[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, i got put on a VPS to manage it and the devs who are going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1467572259610.jpg (399 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1467572259610.jpg
399 KB, 1080x1920
So, i got put on a VPS to manage it and the devs who are going to make a website on it.
I installed the lamp stack from scratch, but during testing i found very high page load times.
It is revealed to be the bandwidth that is causing this.
I made a php script that echoes the output of a commandline speedtest script to the page to test it easily.

The host promised 100mb/s for the cheapest package, but we're pulling this.
I am not the renter of the vps, so i can't go up to the host as the vps owner and complain.
And the vps owner does not want to go to the hosting company with this for some reason.

Am i screwed and should throw the vps overboard and stick with a normal webhost?

>inb4 lamp stack vps
It was already paid for, so why not use it?
It can provide additional services for the devs and sysadmins that will come in handy later on.
>>
Turns out /g/ doesn't stand for technolo/g/y but for /g/pu
I now remember why i stopped browsing /g/ in the first place
>>
What is your question? VPS, shared hosting or colocation. It depends on the requirements of your application nigga. If they promise 100mbit, complain when they dont deliver
>>
>>55396203
I can't complain as a customer of the host because i am not the customer.
The customer has put me on this but he refuses to complain to the host.
So, how do i go about this?
>>
>>55396420
This isn't a technology problem. Its a "you're a bitch" problem.

You've got a VPS. The VPS has connectivity issues, most likely from being oversold with a bunch of niggers running seedboxes. Unless you or your client speak to the host there is nothing you can do. If the host won't do anything, you need a different host.

Of course, that's all provided this isn't something you caused in some way. From the roundabout way you did a bandwidth test it doesn't sound like you know what you're doing.
>>
>>55396511
I guess i'll take the political way then.
The OS was an image provided by the host which had apache preinstalled.
I blocked ssh root login and made user accounts, and installed the rest of the lamp stack, that is all.

I noticed 14 sec load time for a 1.5MB image, so i did some tests with wget and a cdn.
In order to prevent the host claiming that the numbers i ended up with have nothing to do with my bandwith, i installed a cli speedtest client and made a php script to use it.
The speedtest is just to make my test look clean and official so the host can't discredit my measurement.

I guess that's it.
Good night
>>
Good luck OP
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.