[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jobs Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: 1412631739036.png (114 KB, 694x670) Image search: [Google]
1412631739036.png
114 KB, 694x670
Jobs Thread

post about:
>finding a job
>job stories/tips/feels
>etc
>>
> be me
> left school at 16
> did nothing until 17, just vidya
> someone I knew from school rang, needs team manager for small IT business
> work for 9 months earning crappy money, managing indian web design team, and general IT support from office
> ask for raise, got denied
> call boss out on being a dick
> left and registered my own business at 18
> worked for around 6 months getting website sorted, clientele interested etc.
> worked at home for 5 years doing design and basic web design, before buying a shop to do repairs
> now 26 years old. Shop is 3 years old last month.
> doing pretty well
> earning $35k-40k
> have 5 bedroom house

easiest work story of all time
>>
>>55411744
Where do you live??

A 5 bedroom house for your salary is crazy
>>
>>55411744
Glad to hear it.
>>
>>55411567
>"dear anon, while we were impressed with your resume we regret to inform you..."
>>
>>55411775
UK. Doing story in dollar because I know the majority here are in US. House is worth £240k / $320k. It's got the shop front downstairs, so comes with having the business. Shop front, workroom, kitchen, utility and toilet downstairs, then lounge, spare room, second lounge, bathroom upstairs, then 2 bedrooms at the top :)
>>
>>55411567
Steps to finding a job: have a parent that is a manager
>>
How do I even go to interviews while having another (shitty) job?
>>
File: readImage.jpg (70 KB, 620x909) Image search: [Google]
readImage.jpg
70 KB, 620x909
>>55411744
>Owning a business at 18
Firm handshake intesifies
>>
>>55411885
hit up goodwill for a nice looking suit. get it tailored and dry-cleaned
>>
>>55411968
I mean, how do I even come up with an excuse for my boss to attend an interview in another company?
>>
>>55412020
Can't you take leave or call in sick?
>>
>be me
>fresh graduate from comp sci, no experience but math minor
>lots of calls, but I'm autistic and don't like answering the phone or returning calls
>get a call one day, can barely understand her
>something about a job, didn't know the location, turns out it was pretty far away
>go to the interview, it's a hiring event
>turns out I dominated the test and they want to hire me
>okay.jpg
>fill out all the forms and shit, 45k not bad
>the offer letter comes around
>Basically says a lot of garbage that I don't like
>"If you leave or are fired within x months, pay us $3000"
>"Whenever you leave, you cannot do the same job that you did here at our 'competing companies' (Note that this is a big company with tons of competitors, pretty much any place that makes software is a competitor) for one year after termination.
>"Pay us your one year salary if you violate this"

Lmao. I'm unemployed now months later. But whenever I think "hey maybe I should have taken this offer" I remember all of this garbage and am like NOOPE.
>>
>>55412020
Set up the interview at a good time? I mean you can't legitimately be working 24/7 at your shitty job.
>>
>>55412074
I read this shit all the time on hacker news, don't get why people put up with it if they're clearly in demand.
>>
>>55412074
Land of the free
>>
File: Al-Gurg-Corporate-Headquarters.jpg (125 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Al-Gurg-Corporate-Headquarters.jpg
125 KB, 800x533
I was in the room with a senior software dev that worked in the bowels of a local corporate headquarters. He said that hiring managers had pretty much lost their appetite for hiring new talent off the street--they'd rather just bring in some contractors/consultants from some local firm and hire the one they like.
>>
>>55412020
Just say "I won't be coming into the office on Wednesday. Please let me know if there's anything you need me to look into." Or if you can get it in the afternoon, say "I will be leaving the office early on Wednesday. Please let me know if there's anything you need me to look into."

There's no need to give any excuse or lie about where you'll be. If they ask why, say that you don't feel comfortable sharing it.
>>
Anyone have stories from the Research Triangle?
>>
>currently studying computer engineering
>using free time on summer to make a few apps and websites
>will compile these as a portfolio
>will start applying for internships next year

is this a waste of time or will it make me more employable? if so, any tips for making a portfolio?
>>
>>55412630
• A portfolio of working nontrivial software is worth more than a degree.
• Knowing several widely used frameworks is better than just knowing languages.
• An adequate coder that can have a non-awkward conversation with a non-technical normie is better than a coding wizard that's an autistic sperg who can't tell the person they're talking to has absolutely no interest in hearing about their minecraft server.
>>
>>55413133
kek, thanks anon
>>
>>55411744
>5 bedroom house with $35k
>tfw only commieblocks here
what does it feel like, having so much space?
>>
>>55412630
wew lad I'm in the same boat, also studying CE, except I use my free time solely to play vidya and shitpost
>>
>>55412630
Why would you make websites and apps in your spare time when you study CE? Doesn't make much sense to me.
>>
>>55411744
you're still no better than a pajeet, serving fucking clients instead of making your own stuff
>>
>>55414080
Lots of employers want to see experience not just a degree.

