[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
wireless router
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: aclk.jpg (1 KB, 172x172) Image search: [Google]
aclk.jpg
1 KB, 172x172
what is the best wireless router and is it pic related?
>>
>>55374614
>wireless router
All in one shit is garbage.
>>
>>55374616
wait... so how do i get 5ghz wifi?
>>
Is the wrt1900 a good buy? I need a gigabit router guys.
>>
>>55374675
A dual band access point like a Unifi AP AC Lite, some random managed switch, and a Edgerouter Lite.
>>
>>55374614
>and is it pic related?
Lol, nope.

>doesn't even have a fucking web interface
That only belongs in the trash.
>>
File: ASUS_RT-N16.jpg (53 KB, 800x559) Image search: [Google]
ASUS_RT-N16.jpg
53 KB, 800x559
This has served me well.
>>
stay away from the netgear r7000 nighthawk.

extremely fast speeds - 50mb/s on 5ghz even 2 floors down but the thing constantly drops connection through wifi AND ethernet.

Checked around, im not the only one having this problem.

Installed Advanced Tomato and it seems to help A LOT but id still steer clear of this model.

>paying $250 for a router

Parents were using a 7 year old Linksys and it was bottlenecking our speed everywhere since we have 75/25
>>
File: basedwrt54gl.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
basedwrt54gl.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
>>
>>55374987
this looks awesome...
is this the one that had a range of 1km in Iran to give internet to his Girlfriend?
>>
>>55374715
>Unifi AP AC Lite
but isn't that just as expensive as apple products?
and less performance?
>>
>>55374922
Yeah, I've got a co-worker who bought that piece of shit, and the only way he got it to even remotely function was installing DD-WRT on it.

Meanwhile I've had 3 Asus routers (none of them died on me, just upgraded the new one sand gave the old ones to my family who needed better routers) and have never once run into a stability issue with the factory AsusWRT firmware.

Just give their new products like 3 months on the market to let their firmware get stable and then you can pick one up and never have to worry about it crashing on you.

At least in my anecdotal experience.
>>
>>55375257
>Unifi AP AC Lite
Cheaper (half the price of the newest apple airport base station), and no, it will perform better. The max throughput specs look lower but that doesn't mean shit. When's the last time you got max speed over the air on anything ever?

Also, if you really cared about the max theoretical numbers, you can just get a Unifi AC Pro. It's still 2/3rd the price of the Airport base station and has the same max throughput specs, but will by far outclass its real world performance.

AND, if you need additional APs in your house or even in your backyard, you can add one and it'll handle handoffs seamlessly, which is very troublesome to do with consumer APs.

There are also tons of other features but if I started listing them I'd just run out of post space.
>>
Just bought Xiaomi Mini Router and installed OpenWRT on it.
Previously I read on the forum that WiFi performance is garbage on 15.05.1 (Chaos Calmer).
Turns out it's true.

I'll try this router for several days, maybe I'll upgrade to trunk or PandoraBox.
Trunk doesn't have Luci installed by default, which is annoying.
>>
honestly i got an older generation apple time capsule 1tb for $40 not too long ago. running a powerline to it so i have my own personal wifi upstairs since all the family members love saturating the connection with netflix all the time.

never dropped wifi even if it is an apple product.
>>
>>55374746
Airport utility is better than any web interface
>>
>>55375257
all told you'd probably spend about 200 bucks, but you will realize better performance. I don't see how you think it's lower.
>>
>>55374614
>Best wireless router.

Doesn't exist
>>
>>55375603
You realize that max throughput numbers are just both bands combined, right? They all do 866Mb/s on the 5GHz band.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.