55428051
you got a piece of shit broadcom router
gratz, enjoy your cancer
>>
>>55429961
You're still a cancerous tripfag though.

Hi there!

>>
>being french canadian
>buying a wireless N router in 2016
in all seriousness merlin asuswrt is p cool
but I wouldn't buy wireless N at this point
>>
>>55432228
AC is worthless and it is still a draft
>>
>>55432825
>separately planned properly specced waves are drafts
Nope. It's fine.
I have AC1900 gear, shit works great if you have compatible hardware.
>>
PFsense running on a HP T5740 thin client with a quad gigabit PCIE network card

Wifi is handled by a Ubiquity Unifi 2.4ghz b/g/n

Total system cost $120

Can handle symmetrical gig internet and 10+ external VPN connections
>>
>>55428051
the apple didlo extreme
but I don't use it for a router, I use it as an AP only because the software for it sucks dick.
this thing is fucking fast, and it gets FAR better range than anything I've seen before.
yeah it may not have 7000 antennas, but the 6 it does have are the fastest out there. and my devices connect instantly to it unlike pretty much any other APs I've tried.
>>
i have an asus AC66U

works great, beamforming etc so its nice. plugged in an external drive and can access files anywhere.
>>
>>55428760
Same.
>>
>>55433511
my lad with the pfsense setup
muy bueno
>>
The shitty all in one that AT&T provided. I'm using a couple of powerline adapters so I make do with it.
>>
Pf sense on a IBM x3350
Unmanaged gigabit switch
Unifi ac lr
Still looking for a cheap 24 port managed switch
>>
>>55436727
And a 1tb HDD for based caching
>>
File: 1.png (224 KB, 1920x1075) Image search: [Google]
1.png
224 KB, 1920x1075
>>55428829
?
>>
Why do you need a router? Can't I just use a firewall? (let's say that only one computer is using the internet and if my phone needs it I just turn on a hotspot with a wifi dongle)
>>
> Merlin
Tomato rules.
>>
>>55429463

Still use wrt54gs. It can't QoS anymore, CPU is just too slow but otherwise it's still solid. One of the best investments I ever made.
>>
Gigaset SX763 with DD-WRT
>>
>>55428051
What the fuck i just sold one just like it. Where you at?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.