[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>catalog >crtl+f >no 3d printer thread I'm th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: InventorsDelight.jpg (110 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
InventorsDelight.jpg
110 KB, 1200x900
>catalog
>crtl+f
>no 3d printer thread

I'm thinking about buying a 3d printer here shortly for a vast amount of bad ideas to print. As far as I can tell the best bang for your buck is the MP Select Mini 3D Printer. I was sold by the tech review: http://hackaday.com/2016/06/13/review-monoprice-mp-select-mini-3d-printer/

What are your thoughts /g/? Does anyone here have a 3d printer and wish to offer advice?

Also to note: I believe I could also use http://www.tinkernut.com/portfolio/hack-old-cd-roms-into-a-cnc-machine/ to set up the 3 axis movement, and basically glue a 3d printing pin for less money. but it won't print to such fine degrees that i want.
>>
wtf this isn't a cellphone or a video card
gtfo
>>
Failed memes general?
>>
>>55410135
The best bang for your buck is to build your own. $200 for a 120mm^3 build area isn't extraordinary.
>>
File: thatguy.png (89 KB, 422x517) Image search: [Google]
thatguy.png
89 KB, 422x517
>>55410164
Well I thought for me it would be considering I don't plan to be printing things on a very large scale at all?

Also, in the review they claim that the printers listed specs are an underestimate of the machine's capabilities.
>>
>>55410150
My uncle fell for this meme really hard, paid $10k for a printer and sold himself as a prototyping business. I think he made a few custom parts for cars and like that was it.

Probably not a big deal to him because he's well enough off from working decades as a mechanical engineer and consultant but now he had to go back to doing that because 3D printing was a meme
>>
>>55410135
>I'm thinking about buying
no
>>
>>55410190
>Well I thought for me it would be considering I don't plan to be printing things on a very large scale at all?
120mm^3 is 4.5 cubic inches. As long as you don't plan on printing anything larger than a (very) miniature bust, you could do worse.

>Also, in the review they claim that the printers listed specs are an underestimate of the machine's capabilities.
Build area is build area, you're not going to be able to print larger than the printer's bed without serious modifications. The only thing that could be underestimated would be the print speed, which is unimportant
>>
>>55410257

I wish to be printing something around the size of a bottle top, with an accuracy of about 25 microns i hope. smaller if possible.
>>
>>55410135
The CD-ROM thing is clever, but the stepper motors in them are way too short to be of any real use. You would end up with MAYBE 1.25"^3 build volume.

>>55410302
That small? You might as well just contract someone to print it for you at that point. 3DHubs is one place you can do that.
>>
>>55410323
The issue is that I presume that my first models will not work the way I wish and it'll have to be a battle of remaking and redoing over and over again until I achieve the functionality I am desiring. If I was so confident as to make it the first time and have it do what I want, that'd be nice, but. I have an extremely limited knowledge, and typically fuck up the first time i try doing anything.
>>
>>55410135
>using the catalog
newfag spotted
>>
>>55410435
Not OP but I lurk for 8 years now and have been using catalog almost exclusively for 4.
Stay mad pleb.
>>
File: 1438898389313.png (254 KB, 790x420) Image search: [Google]
1438898389313.png
254 KB, 790x420
What does /g/ thing of FLUX for a nice all in one starter kit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZISxSo2X0
>>
File: 1461293411238.jpg (88 KB, 640x737) Image search: [Google]
1461293411238.jpg
88 KB, 640x737
>>55410579
you are my areoplane.
>>
Why not get your shit from shapeways or similar for a few bucks?
>>
>>55410629
I think there is something to be said about wanting to do something on your own rather than buying your way there?

I realize in that buying a printer I am still buying my way somewhere, but I have considered building my own, it's just I don't think I'd do it with my specifications of printing size. So while I am buying my dreams to a degree, I feel there is enough layers of separation in creation, and a required level of understanding to be able to create them.

>>55410613
That's interesting, and for the 500 special that doesn't seem bad. But it does more than I would need it to. Scanning and engraving is cool n' all but. just lookin' to print.
>>
>>55410732
>I think there is something to be said about wanting to do something on your own rather than buying your way there?
Well yeah that's why you get custom parts printed. If you just want to muck around with a 3d printer go ahead but you won't get anywhere near the quality you can get online.
>>
>>55410752
You think so? I am not so sure. I think they likely use .4 mm print heads and similarly speced machines, the only difference should be with experience, right?
>>
>>55410989
No, they use machines that cost 10-100 thousands, and also use different techniques (e.g. laser sintering).
>>
File: asdfwwea.png (370 KB, 507x361) Image search: [Google]
asdfwwea.png
370 KB, 507x361
>>55411309
Alright then, you've got a fair argument. I suppose it's purely out of desire then for me to buy it, even though it may not be the most economical. :)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.