[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Funtoo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 4L_Xp7Gpk1B.png (12 KB, 630x267) Image search: [Google]
4L_Xp7Gpk1B.png
12 KB, 630x267
Why do people use this over Gentoo? What're the main differences?
>>
it's FUN-TO-dO
>>
Vanilla Gentoo is best Gentoo
>>
Precompiled kernel
>>
>>55351398
Funtoo has its own portage tree. It's synced with Gentoo daily, so it's never really behind it. But the difference is that Funtoo uses git instead of rsync for portage. That's a big advantage for Funtoo.
>>
>>55352113
Aside from not being able to do one of the easier steps of the Gentoo installation process?
>>
Back in the day the creator of Gentoo had a falling out with the Gentoo board, so he basically forked Funtoo to make Gentoo fun again. The rest of us washed our hands of source based distros, grew up, and started using binary distros that had finally matured enough to compete with Gentoo's package manager.
>>
>>55351398
I use gentoo.
>>
>>55352523
You must be drowning in pussy
>>
Funtoo uses the gentoo repos, the debian kernel, and someone else's boot cd to install from. What in funtoo is actually funtoo?
>>
>>55352401
Not really that big of a deal. Especially since Gentoo moved to Git repository.
>>
>>55352453
>the creator of Gentoo
No
>The rest of us washed our hands of source based distros, grew up, and started using binary distros that had finally matured enough to compete with Gentoo's package manager.
Name one package manager that can compete with Portage
>>
Funtoo uses pre-compiled packages and some other overhead you dont really need.
Gentoo can easily create binary packages (quickpkg, emerge --buildpkg) that can later be shared between hosts.
it even allows to cross-compile different architectures, so you can also build packages for your slow raspberry or whatever.
Funtoo should not be a thing in my opinion...
>>
>>55354961
pacman
>>
>>55355079
>erases custom .conf files after every update.
Nice try Archfag.
>>
>>55351398
If you can't find the main difference, why would people use Gentoo over Funtoo?
>>
>>55356311
>Oh I never used Arch btw
>>
>>55352401
Gentoo officially moved to git a few months ago ya know?
>>
There isn't really any advantage, lack of official systemd support.

You can add the funtoo portage tree as an overlay and just mask everything except for the packages you want to use if you actually want to use one of their alternate binary kernels, there really isn't any reason to though.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.