[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Artifacts'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: artifacting.jpg (872 KB, 765x1355) Image search: [Google]
artifacting.jpg
872 KB, 765x1355
What are these things called? Are they 'artifacts'? Screen-tearing?

They flicker rapidly, shrink/expand horizontally but not vertically. they happen on the desktop and browsing the net. I think it's different from 'screen-tearing' in games because screen-tearing happens when the frames can't keep up and v-sync isn't activated, and it only happens during movement. This is different because there is no movement but the artifacts themselves. Anyone know what this is? Because Google doesn't seem to know.

I'm asking out of curiosity and a love for technolo/g/y, not as a tech support question. This thread is meant to promote technolo/g/ical discussion, so please discuss.
>>
>>55349531
Your GPU is dying.
>>
>>55349531
artifacts,
Screen tearing is something completely different.

Go cook your graphics card in a oven.
>>
Those look pretty rad, like a cool burning effect on ur screen
>>
>>55349559
Could be his monitor or cable dieing too.
Does it do the same thing on a different screen?
>>
>>55349554
>>55349559
>>55349560
;_;

>>55349595
Haven't tested on another screen, but changing the monitor's refresh rate to a lower setting makes these go away. I just wanted to know what they were called because 'artifacts' have been described as random colored blotches of big squares, small pixel anomolies, dead pixels, screen-tearing, etc. People seem to use 'artifacts' to describe many different things. Wanted to narrow it down to a single word/description.
>>
That is some weird shit, haven't seen that before.

If its happening on a static screen and they move around I would guess its your LCD, but you should plug it into another machine and try another cable to rule that out.
>>
>>55349531
I had that on an old Compaq from the late '90s. Turned out to be a dying graphics card, like the other guys said.
>>
Your GPU is suffering pain. Man up and shoot it.
>>
Happened on my old Acer aspire 3000 laptop, it would be fine for hours but the moment the chipset has to change power states those lines appear and don't go away until after a reboot.

Upon inspection there is appears to be considerable motherboard warping around the chipset and CPU socket.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.