[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Changing PC-Case + upgrading components
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
Hey guys!

At the moment i am using a machine which i bought as used, with the following components:

Small Sharkoon Case; MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Mainboard; i5-4690k; 16GB Corsair Vengeance; Air-cooler (dont know the model right now); Palit GTX 970

I bought it quite cheap but now i often push it to its limits by multitasking, gaming and streaming.

Thats why i decided to step up to an i7. I chose the 4790k because its just a veteran chip and fits on my mainboard. I want to replace the current air cooler with a Corsair H115i for OC purposes. At the same time i want to build the whole system in a Fractal R5 case.

This will be the first dis/assembly of a PC all by myself, and when it comes to connecting parts i have a lack of knowledge.

So my questions:

1. What do you think of the overall upgrade? Worth it?

2. Do you have any advice for someone who has never completely built up a PC on his own?

I have a slight fear that ill be sitting in front of endless parts and unable to get the machine running.

Thank you for your help! :)
>>
The i7 is quite old, but it is a powerhouse so I guess it could be a good fit
It really comes down to how much you are spending, and how long you are gonna keep this computer. If it's for the next few years, then fine, but if you want a new computer within a year, then it's not worth it.

Wear an antistatic wrist strap so you don't have Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) on your components and ruin them.
Other than that, just watch build videos from You tubers like Austin Evans to get a basic idea of what to do.
>>
going from i5 to i7 on same gen won't give you much or hardly any performance unless you stream or multitask like a mad cunt.
>>
don't listen to retards about anti static shit, it won't ruin anything.

protip i even use a fucking hoover on my pc GET FUCKED.
>>
>>55395863
im not planning to buy a new system in the next 1-2 years. i think if i have a good OC on that 4790k, plus maybe add another GTX 970 for SLI i should be good for the next 2 years.
>>
Just take your time, and read your manuals/google if you get stuck. It's like lego, pretty hard to fuck up. The most nerve wracking part is pushing that lever down to lock the CPU in place since it requires a fair bit of force and the metal arm bends like a motherfucker.

Anti static straps are retarded. Just touch some bare metal on the case to ground yourself before you work.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.