[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does g think about paying for using a media server like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 384x384
What does g think about paying for using a media server like plex?

Not only you have to deal with getting the contents (buying or pirating) for the server

Now you have to pay for the "media server service" it why is People exited for this?
>>
Useful for watching stuff on the telly desu

Don't have to pay for lan
>>
As long as the anime groups don't know how to properly encode their shit I use the transcode functionality of Plex to watch animes on my television.
>>
I only use it at home, so there's no need to pay
>>
>>55390419
I don't pay for it and it works fine. The only thing I paid for was the app for my tablet.
What do you get if you pay?
>>
>>55390508
You can stream your media from outside your LAN
Also, it allows you to keep local copies of media in your tablet or phone.

I'd pay for it if it were a single pay instead of monthly or yearly.
>>
>>55390549
Wait, are you saying that you have to pay to stream outside your network? Because that's wrong.
>>
>not using lucky patcher to hack IAPs
>>
It's a meme. MX Player can play files off a NAS just fine.
>>
>>55390580
>use lucky patcher for poweramp
>get automated mail I'm now part of a class action lawsuit
>>
>>55390557
I don't see an option to manually add servers in the android app
>>
lmao are people this retarded?

learn to read, you only pay for trash features like syncing encoded stuff for taking on a phone during a flight

and getting apps "free"
>>
>>55390614
Lolwut
>>
>>55390419
works fine, i watch stuff on my tv through chromecast with plex and stream to my apartment from another location where my server is
>>
>>55390549
You can do a single pay, it's $150usd.
>>
>>55390644
I thought you linked servers via your account. My friends added me as friend, shared their libraries, and now all the libraries show up on any device I have signed into my account, ps4, Android, windows, it all works.
>>
>>55390419
Lolwat? You don't pay for the server at all. Are you fucking retarded?

>>55390644
All you do is log into your Plex account you dumbass. If you have your ports forwarded correctly (assuming you even need to do that, you usually don't have to) the server list is populated automatically.
>>
>>55390419
Plex server is free. You pay only for cloud services like metadata database and cloud storage. Well parental control is a premium feature too but who need this shit?
>>
>>55390970
You do have to pay to use the clients
>>
>>55390549
Can't you just setup a VPN and circumvent that?
>>
>>55391041
Not all of them, and certainly not the PMP or Home Theater clients that run on Windows or OS X.
>>
>>55391062
There's no need, if your home server has the right ports forwarded you should be able to access it just logging in your plex account.
>>
>>55391113
>>55391041
The Android and iOS clients are not free
>>
>>55391062 Plex can and should be run without internet access. Just make sure that you turn off authentication for local access and use tap vpn interface. Cracked android app works fine too.
>>
The library management looks nice. Only reason I use it
>>
>>55391210
>I spend all day downloading pretty cover art of my media instead of actually watching it
>>
>>55390419
you don't need to pay for plex retard. it does pretty much everything you need it to do for free. if there are early or test releases or some other paid feature you want to use, then yes, you pay. out of the box functionality is free.
>>
>>55391308
Plex does it for you - that was my point famalam
>>
>>55391308
>send hashsum to plex corp
>get pretty cover art
>with dmca letter
>>
>>55391660
>implying Plex would shoot both their own feet off
What?
>>
>>55391705
Remember popcorn time?
>>
>>55390419
LAN is free and you can just put the web interface behind a reverse proxy with nginx and you can view it anywhere for free.
>>
>>55390419
What are you talking about? You don't have to pay. Are the people on /g/ really this retarded?
>>
>>55390419

> 2016-05-19
> https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/plexmediaplayer/public-testing/latest/

> 2016-06-13
> https://nightlies.plex.tv/public-test/plexmediaplayer/public-testing/1.1.2.354-b3df488d/

Something went wrong!
>>
>>55390419

>falling for the plex meme

wew
>>
>>55390460
>anime groups don't know how to properly encode their shit
Is this some kind of normalfaggot meme? The reason shit televisions can't play modern shit is because they're set up to play fucking avi or whatever the fuck backwards, obsolete formats normalfags use these days.
>>
>>55392119
how do you steam media to friends?
>>
plex is bretty gud
>>
>>55393256
burn a dvd and give it to them
>>
>>55390419
I don't pay for using plex, what are you talking about?
>>
>>55392825
Anime groups don't adhere to the Blu-ray spec. That is the exact and only reason dedicated hardware can't decode their garbage. It's not a meme, it's common sense the chimps in charge are lacking.
>>
File: 1443646824053.jpg (3 KB, 126x123) Image search: [Google]
1443646824053.jpg
3 KB, 126x123
>>55394752
>burn a dvd

people still do this?
>>
>>55390419
I paid for it so I could get access to the new beta plex media player, which is the best thing for doing what it does.

fuck any and everything xmbc/kodi based. fuck any and everything that requires java runtime.
>>
>>55394894
>people still do this?
makes me wana burn one right now anon...so hot!
>>
>paying_for_the_fuatures_you_can_get_free_with_other_solutions.png

|
|>
|
|
>>
>>55391041
Don't use the native clients, then. There's really no reason to.
>>
>>55392825
If all technology of today does not adhere to your standard, is there something wrong with them, or with you?
>>
>>55391134
The android client is "free", but you can only use it if you chromecast the media somewhere.

