[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home server thread Hardware? What you do with it? Ideas for future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
Home server thread
Hardware?
What you do with it?
Ideas for future projects?
>>
is this the new desktop thread?
>>
>>55401184
It's exciting to me. I see you enjoy shit posting.
>>
>>55401211
is that a yes or a no
>>
>>55401216
Am I being detained?
>>
I want to run a plex server

I was thinking a Mini-ITX skylake i3
Are those small form factor machines like the NUCs any good?
>>
File: 1294725475082.png (65 KB, 977x785) Image search: [Google]
1294725475082.png
65 KB, 977x785
Sup /g/
Looking to buy a NAS.

Uses:
RAID 5/6 and/or ZFS
Plex
1080p streaming to multiple devices
Anything else I can think of

Here's my build so far, mostly stolen.
ASRock C2750 Intel Avaton
5x4 TB HGST HDD
2x16 GB Intelligent Memory Unbuffered ECC RAM
128 GB SSD for Caching
SilverStone DS380B
Cooler Master V650

Should be about $2k.
>>
>>55401525
I just built a NAS for the same purposes. After my research, I'd say drop the Avaton. I got an E3 1245-v3 and some don't supermicro board for the same price...with many magnitudes more performance. The SSD isn't necessary for cache to be honest unless you have a shit ton of concurrent users.
>>
>>55402383
Ignore the random don't in there. Swype texting failure.
>>
File: server specs.png (50 KB, 1023x883) Image search: [Google]
server specs.png
50 KB, 1023x883
X5675, stock clocks and voltage. 24GB ECC.
Mellanox ConnectX-2 for connection to desktop, dual port intel for main connection to switch.
850 for boot drive, 6 random 1TB drives for main storage, corsair SSD for L2ARC, 2TB Ultrastar for backup.
Used for storage, backups, and VMs.
>>
>>55402383
I suppose another use I have for it is simply to learn all about being a server admin. Thus SSD caching. Also the SSD was cheap and I can use it for another build later. I'll look into the E3, thanks.
>>
>>55402497
I want to be like you when I grow up. What books or videos do you recommend? Is that zfs?
>>
>>55403012
It's ZFS
Don't know what books to recommend, mostly just doing stuff, then trying to do it better.
>>
>>55401160
E3-1245 v3
16 GB ECC RAM
some cheap 60GB SSD for the OS
and around 44TB of storage space, which is 99% full

using it for storage, obviously. mostly movies (28TB), some TV shows (15TB) and another TB of random stuff
>>
How do you guys ensure that if you get a power outage that your drives won't be corrupted?
>>
>>55404280
UPS
>>
Sup /hsg/, my 6x 1TB NAS drives (mix of WD blues and greens) are approaching 5 years old, no signs of trouble but I'm getting antsy about having drives that old, especially with no fault tolerance. I have not needed to look at spinning rust for a long time so I'm behind the curve a little. I'd like to replace each with at least 2TB so I can set up some decent sized RAID arrays (currently running JBOD) and worry less about data integrity.

I know HGST make some solid 2.5" drives and I also read good things about WD red's, am I on the right track looking to these guys for drives? Do you have a better recommendation? Price is not a factor, I just want another solid 5 years of performance.

>>55404280
By using a UPS with the capability of performing a clean shutdown when mains drops. I had an APC that connected to my box via USB, powerchute software was configured to bring the machine down if power was down for more than 5 minutes (UPS could hold the box up for 20).
>>
File: cyberjesus protects.jpg (103 KB, 1162x765) Image search: [Google]
cyberjesus protects.jpg
103 KB, 1162x765
>>55404280
>>
>>55405536
> in the name of the admin, the netop, and the holy root, amen.
>>
>Hardware
Gigabyte Brix N3150, 1TB HSGT 7k, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
>What do you do with it
Torrents, streaming, hosting git repositories
>Ideas for future projects
Currently writing my own remote file manager because why not
>>
fug
>>
>>55404280
>>55405509
>>
>>55401525
>Looking to buy a NAS.
linipc.com
>>
>>55405509
>>55405530
Thanks dudes
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.