[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chromium VS FireFox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1
File: logo_chromium.png (57 KB, 533x537) Image search: [Google]
logo_chromium.png
57 KB, 533x537
Help me decide on what browser to use.

Chromium:

Pros: Faster, feels lighter, loads webpages and switches tabs faster, all around a somewhat better experience.

Cons: Uses more CPU and RAM, made by Google, I'm signed into Google with it, so I have no privacy with it.

Firefox:

Pros: Can change it around a metric fuckton more than Chromium, privacy is respected and can be (is for me) enhanced, uses less RAM and CPU.

Cons: Responds and feels slower, locks up at times, among other slow-ness.

Help me decide /g/. I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit.
>>
firefox esr
>>
>>55384925
Reasons to distrust Chromium:
* Downloads binary blobs silently and executes them with user privilege https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909
* Contacts Google's servers regardless of user's settings https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=792580
>>
>>55384972
Esr?
>>55384976
Yikes, that bites.
>>
>>55384925
Opera
Only one con, less extensions
>fast
>uses less ram
>better than Chrome and Firefox at HTML5
>>
>>55385272
>>55384925
Also, built-in AdBlock (or you can use Classic AdBlock)
Built In proxy
>>
Firefox, disable all the bloat, save your profile, then do a fresh reboot when it starts to feel sluggish
>>
>>55385292
How do?
>>55385272
>>55385283
I'll look into it. How does it do privacy wise? Does it call home? Send data?
>>
>>55385292
>disable all the bloat
dumb question, what would be considered bloat on firefox?
>>
>>55385445
I think he means like Pocket intergration, but I could be wrong.
>>
>>55385272
>chink botnet
>>
>>55385388
Or you could just go with Pale Moon.
>>
>>55385659
Pale Moon doesn't install on my machine.
>>
Iridium is Chromium without the botnet.
>>
>>55385445
>dumb question, what would be considered bloat on firefox?

Go to tweak list.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Firefox
>>
>>55385028
esr is like long term support for enterprise, the gimmicky features dont come there
>>
>>55385801
Thanks I will use this. Does it get updated tho
>>
>>55386137
Updates every few months.
>>
>>55385801
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package iridium-browser
sg@glados:~$ sudo apt-get install iridium-browser

I followed the instructions on the website, and its not finding the package. :/
>>
>>55386226
did you try just iridium?
>>
Last time i checked the iridium website it had not been updated in months and they did not have a build for unbuntu 16.4.
>>
>>55386171
the latest version is from march 2, 48.2

thats way behind
>>
>>55386249
sg@glados:~$ sudo apt-get install iridium
[sudo] password for sg:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package iridium
sg@glados:~$ ^C
sg@glados:~$
>>
>>55384925
i would use chromium in a heartbeat if it had tree style tabs
>>
>>55386435
Well first, you should really type
sudo su

so you don't have to keep typing sudo over and over.

Do you have apt-file? Maybe try to find iridium.exe through that?
>>
qupzilla - open source qt browser, built-in adblock and rss reader. No extension.
>>
>>55386499
I do not have the apt file, since I cannot download it. They do not supply one on their site.
>>
>>55384925

>Uses more CPU and RAM, made by Google, I'm signed into Google with it, so I have no privacy with it.

>Can change it around a metric fuckton more than Chromium, privacy is respected and can be (is for me) enhanced, uses less RAM and CPU.

This is /literally/ all you need to know.

I recommend GNU IceCat, personally, but others may as well also suggest their favorite FF derivative. I can tell you that almost all my speed and crashing issues with IceCat ARE GONE since I switched two weeks ago after 3 years of Firefox. It just got unbearable (versions 45 to 46).

Now I'm one step closer to freetarded bliss, since GNU IceCat is 100% free software.

The cons include crashing if you try to restart the browser with more than two tabs, randomly freezing up every now and then for no apparent reason, still being based on FF ESR 38 as opposed to 45 because the developers haven't made the moves yet, and... that's about it. You will be able to open many tabs without crashing, including on YouTube.