But let me ask you one thing friend. Do you have a web browsing app installed on your smartphone? Because logging in through browser is free. So why not watch stuff that way? Possible on mobilephones :)
>>
>>55393256
Emby, the server component is actually free software
>>
>>55393256

why would you stream media to friends? Just give them the fucking file and they can watch it as much as they want.
>>
>>55395097
>shit is ok because at least we can eat it
There's something wrong with avi, and there's definitely something wrong with useless fucking shit that can only play avi.
>>
>>55396785
So you suggest I should just send each of my friends 5TB of media and then proceed with daily transfers as new content comes in, instead of just running a server capable of streaming on my hardware that's always on anyway? Sounds like a sane solution.
>>
Could we be friends on Plex, /g/?
>>
>>55397021 Nice try MPAA, but no.
>>
>>55396974

sure let your friend chew up over 5TB bandwidth constantly streaming your shit. Suuuuuure.
>>
>>55391041
No you don't. The android app will ask you to pay the first time you start it. Just close and reopen it and it will work fine and never bother you again.
>>
I used to use a media server like that but really it's no more convenient than just browsing your (organized) files and clicking the movie you want to see
>>
>>55391175
>Plex can and should be run without internet access
?
>>
>>55397095
It's way more convenient, what the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>55397118
He's not taking his paranoia meds, just ignore him.
>>
>>55397148
How is it more convenient than literally going into a folder and clicking whatever you want to see?
>>
I personally think Plex is pretty based, all I do is point it at my music and movies and it will automatically download cover art, lyrics, artist info, etc and organize things for me. their apps are also much better than anything open source, including Kodi. there's even a one time payment option if you don't want to pay yearly or monthly. if you can afford it it's pretty great. but if you can't afford it it's not really "critical", it's just nice to have.
>>
>>55396785
>not using plexrequests
>>
>>55395164
The native Android app is much nicer than using the web interface.

Just get the cracked apk from mobilism.

I use Plex server for streaming to my phone. For my HTPC's I just use OpenELEC and stream BD remuxes without transcoding from my unlimited Amazon Cloud Drive.
>>
>>55392825
No, anime retards use 10bit for no fucking reason. Fucking idiots. The source is fucking 8bit. Literal retards, but you wouldn't expect anything more from people who watch anime
>>
>>55395274
Emby is absolute dogshit.

I keep thinking "maybe it's not total garbage" and giving it another try. Nope. Still atrocious.
>>
>>55390549
you don't have to pay to stream out of the lan. you just have to port forward. even if you pay you still have to forward the same ports or it won't work.
>>
>>55397471
But transcoding 8bit to 10bit makes it better, baka. :^)

I also transcode my mp3 to FLAC and upscale my SD content to HD 1080p.
>>
>>55397471
Better compression ratios. But yeah, it's annoying that my shitty tablet doesn't support hardware decoding because of 10 bit shit.
>>
>>55395041
Examples?
>>
>>55397071
>Not having truly unlimited data
Do you live in the United States of Abhorrent Internet?
In NZ, I have 200mb parallel unlimited for $99 nzd
Poorfags with muh freedoms getting raped by Comcast
>>
I use plex because it has a great google tv app
>>
>>55393256
Add them to your friends list and they can stream everything on your server.
>>
>>55397482
What was your problem with Emby?

I think it's pretty great. Less resource intensive, supports hardware acceleration, integrates cleanly with Kodi and has .iso support.
>>
>>55390580
>lucky patcher
>not disassembling your apks and having fun trying to modify them until they work
>>
>>55390419
I use KODI like a normal person.
>>
>>55399592
Not even remotely comparable software.
>>
What the advantages to use plex pass?
I don't understand, I always use it freely without any issue.
However I only use it to manage my media.
So did I miss something important?
>>
>>55399432
The media matching sucks.
>>
>>55399769
Oh I see I can better media metadata quality...
>>
>>55399774
Don't they both use TVDB and themoviedatabase? Or are your folder structures just garbage?
>>
>>55399860
My folder structure and naming is flawless. Kodi and Plex can both match 100% of my content with zero errors.

Emby is just a trash program that can't even handle the most basic necessary function.
>>
Emby also can't do DVD order.

