[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drawing Tablets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
Can /g/ give me some advice? I plan to get a drawing tablet for my sister. Her birthday is coming up. I want to get her something at least good enough to start with. But I cant afford something absurdly expensive. Could you give me any recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated.
>>
I got the one in the picture.
works pretty damn well.
>>
wacom has patended monopoly on some pen technology that makes pens not bulky/heavy, so there is that.
>>
>>55401085
Thanks. I'll look into it.
>>
Photoshop will work with any tablet, but some more obscure software might only recognize pressure/angle from Wacom tablets.
>>
So I take it Wacom is the way to go?
>>
>>55401191
Yeah but they're getting expensive AF. Look on online classified to see if you can get a decent model for cheap.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
Huion Giano master race reporting in.
>>
>>55401141
Get the medium one
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Ask away, I'll answer what I can.
Don't expect a lot of pictures, using mobile data currently
>>
Get the cheapest new wacom you can find. I've been drawing on tablets for years now and there is absolutely no point in getting anything expensive, but it has to be wacom.
>>
>>55401774
Disregard what I said I'm retarded.

>tfw didn't read the post correctly
>>
>>55401776
How would you know? Have you actually used anything more expensive than an intuos?
>>
>>55401717
That actually looks pretty nice? How's the build quality, etc?
>>
I'd say buy a used/older wacom tablet that is the largest size you can find

Haven't really used the newer models much but size is worth more than a bit better features/precision
>>
>>55401828
I've used about 5 - 6 different models, the most expensive one being my ex's tablet and she was a professional graphic designer who worked for a comic book artist as an assistant.

Tried them out, if anything the bigger ones felt more precise but took more energy and effort to draw one due to the larger surface area. Apart from that I didn't feel like it made me draw better or worse. The only kind I have not tried are are the ones with screens on them, though drawing on a regular tablet is already very smooth and your hand doesn't get in the way.
>>
>>55401933
Try digital inkling on a tablet without a screen and get back to me.
>>
>>55401908
Very sturdy actually. It's got wifi too if you need it. Only snag is you have to charge the pen but it lasts fucking ages on a single charge so no biggie.
>>
my only advice is dont buy chinkshit if you use photoshop
any othe rprogram, fine, but when you ask Adobe for support on Huion/monoprice they say "buy a wacom you poorfag"
>>
>>55402016
Nice.

What about the pen weight? How's the pressure senstivity and tilt sensitivity?
>>
>>55401985
I will never have access to a tablet with a screen, so could you enlighten me on the matter instead?
>>
>>55402079
It's incredibly difficult and time consuming doing lineart on a pen tablet without a screen and have it come out not looking like shit.
>>
File: avatarfag.jpg (56 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
56 KB, 750x600
>>55402113
I'd imagine that is very true when you are already accustomed to drawing with traditional tools. A screen tablet is the dream of a couple of my friends, while me and a couple other friends learned to draw with a tablet after switching over from drawing on a mouse.

I know one guy who still draws with a mouse for many many years, and he draws pretty damn well. Pic related.
>>
>>55402208
>I know one guy who still draws with a mouse for many many years, and he draws pretty damn well. Pic related.

Goddamn why
>>
>>55402113
Depends on how much practice you got with it. Lots of people swear by regular tablets and make amazing stuff with them. Very few artists can afford a tablet with a screen.
>>
>>55402229
Go ahead and ask him why if you're curious.
>>
>>55402208
>shape tool in MS paint
>drawing with a mouse
Yeah whatever. If that's your standard of good art there's not much point to arguing with you.

>>55402231
>Very few artists can afford a tablet with a screen.
What? How much more expensive is a cintiq companion or an iPad pro compared to a pc + tablet + other prepherials?
>>
>>55402275
An intuos is like $70-$500 and the smallest Cintiq will fetch at least $1000
>>
>>55402275
Couldn't find his works while on my phone. You'll have to find them with his alias if you're interested.