Please listen to this guy >>55384976

And remember that not only does Firefox have extensions to really make your browser werk, it also has an about:config that is both extensive and decently intelligible, as opposed to Chromium's which is easy to understand but not very wide ranging.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
>>
>>55385801

Not even Iridium seems trustworthy.

>>55385659
>>55385717

Pale Moon is Windows only and it's not worth installing a virtual machine for.
>>
>>55385292
how would you restore your profile? wouldn't that undo the reboot
>>
>>55386651

You use the extension FEBE, besides the fact that Firefox puts your old profile folder on your desktop after the deed is done.

The saving your profile part is just for you to go back if you need to.
>>
>>55386523
apt-get install apt-file

then
apt-file search iridium.exe //this may be horribly wrong
>>
>>55386676

.exe isn't for GNU/Linux. It's for windon't. I doubt it will work, therefore.
>>
>>55386604
>Pale Moon is Windows only
No?
http://linux.palemoon.org/
>>
>>55386715

Okay. I remember this being the case a couple of years ago, possibly incorrectly.
>>
>>55384925
From what I can tell, Chromium is more of a hog if you have more RAM, and can actually be slimmer than Firefox on a more limited machine. I've got both installed on 2 laptops:

Thinkpad, 16 GB RAM: Both perform about equally well under normal use because the machine's more than fast enough. But open a lot of tabs or use certain web apps and Chromium starts to gobble RAM and get slow.

Shitty old netbook, 4 GB RAM: Firefox lags like a bastard, but Chromium opens reasonably quickly and I can actually browse with a couple dozen tabs pretty comfortably. Chromium lags more when playing Youtube videos -- this is the one thing that Firefox does better on this machine.

My theory is that Chromium eats RAM until it sees the OS is low, then starts garbage collecting more. With loads of spare RAM, it gets enough cruft to make it get slow. But with more limited RAM, it keeps up with its mess and actually can be quite lean.

I generally prefer Firefox where I can run it comfortably. It's more customizable, lets extensions do more, and is better about privacy.
>>
If you actually cared about your privacy you'd be blocking everything be default and whitelisting what you need. Just use Chromium because it doesn't chug ass like FireFox does.
>>
>>55387882
How do you block it from downloading and executing arbitrary blobs from Google?
>>
Why can't they just make Firefox as fast as chromium?
>>
>>55387996
What part of the speed? Some is actual differences in how it works inside -- Firefox has roots back to the old '90s Netscape codebase. But some is just perceptual. Scrolling feels snappier in Chromium for instance because by default smooth scrolling is off, and Firefox's smooth scrolling adds a bit of delay.
>>
>>55386715
I used to love the fuck out of palemoon but they've been slacking hard lately and it really shows :/ using waterfox as my go to now
>>
>>55388049
loading pages, posting on 4chan, watching videos, it just fucking hangs 24/7. chromium never hangs
>>
>>55388268
Perhaps your profile is crapped up. Try resetting Firefox. That or your computer isn't powerful enough for it. It's certainly a little more CPU hungry than Chromium, but at least the Windows builds are quite usable on anything that isn't a netbook that shipped with Vista.
>>
>>55388295
resetting does fix it, then the problem comes back after a week. it's a hassle.
>>
Unless widevine now works on Firefox for Linux, Chromium.
I used Firefox until an update broke pipelight (Netflix wouldn't work with pipelight though, I used it for other reasons).
Chromium is much better IMHO, if you need privacy just have tor browser also installed
>>
Instead of using Chromium, use Inox. It's Chromium without any of Google's spying bullshit.
>>
>>55388371
>then the problem comes back after a week
Then you're doing something wrong. I don't know how you're managing to crap up a profile to the point of lagging in a week. Are you, like, installing all the extensions or something?
>>
>>55384925
>Servo
Chromium cuck btfo
>>
Chromium/Chrome: everything works, faster, muh botnet
Firefox: almost everything works, slower, muh privacy
>>
Google Ultron: just werks
>>
>>55384925
Inox is the botnet free Chromium. It doesn't have google account bullcrap and takes a less amount of RAM
>gtk2-filechooser patch included
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/inox/
>>
>>55388969
windows build?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.