It sucks. Deal with it, embytards.
>>
>>55390419
I used Plex in the past and use Emby now, I never paid for anything. I have a VPN server running on the same machine as the media server, I just connect to that when I'm not at home and play shit exactly the same way.
>>
>>55399883
Not that guy, but Emby matches my entire library flawlessly. Are you sure your folders aren't shit, as in they match the metadata source you're using?
>>
>>55400331
My folders are perfect. Emby sucks.
>>
>>55400346
Well, it matches everything according to TVDB for me and all my movies, sucks to be you I guess.
>>
>>55400365
Sucks to be anyone dumb enough to use Emby. It doesn't even do DVD ordered TV shows.

Kodi itself isn't very good at matching and needs an overly strict naming structure. Emby is even worse.

Plex is so good at matching it can just be directed to a raw unsorted download directory and match almost everything in it.

Sorry buddy, emby is just bad. Maybe in a few years it will be usable.
>>
>>55400384
Last time I tried pointing Plex to a torrent download directory it fucked up a good 1/3 of the files, detected false duplicates, doubled up seasons and its limited web interface didn't even let me fix things manually.

Can Plex do path substitution yet? Have they added support for external players in the web interface?
>>
>>55400434
That's funny, my experience with Plex is that fixing incorrect matches is easy whereas Emby shits the bed when you try to fix incorrect matches.

As for useless shit like "path substitution" and "external players in the web interface", probably not. Because that shit is usless.

Sounds like the Emby team need to get their priorities straight. Robust matching is far more important than frills and gimmicks like that.
>>
I just use Kodi to stream my content to my TV from my NAS, and Plex to stream content remotely to my parents
>>
>>55400489
Let me know how you fix Plex correctly identifying the series name, but thinking season 2 is season 1 because it's under the base root of the TV folder, I'm curious.

Path substitution and external player support are quite nice, you can use a not-shit player on a desktop computer while still benefiting from an organized and tagged library. Much better than using HTPC applications on a desktop to get the same shit.
>>
>>55400545
With Plex you can just use the DLNA server if you want to use an external player.

Why would you want to use a web interface at all if you're using a non-web player? Seems pretty retarded.

But everything about Emby is retarded.
>>
>>55400603
Because you can have progress synced to your library while benefiting from the improved quality of a proper player?

What, if you watch an episode in MPC-HC or mpv or some other player do you manually open up your Plex interface, search for the show and episode and then mark it as watched every time?
>>
>>55392825
>> he doesnt know what an mkv file is
>>
>>55397691
How shitty is that tablet? I have a Snapdragon s2 from like 2012 running honeycomb that can play 10 bit video. Just download a better player.
>>
>>55391838
You are an idiot
>>
>>55390419
Paid for Lifetime it's great. Plex syncs photos and home vids with my phone. Streams music to my mobile devices as well as streams content. Good stuff. It was plenty fine for years free and it's even better provided you can utilize the extras with lifetime imo. I don't need spotify or google music amazon etc. I don't need google drive/photod or amazon either. Netflix via my home machine? Fuck yea.
>>
>>55398810
Thx for the tip though I already use plex. Just wondering how the autists here expect non users to share media
>>
>>55396785
>Just give them the fucking file
Because how the fuck do I give it to them unless I seem them in person?
>>
>>55398605
>Most people in the world aren't stuck on DSL/Cable
>Phones anywhere have unlimited data

Go fuck a sheep
>>
>>55399769
If you don't pay the mobile and ps4 apps close on you after a few mins. Streaming works fine through web though
>>
>>55390419
>Have plex running on a NAS in my basement
>Can stream via dlna/directplay to my dvd player and PS3 which both have plex apps without paying a cent.

um wut is this about payin $$$???
>>
File: tCELdMa5.png (909 KB, 1901x554) Image search: [Google]
tCELdMa5.png
909 KB, 1901x554
>bought a lifetime pass.
>Have a co-hosted server with 24tb on a dedicated gigabit port
>give all my close friends and senpai access
>automated through sonarr | couchpotato | Jackett | /PTG/ | plexrequests.net | transmission

Feels pretty gud
>>
Plex is useless for people who want uncompressed audio
>>
>>55398605
I always thought Kiwi's were smart, but man you're retarded! I pay $65 in California for 300/20 line (unlimited data). So the way I see it is you're getting fucked!
>>
>>55403363
did you set up autodl from btn and ptp too?
I also have a dedi / seedbox but didn't pay for plex since its 100% free to use the server and then watch from anywhere through the web apps
>>
>>55403052
And sending 5TB to each of your friends would be a better option on slow-ass DSL or your phone's data connection?
>>
>>55404697
>asymmetric
LOL
O
L

You're the one with a shit connection, mate
>>
>>55400545
/Series.Name.Year/
/Series.Name.Year/Series.Name.Year.S01/
/Series.Name.Year/Series.Name.Year.S02/
>>
>>55404928
Dude you don't need to reiterate to me. I got it the first time. Kiwis are just as retarded as any other fucktard. I get it. Shoo now.
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.