I know that he has done several hundred dollar commissions.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
I literally just draw on my old X61 that I got for $150.
>>
>>55403027
WELL THAT LOOKS FUCKING COMFORTABLE MATE
>>
>>55403049
You don't have to draw on it like that...
>>
I got a bamboo ctl460 for gaming, seems fairly good and the pen feels okay but there is little grip to the thing
>>
>>55403027
Very nice...how much you gotta pay for one of those?
>>
>>55401191
Wacom is easily the best drawing tablets on the market, but this is mostly because of a bunch of patents and being an early established monopoly, and as such are fairly overpriced.

If you don't want to break the bank I think there's some site called wacom alternatives or something that has recommendations for other brands that perform well.

But Wacom is quality, I bought an Intuos 4 Medium for my girlfriend about 6 years ago and it still works perfectly.
>>
>>55403210
For gaymin?

You play osu don't you? Post that user link

I got the ctl-480 small and it's based af. Too bad I can't draw
>>
>>55401073
The one in your picture is about as good a starter tablet as you can get.
This way if she ends up hating it you're only out $100.

Don't listen to the Huion/Monoprice memers either. Wacom or bust. They own all the good patents for this tech.
>>
>>55403545
im LITERALLY trash

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/5444914
>>
>>55403621
>he says he's trash
>I'm 100k

Fuck every anon I meet is good at this game.
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/7533424
>>
>>55403701
all relative playtime bruh, i usually play it for around 5-10hrs a day
>>
>>55402058
No tilt or eraser unfortunately. Otherwise it's fine.
>>
File: 1467430721192.jpg (107 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
1467430721192.jpg
107 KB, 800x670
>>55401073
>>
>>55403561
>They own all the good patents for this tech.
And you get none of those fancy features unless you pony up for the Intuos Pro line. The Intuos regular is just the bamboo line rebranded. And bamboo tablets are hot smelly shit compared to monoprice/huion tablets for the same money.
>>
>>55404049
a cintiq 21ux is prolly a bit too expensive considering what OP is looking for
>>
File: 1465252091660.jpg (350 KB, 1050x788) Image search: [Google]
1465252091660.jpg
350 KB, 1050x788
https://youtu.be/I4VThLCtllQ
This was done entirely with a mouse

Pressure sensitivty is nothing more than a crutch, free yourself from the pen digitizing Jew.
>>
>>55401754
What are you currently drawing?
>>
>>55402319
Exactly. Where do you buy a computer complete with peripherals ready for digital art under $1000?
>>
>>55401754
Do you regret buying a such a small model?
>>
So, guess i'm an iPleb, but i've been looking at the iPad Pro (9.7) and getting a pen with it, mostly just for a bit of doodling.

Anyone try one?
>>
>>55404412
yeah but he didn't want to contribute, he just wanted to brag so he would get at least 5 (you)s sucking his dick but that didn't work out
>>
>>55404076
Call me when your pens aren't Sharpie sized and don't need to be charged.
>>
>>55405024
Very decent. Not as good as a Surface or Wacom, but decent. Software all sucks, works like shit for lineart, it's better for painting and sketching.
>>
File: 1417188971.jpg (74 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1417188971.jpg
74 KB, 1024x768
>>55403027
I have one Thinkpad x200t and a Fujitsu Lifebook T900, each one cost me more or less 200 dollars

If you don't have the money to buy a cintiq, you always can buy an old tablet pc with a wacom digitizer

Personally, I use more my Galaxy Note 10.1
is light, comfortable and not heated at all
>>
I use intups pro, large size. It's fine only cost me like $150-200. I like it much more than the bamboo I had before. Working my way up to biting the bullet for a cintiq, that's the holy grail I suppose.
What do I know though, I'm just a cat.
>>
>>55405058
oh
that's not him tho, btw
that's hamada yoshikadu, a mangaka, and his setup

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-sEn6CNDZk
here's the making-of video from when he got a newer 21UX model
>>
>>55404440
Is this the progress of the Russian Space program?
>>
>>55404812
Could you make less sense if you tried?
Regardless of the fact that a Cintiq still needs to be hooked up to a PC, literally every artist ever is going to already have a PC with photoshop.
>>
>>55405557
I have an x220t I draw on as a hobbyist. Xubuntu with a chinese 9 cell and I can, and do, sit out on my dock for 5 hours and draw drunk people in boats peeing into the lake.
>>
>>55405895
>a Cintiq still needs to be hooked up to a PC,
Cintiq COMPANION is a standalone computer god fucking damn.

