[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is OpenSUSE unpopular? It looks like an good distro. It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: kevin owens.jpg (480 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kevin owens.jpg
480 KB, 1280x720
Why is OpenSUSE unpopular? It looks like an good distro.

It has user repos and it has corporate backing. What's not to like?

photo unrelated
>>
File: YaST2-2.18.25.png (254 KB, 1920x1171) Image search: [Google]
YaST2-2.18.25.png
254 KB, 1920x1171
>>55332771
There is no reason. It's a great distribution and yast is nearly perfect.
>>
>>55332771
>an good distro
a good distro
>>
its not as good as the other options
>>
>>55336074
>not giving evidence
gtfo
>>
>>55332771

presumably people just don't like kde, but personally I'd say it's a completely fine alternative to the major distributions i.e., ubuntu and fedora

other than that, linus torvalds had a bit of a spat with the opensuse devs/maintainers: https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5

>I first spent weeks arguing on a bugzilla that the security policy of requiring the root password for changing the timezone and adding a new wireless network was moronic and wrong.

>I think the wireless network thing finally did get fixed, but the timezone never did - it still asks for the admin password.

>And today Daniela calls me from school, because she can't add the school printer without the admin password.

>Whoever moron thought that it's "good security" to require the root password for everyday things like this is mentally diseased.
>>
>>55336139
Thanks for the constructive reply. Though Torvalds response seems a little knee-jerk autistic to me, looks good, will be downloading
>>
>>55336139
>presumably people just don't like kde
Nothing stops you from changing the DE.
>>
>sponsored by amd
>© 2015 SUSE LLC
>>
>>55332771
>Why is OpenSUSE unpopular
quiet userbase, quite the opposite of loud and obnoxious arsch-linux tosspots
>>
>>55336245
Sure, but there's also nothing stopping you from just downloading another distro that comes with a DE you like by default. What's so compelling about OpenSUSE, anyway?
>>
File: 1464007174159.png (142 KB, 714x634) Image search: [Google]
1464007174159.png
142 KB, 714x634
>>55336459
>What's so compelling about OpenSUSE, anyway?
yast
>>
>>55336738
It is that good? I might have to consider OpenSUSE when I buy a new computer sometime later this year. I was going to try out KDE/plasma anyway.
>>
>>55336245
>Nothing stops you from changing the DE.

I know but it's de facto kde distro and people tend to use fedora/ubuntu for the reasons that they put out a good gnome (or whatever the fuck ubuntu calls their spin) experience out of the box

by contrast fedora's kde spin has always been a broken unpolished mess and it caused the lead maintainer to leave around fedora 23's launch claiming it was their worse release yet

an opensuse maintainer also ported the firefox file picker to qt so you get thumbnails in the filepicker so that's a major prop to opensuse in my books

>>55336182
>Thanks for the constructive reply.

if you want a bit more of a constructive reply, I really like that opensuse has a community maintained LTS release, the regular release schedule, as well as a rolling release variant (tumbleweed)

afaik it's the only major distribution that offers an official LTS/release/rolling release lineup, at best you'll find a LTS/release lineup with unofficial rolling release (fedora rawhide, debian testing/unstable) but those aren't without their problems or just LTS/release if you're lucky
>>
>>55332771
Its slow compared to other distros I've used. Also yast, at time, will just not open.
>>
>>55337010
>an opensuse maintainer also ported the firefox file picker to qt so you get thumbnails in the filepicker so that's a major prop to opensuse in my books
Learn to name your files properly and you won't need thumbnails.
>>
File: 1466274534054.png (95 KB, 547x435) Image search: [Google]
1466274534054.png
95 KB, 547x435
>>
>>55337057
>Learn to name your files properly and you won't need thumbnails.

I'm a photographer and end up with hundreds of generically named photographs, implying I need to edit, post-process and organise as well as individually name the files before I'm allowed to import them to an editing program or upload to somewhere with firefox is so laughably naive it hurts

there's no excuse for gtk devs to not have implemented it already considering there were patches floating about for years and afaik was even in the gtk2 file picker eventually (however firefox switched to gtk3)
>>
>>55332771
It's weird. That's why
>>
>>55336406
If we're talking particularly about this board, Gentoo clearly takes the cake.
>>
File: IMG_20160630_063328129.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160630_063328129.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>55336892
Not that anon tho. I've used opensuse for a very long time (back from it was only suse). I got 2 "officials" DVDs for 11.0. YAST is just your classical system settings on steroid. Everything you need tonsetup your computer GUI. Boot loader ? No prob. Samba for file sharing ? No prob. User permission ? No prob.

Cons :
-The partitioning part of the installation is always a clusterfuck and will destroy your typical noobuntu user. Don't get me wrong, it is very powerful. Just deorganized. If you have multiple disks/partitions and you do the automatic setup it will destroy your setup, spwcailly if you dual boot windows or another distro...
-as soon as you install change from ifup or whatever the fuck they use to network manager in yast.
-packet wise... You will find everything as in others distro however some package will be under Packman repo (non free software). Expect stable packages over bleeding edge, same goes for kernel updates.
-KDE is the defacto desktop so the other desktops... Receive less love. If you don't like KDE then expect some rough edges.

Pros :
-Their KDE implementation is marvellous . everything just werks™
-yast as I mentioned before
-if you have an AMD card you can expect better compatibility ( I honestly don't know how theydo it )
-one click install. Specially helpful for noobuntu or windows users.
-as some mentioned Firefox is integrated with KDE and they did a fucking good job. No rough edges, no big blocks of nothing at top. The file picker works just fine.