Depends on the type though, a graduate scheme wouldn't care and they often pay more
>>
>>55412074
>>"Whenever you leave, you cannot do the same job that you did here at our 'competing companies' (Note that this is a big company with tons of competitors, pretty much any place that makes software is a competitor) for one year after termination.

Why is this shit allowed.
>>
>>55414080
why doesnt it make sense? computer engineering -> mixture of hardware and software -> making apps shows knowledge of making software/programming

>>55414022
kek, i did that last summer but im getting my shit together this summer
>>
File: 1381185729764.jpg (172 KB, 653x960) Image search: [Google]
1381185729764.jpg
172 KB, 653x960
>>55413133
Not him, but what does "non-trivial" mean?

I have a bunch of half-finished side projects, but how do I know which ones are good enough to show off?

Obviously fizzbuzz isn't good enough.

Could you guys give me examples of projects on your github/bitbucket/whatever that you are really proud of? I want to get an idea of what the typical recruiter will see from candidates.
>>
File: 1412341737941.png (24 KB, 300x255) Image search: [Google]
1412341737941.png
24 KB, 300x255
just went to a job interview
the interviewer asked about all my projects, down to the very little details of how their engines work
I might not get the job, but he was the first one who showed real interest about my projects, instead of going "nice, anon, you're so good with computers"

it felt really good
>>
What is a good starting salary for someone majoring in CS in Georgia?
Dad's scaring me into believing it's like 40k-50k, but there's no way it's that low, r-right?
>>
>>55414640
what is a decent starting salary in yankland?
>>
>>55414597
pls respond
>>
>>55414597
something that actually does something useful
>>
Got a job working tech support in an office building with an English degree (university me made a big mistake). I was already hired there as a regular worker and there was an opening they had to fill in a week so I guess I got hired because the words "Computer hobbyist", "C++" and "Technology enthusiast" were all on my resume.
>>
>>55414736
If only I knew. I hear some people saying that 50 is good, and then someone else saying that 80-90 is good. I'm just confused at this point and I don't want to get my hopes up too high.
>>
>>55414814
AFAIK, 60k-65k is about the national average, but 80k+ for NY and SV.
>>
>>55414798
Could I have some examples?

I can't think of much that hasn't been done already
>>
>>55414597
The last place I applied for I gave them a sample of my Bing Rewards bot. Basically a selenium powered autoclicker that resulted in 5-10$ every two weeks if I left it running.

Mind you this was like 2 years ago.
>>
>>55414898
I see, that's pretty cool.

If you remember your experience from that time, were they more interested in the languages/frameworks you used, or the actual functionality of the bot?
>>
>>55414134
>>55414307

I don't think >>55414080 is disagreeing with you. What I gathered was that he was expecting lower level shit like working on a Raspberry Pi project.

You're correct in saying CE is a combination of hardware and software, but interfacing with that hardware is mostly with low-level languages or APIs. Websites are typically made with very high-level languages fairly far from the metal that the CE traditionally deals with.
>>
File: dsc_0261.jpg (293 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0261.jpg
293 KB, 1280x850
>>55414597
>Not him, but what does "non-trivial" mean?

The exact definition varies by domain, but here's some key features that a non-trivial program might have:

• some kind of data persistence (preferably using SQL) to maintain state between program stops and starts.

• Some kind of authentication/authorization to manage multiple users. Better to integrate with existing APIs like Google/Facebook/Microsoft than to roll your own.

• Use of popular frameworks. For example: no one cares if you know C#, but if you know ASP.NET, Entity, or WPF that'll get your resume a look.

• Use of Test Driven Development. Find a testing framework that fits your project and make sure you've got a solid suite of well-designed tests to go along with your project.

