[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Chrome really that bad of a memory hog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: ti4bOEN.png (113 KB, 306x240) Image search: [Google]
ti4bOEN.png
113 KB, 306x240
I'm on a Macbook Air, not particularly recent one, and tried comparing memory usage between Firefox, Firefox Dev Edition, and Chrome. For just a single open tab with a sample webpage (Facebook, in this case), both FFs took over 300MB in memory, while Chrome had only ~60MB in memory according to the Activity Monitor. What gives? I thought Firefox was supposed to be less of a memory hog than Chrome?
>>
>Macbook Air
Why? Why would you have one of those things?
I mean, they're borderline useless.
>>
>>55397448
At the time, I cared a lot about carrying weight and keyboard comfort.
>>
>>55397477

was the removal of cock from your various orifices painful?
>>
>>55397477
>Carrying weight.
Are you an ant? Like, the difference between a macbook air and a reasonable Windows laptop is like, 1 pound. Are you running a race with this thing?

>Keyboard comfort
If that's what you call a comfortable keyboard... I hate them personally... but I can't really argue with something like "I like the way it feels." of course.
>>
>>55397398
For Chrome you've got to include the usage of helper/rendering processes. Pic related

>>55397448
Airs are decent if they're the 13" models. 1440x900 @13.3" is better than the 1366x768 @ 15.6" shit the generic PC world seems to be in love with, and the rest of the machine is quite speedy as long as you're not looking to game or mine bitcoin on the thing. At this point they should really just lower the 13" rMBP's price to where the 13" MBA sits today, but the 13" MBA is at least serviceable.

The 11" on the other hand is a miserable pile of shit.
>>
>>55397534
I price compared similar Windows-based laptops (similar in terms of thinness, speed, etc.) and weighed the fact that I fucking hated Windows, and made my choice.

Anyway, I figured out where the number discrepancies were coming from. Chrome's separate tab threads weren't being grouped together in the activity monitor, so it looked like it was using less memory than it was.

Chrome confirmed for memory whore. Firefox master race, etc. etc.
>>
>>55397595
Agreed re: airs. I'm on a Mid-2012 13 inch Air.
>>
>Likes Mac over Windows or (anything but mac).
If that is what you like... is no business of mine...
>>
>>55397398
>Macbook Air
There's your problem
>>
>>55397595
>not looking to game

You can play BF4 on an 11" 15 air
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvX22sKOPqY
>>
>>55397635
Try comparing Safari, too. For bonus points, install an engine-level content blocker like Wipr or Adamant in Safari before testing; its engine level blockers are LLVM-compiled bytecode instead of JavaScript and CSS, making them far lighter than the likes of uBlock and ABP, and they're more effective since they prevent requests for resources from even being sent across the wire. They prevent a ton of heavy ad crap from ever entering memory and cache.

Also, engine-level blockers are nothing but compiled domain lists with zero executable code, so they can't phone home at all.
>>
>>55397398
It kinda is but people over exaggerate. Thing is Chrome will use a set amount of RAM for each tab you have open because it isolates each web page in it's own little box if you will. If this webpage crashes or does something it's not supposed to it will only affect that box.

Anyway Chrome uses very little RAM if only 1 or 2 tabs are open (~100MB) but because of the box thing it can quickly eat up more than 1GB with multiple tabs open.

However this really shouldn't be a problem in 2016 because RAM is cheap as dirt now, I saw a 8GB laptop RAM stick go on sale for $25 in my local microcenter. So you really can't use "buh I'm too poor!" as an excuse.
>>
>>55397869
I'm always a little torn about FF vs Chrome. Chrome is just more pleasant to use for reasons I can't quite explain (UI?), but it's a botnet and I feel like I can't trust it.
>>
>>55397961
>but it's a botnet and I feel like I can't trust it.
So is Firefox. If you are that afraid of a botnet then just use Pale Moon or Brave.
>>
>>55397987
I've never heard anything about Firefox being a botnet. It's open-source, and the code is audited regularly.
>>
>>55398022
>I've never heard anything about Firefox being a botnet. It's open-source, and the code is audited regularly.
True but now it's infested with SJW and fat feminists who have ruined Firefox from the inside out. They literally fired one of their CEOs for having an opinion.

RIP Firefox
>>
>>55398090
>spreading misinformation

They didn't fire him, they never even tried to. In his own words he stepped down because with all of the people who were salty about it, he felt that he could no longer do his job effectively.

It's still retarded, but to Mozilla's credit, they never tried to fire him.
>>
>>55398348
How much is the Mozilla corporation paying you? Anyway I can become a shill for them too? I wouldn't mind shilling if the pay was good.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.