I have no opinion about tumbleweed(rolling release) as I don't use it.
>>
File: pöö.jpg (125 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
pöö.jpg
125 KB, 375x500
>>55337506
>-KDE is the defacto desktop so the other desktops... Receive less love. If you don't like KDE then expect some rough edges
talking about opensuse 11? :D
i use leap with gnome because kde did not like my exotic dual screen setup (vga and svideo) and i haven't yet met any "rough edges"
>>
>>55332771
>shitty name
>shitty logo
Same as fedora
We can't take you seriously if you use a distro with a name like that
>>
>>55337506
Sounds like it's worth trying out, at least. So far I've only used Mint and *buntus, but I figure I should branch out since I'll be doing a brand new install anyway. At least I shouldn't be able to mess the partitions too badly if I do it on an empty SSD.
>>
>>55337607
>We can't take you seriously if you use a distro with a name like that

forgive those two distros for not appealing to the edgy teen gamer ex-windows convert crowd, I'm sure you'll be missed

spoiler: nobody in the real world cares
>>
File: 1462321494074.png (431 KB, 556x644) Image search: [Google]
1462321494074.png
431 KB, 556x644
>>55337607
yeah dude
arch has a cool name and cool logo
nerd cred up in this biaatch
>>
>>55337624
>>55337627
Spotted the fedora tippers.
Sorry for hurting your feelings but in the real world people do care,
everything that sounds like a toy or from a MLP can't be taken seriously.
Fedora and opensuse are in this category.
>>
>>55337573
VGA + s video ? That's interesting. I run DVI + HDMI and never had a problem. But I'm the norm and not the exception. Oh well...
>>55337621
Go for it. Just remember to install from the DVD image and not the live cd image. Remember to update after the install and you should be good
>>
>Why is OpenSUSE unpopular?
It is of Nazi.
>>
>>55337573
>svideo
Sure is TNT2 era in here. How's that 640 x 480 and lack of 1:1 mapping working out?
>>
>>55332771
It's popular, just overshadowed by debian and such
>>
>>55336459
OpenSUSE comes with all of them and asks on install. I don't know why everybody thinks OpenSUSE is a KDE distribution...
>>
>>55332771
All its 3rd party repos are dead, all you got are OBS repos but those are bullshit (random people post random code at random intervals and the best you can do is trust them like a good goy, or start up your own OBS repo, which is a lot of managerial work).
Whereas opensuse 10.3 and under delivered high-quality patches on software, improving features and stability, they now only break everything and make shit crash every 5 seconds despite the program with the same version working just fine on other distros.
It requires systemd like most other mainstream distros today which is another point of contention.
>>
>>55339304
Because historically, they didn't provide any patches against other DEs to improve their stability or experience, but they did provide a fuckload of patches for KDE.
>>
>>55332771
It's the Java of Linux distros

Want something that does pretty much the same but with better transparency and more up to date packages? Use Manjaro or Arch
>>
>>55340350
>Manjaro or Arch
ayyy this
use a mene distro instead of something that just werks
>>
>>55336139
You can put together a custom version of it really easily, through their website. I played around with that a little bit but never downloaded, or installed it. I do seem to recall that it gave the option of leaving kde out completely, and using something else instead.
>>
>>55340350
>Manjaro
cancer
>Arch
go back to the desktop thread
>>
>>55341407
>>55341755
>just werks
lmao
>flagships the most unstable DE in history
>third party repos are a ghost town
>every other update breaks something
>its centerpiece is a Windows-control-panel-like doohickey that overwrites your configs without asking
>yum is objectively inferior to pacman
Manjaro even has a better KDE config OOTB if you're into that piece of crap
>>
>>55341835
Oh yeah, and the image hassles
>raw disc image format that needs a dedicated tool in Windows to burn, nope can't have iso like literally everybody else because we're all schwulretarden
>link to said tool is borked on their very own wiki and has to be DLed from their forums
>recent (40+) iterations couldn't even run the distro live because of a bug (has this been fixed yet?)
>random OBS packages result in 404 links a significant amount of times
>>
File: jouni.jpg (57 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
jouni.jpg
57 KB, 720x540
>>55341835
what is you
only 3rd party repo i have enabled is packman
every other update does not brake something
control-panel-doohickey is there so you don't need to tinker with text files
what is you talking about yum, opensuse uses zypper
mane you hella silly
>>
>>55336139
>Not giving your kid admin rights
>>
>>55332771
Used it when it was boxed and shit (version 6? or so). It was awesome.

Since Version 10 or so, it randomly broke for me. Random dephell at upgrade/installs, random breakages.. I still try it once in a while, and it never changes.
Don't know how they manage that.
>>
>>55341953
In Windows you can use Rufus in dd mode to create a bootable device.

Avoid the live iso's, they are unsupported and never work.
>>
>>55336406
You must have filtered threads containing "Gentoo" because those mother-fuckers are worse than anyone.
>>
File: bugs+baby.jpg (47 KB, 648x480) Image search: [Google]
bugs+baby.jpg
47 KB, 648x480
>>55337768
Oh neat! I wanna play too!

>spotted the 12 year old summerfag

Shit, this is almost like an Easter Egg hunt. Do I get a chocolate rabbit? I wanna easta egg, I wanna easta egg! Kek you probably won't get the reference being a 12 year old faggit and all.
>>
>>55341835
Exactly this.
>>
>>55334673
That design is fucking awful.
>>
>>55346160
It's a tool, not an art object.
This nice little tool gives windows admins the ability to administer a linux server. This is why suse is one of the major server distributions.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.