>literally every artist ever is going to already have a PC with photoshop.
What the fuck is a digital artist doing with PS and no tablet? For the record I have an intuos and I've never drawn in PS.

Fact is if a digital "artist" could afford a computer they can afford a screen tablet. I don't see why this is so confusing for you
>>
>>55406085
You can use a computer for more than just drawing pictures of the girlfriend you'll never have, you fucking autist. Even if this hypothetical artist was one of the elusive few with enough money to buy a Cintiq while at the same time not already in possession of a PC, a PC would make more sense to buy since you need it for basically everything nowadays.
Your 'argument' is fucking retarded.
>>
>>55406369
>Your 'argument' is fucking retarded.
Says the person who got BTFO on both accounts and had to switch to a different argument while throwing around insults. Nice try, but I'm a girl.

Let me remind you of your initial statement:
>Very few artists can afford a tablet with a screen.
Yet in your narrative they perfectly afforded a complete PC. Perhaps this is the time where you shut the fuck to prevent further embarrassment, up to you though.
>>
>>55406682
>Nice try, but I'm a girl.
Post tits please.
>>
File: 1463890900454.jpg (1 MB, 2097x2961) Image search: [Google]
1463890900454.jpg
1 MB, 2097x2961
HUION GIANO
HUION H610PRO IF YOU'RE POOR
THAT'S IT, GO AWAY

>>55405663
Hamada is pretty based
>>55402113
I'm pretty active in the art community here, you definitely don't need one for absolutely stunning lineart, the disconnect just takes time to get used to
>>55402275
Laptops are real cheap nowadays, and most artists (or hell, people) need one anyway for networking so usually they'd already have it
>>
>>55406785
>>I'm pretty active in the art community here, you definitely don't need one for absolutely stunning lineart, the disconnect just takes time to get used to
What do you count as lineart? Sketches are not a problem. Digital inking is tricky as shit.
>>
>>55406785
What about the 1060?
>>
>>55406085
>What the fuck is a digital artist doing with PS and no tablet?
Vector art? Retouching scanned artwork? Photo manipulation? 3D? Composition? Mockups?
>>
>>55406930
Before I had a tablet I used a mouse in Photoshop just fine. Anything you can do with a tablet you can do with a mouse and keyboard.
>how to spot a non drawfag
>where's your tablet? Hyuck tablets are the only way to make digital art! Hyuck
>>
>>55406805
>lineart
I'd say the actual b/w stuff, like it'd print fine on a monochrome paper, as if it were done with a dip pen and jar.
Like I said the disconnect is annoying (and a lot of digital inkers get Cintiq because of that) but you really shouldn't get a display tablet if you can't justify it (i.e. being able to pay it back with the art you produce on it in a few months), it's not for beginners are hobbyists
>>
>>55406941
Same. So has fucking everybody, I hope. You don't buy a tablet without even knowing how the brush tool works, especially not a goddamn Cintiq.
>>
>>55406930
Why would a digital artist do any of that when they don't have any digital art of their own to edit? Are you daft?

>>55406960
Jeez, I know. I never said I was looking to buy a cintiq just to ink my shitty art.

>I'd say the actual b/w stuff, like it'd print fine on a monochrome paper, as if it were done with a dip pen and jar.
Yeah I have no idea what you're talking about. You're either drawing with the tablet (not difficult), or tracing/"inking" a sketch (difficult). Which one is it?
>>
>>55406682
That original post wasn't me. I was just stupefied by your stupidity so I replied to it. Also you literally didn't reply to my point.
>>
>>55407458
Because your whole point is backtracking on what "he" said. I can't argue with something whose arguments keep changing. Fuck off.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.