• Actually deploy your code. Even more impressive than a robust github is a link to your app in an app store or a url to an EC2/Azure instance where your app is running.

• Appropriate use of some of the commonly used design patterns. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design_pattern#Classification_and_list)
>>
>>55414987
They really only checked that I knew how it worked to confirm I actually wrote it.

I also sent them another bot I had made for a couple of specific tasks on mechanical turk (mix of c++/c#/java). Zillow was the requestor and I made a lot of money off that one.

They didn't really check for previous knowledge, but the ability to quickly pickup whatever was needed, many hats etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (870 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
870 KB, 1000x750
>day 40 out of 56 offshore
>Just ordered parts for my new computer minus a pair of 1080's
>realize that I'm at the turning point where I start losing sanity from being offshore
>tfw sharing a 0.2 kbps satellite link with 57 other people
>can't download my podcasts
>highlight of the week was catching a tuna with the ROV
>want to get a job onshore doing real engineering but the pay is too good and the job market is too stagnant to get a new job now
>fingers crossed for a few good hurricanes to wreck shit out here
>>
>>55415020
i understand what you mean and i agree that CE is more directed to low level languages. but, i dont think making apps is totally out of scope because ive had classes on high level languages and even had to create an app for a class project.

a raspberry pi project is a great idea actually because its more related to my degree, ill look into it
>>
>>55415054
I see, thanks for the reply.

As long as use the "technologies" that employers are interested in, I can make absolutely anything?

Let's say, for argument's sake, that I decide to build a java application using the Spring framework that can store data to a MySQL database. Would a silly pet store web app be considered non-trivial to employers?
>>
>>55414514
>Why is this shit allowed.
In some places it isn't, like California. Employers still put shit like this in their contracts anyway, even if it's unenforceable, just to scare you because it costs them nothing to do so.

Although if they're giving contracts that an attorney should review to low level employees, then they're probably a shit company in general.
>>
>>55415417
>As long as use the "technologies" that employers are interested in, I can make absolutely anything?

Let's say, for argument's sake, that I decide to build a java application using the Spring framework that can store data to a MySQL database. Would a silly pet store web app be considered non-trivial to employers?

You've got the right idea. That could work for you.
>>
>>55415491
Actually I think noncompetes may actually be enforceable in cali; I was thinking of intellectual property ownership outside of work. Don't take legal advice from 4chan kids.
>>
>>55411567
Stop posting those images they trigger me too hard. And honestly show a lack of understanding of a university CS curriculum.
>>
>>55414615

I hope you get the job. I'm certain that being able to describe the niches of your project shows that you're not just skilled, but interested. Best of luck, anon!
>>
>>55412074
non-competes are pretty standard, most are not legally binding
>>
I started at 44k three years ago. Now I make over 100k. Software engineer in a lower CoL area.
>>
>>55411744
>Manager at 17
>>
>>55415054
>that pic
Homophone?
>>
>>55412445
I worked in RTP for a year and a half, was great. The pay was totally disproportionate to the cost or living ... 130+k with 890$ rent
>>
>>55412074
>get a call one day, can barely understand her
Poo-in-the-loo or snackbar?

>"If you leave or are fired within x months, pay us $3000"
>"Whenever you leave, you cannot do the same job that you did here at our 'competing companies' (Note that this is a big company with tons of competitors, pretty much any place that makes software is a competitor) for one year after termination.

Sounds like the company is very stingy with their money. You've made the right choice in rejecting it.
>>
>>55411567
>be 12
>forced intro to web design class which I thought I was going to hate
>obsessed
>13, respond to online request for help with learning a php-based content management system. Don't reveal age.
>guy drives 2 hours to meet with me. Surprise.
>still does business with me. $300/hour for a 6 hour walk-through on setting up a site and working with the CMS
>bored with website shit. Learn C by modding idtech3
>Get job at 16 working as a game programmer for a studio in like sweden or switzerland. Work remotely from California.
>18. Work for local game studio prototyping games and integrating support for the then-new Novint Falcon haptics controller
>21. Drop out of college to make game studio with friend.
>microsoft just kidding when they told us they liked our game. 500k funding pulled overnight. Studio closed.
>Get in to developing software for IoT bullshit and writing drivers for contextual devices.
>27. Work for some startup with some of the worst management and inflated egos I've ever witnessed. Using early 90s tech because 'old is stable'. Want to kill self.
>>
>be me 45
>haven't worked a single day in my life
>just live in my mother's basement
>code random websites php and shit just to get bit money
>fuck all mother is dying soon
>>
My cousin majored in criminal justice. His first job out of college was a $100k salary job at booz allen working with JavaScript.
>>
I'm a PC repair tech for a major company. It gets old fast but I can stand it. I just wish I had a job where I can really apply everything I know and not be a grease monkey for 60 year olds who can't into computer.
>>
>>55416591
>21. Drop out of college to make game studio with friend.
>microsoft just kidding when they told us they liked our game. 500k funding pulled overnight. Studio closed.

