[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I wanna build a mini ATX or similar computer after having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault.jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
146 KB, 1920x1080
So I wanna build a mini ATX or similar computer after having to use a y510p for 3 years. I play games and that's basically all I will be using it for but I want to go as cheap as possible for 1080p ~60fps high-ultra Witcher 3 or DOOM. Ive been on the fence about going intel or amd and I cant decide. Also with the release of so many video cards so fast these past few months Im lost there too. Any advice?
>>
File: the man.jpg (2 MB, 10000x6575) Image search: [Google]
the man.jpg
2 MB, 10000x6575
>>55345804
>mini atx
>>
>>55345804
>y510p mah niggah
On topic, if you can wait see what the new amd cpu's will bring. Or if you can't wait go for Intel.

Made a build with a Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI, i7 4790k and a GTX 960.
>>
If you want to go AMD, wait for Zen. AMD's current chips consume much more power/run hotter than Intel's chips and don't perform as well. Zen looks to fix that.
>>
Did you mean mini ITX, or micro ATX?
>>
>>55345804
Delete your stupid gaymen thread and go to /v/

saged
>>
>>55345804
"Cheap as possible" doesn't really give us much to work with anon. What's the absolute max you're willing to spend- a grand? 800? 1500?
>>
>>55346053
>As cheap as possible

Probably Micro ATX for him. Also easier for first-time builders.
>>
>>55345804
i3 6100, gtx 480, fast ram. z170/asrock SKY OC mobo if possible
>>
>>55345804

Get an i5 and RX 480 on Micro ATX/mini ATX.

Will un you about 600~700 for a full build
>>
>>55346081
>gtx 480
Nigga wat
>>
>>55346072
There are bigger ITX cases that are easy to work in. Like the Define Nano S is almost as large as micro ATX cases because it's designed for water cooling and easy cable management. I think mini ITX motherboards are generally cheaper as well. But yeah, I'd go micro ATX for a first timer if they ever need the expansion slots and stuff.
>>
Don't fall for the mini/micro atx meme like I did. The extra space a regular atx case takes will be well worth it
>>
>>55346302
Really? I just moved to mini ITX and love it. It really depends on your needs.
>>
>>55345804
>Get micro-ATX in whatever case you like
>Go for a 1151 intel i5, like the i5-6400 or 6500. Whatever your budget allows
>AMD processors are shit, especially for gaming. New ones are coming end of the year
>Get a cheap motherboard with H170 chipsets. Chipsets like the B150 or H110 are inferior, while Z170 is meant for overclockable processors.
>Get cheapest single 8GB RAM stick from a popular brand
>buy a new AMD RX480 8GB model, check benchmarks
>get samsung 850 EVO SSD in at least the 250GB model, 500GB if you can afford it
>Get 1, 2 or 3TB HDD from WD or Seagate if you want extra storage
>Your processor has a cooler bundles which does the job, but can be loud at heavy load. Get a Cooler Master EVO212 for better performance for a small budget
>Get a 500W PSU from a decent brand like Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair. There are tons of shills that get wet about Japanese capacitors and dream about voltages and minimal ripple, but for the average Joe it doesn't matter. If you care about sound production, check graphs that test PSU's in different wattage load scenarios

common misconceptions
>nvidia isn't always better, look up benchmarks
>16GB is unnecessary now
>you don't need an i7 for gaming
>>
>>55346019
Except in DX12, the cheaper Octacore AMD chips outperform the skylake i3.

If you can get something like the 8350 for under $100, go for it.

Keep in mind, with the Zen processors, you're also talking about more expensive motherboards too.

Problem is, there are no good AM3+ mini ITX boards.
>>
Not OP, but I did a sample mini ITX build just to show what's possible. This will be a bit over $800 once the rx 480 is available to buy. But you could easily save money by cutting back on the SSD space (I went with an m.2 drive for cable management reasons, I know it's a SATA one so it won't be faster than 2.5" SSDs, but it also costs on par with regular SSDs) and getting a weaker GPU like the rx 470, but I'd recommend against that since you're saving like $30 on the GPU by doing that, and you'll be using the card for a long time probably.
>>
>>55345804
>>55346363
quick pcpartpicker list:
>http://pcpartpicker.com/list/y98wVY

If you have some more room in the budget, upgrade the i5 to a 6500 for $20 more and add HDD in the storage amount of your liking.
The GPU has no real store due to availability problems.
The Fractal Design Define S Nano is beautiful, but $80 ($30 more than the popular Corsair 200R). Depends on whether you care about looks and inside-case-stuff like materials, cable management etc.
>>
>>55346476
>going with a 250 gb SSD when thats your only storage
I tried that to save money, ended up buying a 1tb HDD to store my single player games on anyways. And 500gb SSDs aren't much more than that specific 250gb SSD now. I'd either go smaller SSD + HDD, or just go all out for a bigger SSD now.
>>
Cooler Master Elite 110.

Do it.
>>
>>55346588
My laptop has a 120GB SSD as only storage and has 75GB FREE (of the 111GB actually available). It has all the basic programs you need including Photoshop and Office.
250GB is more than enough for botnet W10 x64 with default programs and a handful of games.

If the budget allows a 500GB SSD would be recommended. Adding a HDD in the future is really simple.
>>
Fantastic. I think I'm gonna go with the Intel i5 / 480 (with non reference cooler) options. I already have a old gold corsair 550w and hyper 212 eco plus a lightly used 1 TB WD black so having said that hopefully I'll come under $700. Price really isn't a issue due to massive amounts of per diem I get from my job but Im still a cheap son of a gun.
>>
File: motherboard standoff.jpg (24 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
motherboard standoff.jpg
24 KB, 600x600
If you're new to building PCs, remember to use the motherboard standoffs.
>>
>>55346136
>I think mini ITX motherboards are generally cheaper as well

Not true. You're paying for portability. Micro ATX is small but not so small it requires any re-engineering, so it works out cheaper than ATX and Mini-ITX. If you're looking to save money, I'd say go Micro-ATX.
>>
>>55346465
>3000mhz Ram
>H110 chipset

Pretty sure the H110 doesn't support RAM faster than 2133mhz. I know the H170 chipset doesn't, so I assume the H110 doesn't either.
>>
>>55347126
You're right. I just didn't change the ram from what I was using PC part picker for before.
>>
Why go mini? Instead build to improve over time since you really have to, why have a dead end computer? I would go big really bog with lots of room to upgrade and work in. Like the cooler master cosmos or the obsidian. hen you can upgrade with ease and never have to get another case!
>>
>>55347569
>Instead build to improve over time since you really have to, why have a dead end computer?
Because the only thingsy ou need to improve are graphics card and cpu/ram. GPU can be replaced and cpu/ram need new mobo anyway.
>>
File: current build.png (67 KB, 955x609) Image search: [Google]
current build.png
67 KB, 955x609
While we're talking mITX build, how's this for a build? The GTX980 is used off a friend and I'll replace the H170 with an H110 mobo (had a k CPU, but removed it) and the 2400Hz RAM with 2133Hz, thanks >>55347126

>>55347569
Space saving, and many people don't really need upgrade able PCs, this is just a PS and OBS machine at best
>>
>>55347789
That build looks good to me.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.