Why were you only doing business with Microsoft?
>>
>>55411868
>tfw in L O N D O N
>will never be able to afford my own house
>>
>>55416876
from what i remember it was part of some 'xbox exclusive' deal for our game.
>>
File: jobs.jpg (2 MB, 2370x2166) Image search: [Google]
jobs.jpg
2 MB, 2370x2166
Jobs thread?
>>
File: 1453505295295.png (191 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1453505295295.png
191 KB, 700x700
>>55411744
>things that never happened
>>
>>55416326
Most legit ones are, most are not legit. If you do not have a reward if the company does well, you have yourself a garbage contract. Wage and promotions are not rewards.

Also, I want to live in the States. Your fuckers contacts don't have that bullshit "spirit of the contact" bullshit that Canada does.
>>
>>55411567
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJGTGBgFc4
>>
I think if I were Euro or Canadian I'd be mad as fuck about US salaries in Tech

The difference is pretty massive
>>
such a nice thread shouldn't die
bump
>>
>>55411567
>Graduated with CIS degree. Very little actual hands on code courses.
>Work IT support for my university for 2 years post graduation
>Move to silicon valley for some reason
>Get a semi-technical IT-ish vendor position within a top tech company (not saying the name but it's definitely a worldwide household name)
>It's alright, but I want to get more into code work so I can actually have skill growth and better income
Where do I go from here? I think I can network alright inside the company, but I think I lack the job skills to actually break into programming professionally. I had maybe 4 or 5 programming classes in college (Java, Javascript, C#) and I used to do a bit of practice in codeacademy. Should I go back to doing codeacademy and similar programs, or should I take a boot camp?
>>
I wanna get into the tech support field, is just an A+ Cert good enough to start or is there other stuff I should look into?

Also, how can I get relevant experience I can put on a resume that's not 'Apply to a thousand places and hope one calls you back even though you have no experience'?
>>
>>55417810
As someone currently stuck in tech support contractor hell, I can definitely say that the A+ is what a lot of people are looking for. Get that, put some stuff about how you've worked on computers for a couple of years on your resume, and you should be good.

Just don't fall into the same trappings as me, where I'm sometimes waiting two weeks in between work orders.
>>
Im about to graduate from HS.
I just want to know where to start,I know nothing about programing but I want to learn.
>>
>>55418144
take a book that will teach you some programming language, try doing something useful with what you are learning.
>>
>>55416746
How much experience with JS did he have when they hired him?
>>
>>55411567
Currently lucky as fuck, quite fortunate. Worked as a student intern with my high school's IT department, turned into awesome paid internships for summers after my junior and senior year, then started taking classes at a technical college but got hired by my states community college for a job at my high school where I was working for when the community college has classes at the high school campus during the year. I still have this job and just sit there all night on my laptop waiting for kids to ask me where to print. I was sitting there one night and a co-worker from when I worked as an intern for the high school walked in and told me a full time position was open in their department and to apply, and I did, and got the job. now I work both jobs and have my associates degree and am still going for my bachelors. then I'll get some career somewhere I suppose, whoever is paying well.
>>
>>55412074
Non-competes are standard you legal autist.

Also, as another anon said, most dont hold up in court. Basically, the agreement cant harm your ability to work, or you can get it thrown out.
>>
>>55418305
Thanks, Any recommendations?
>>
>>55415321

did...did you just reach out and grab it?
>>
>>55411567
>electrical engineering student
>finish 1st, 2nd year
>can't find any internship
>get one interview and basically get told that I don't have enough experience
>currently working as a technician for a security company (my parents work there, otherwise I wouldn't have this job)
I'm just hoping that next year I can find an actual engineering related job, but I have a good feeling about this upcoming year, so I'm not too worried
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.