[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMAZON
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: jeff bezos.jpg (27 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
jeff bezos.jpg
27 KB, 580x388
What's it like working for a Amazon, /g/ents?

I'm interviewing there in August for a programming job.. Not sure what to think of them.
>>
Pure sex.
>>
>>55325417
does the term slave labor mean anything to you?

Just for an example of how they treat employees:

There are amazon warehouses that are actually MILES long.
You are not allowed to eat except outside, or in the cafeteria, which is near the entrance.

If your lunch starts at 12:00, and you're on the far end of the complex, you need to spend YOUR LUNCH TIME walking out to the cafeteria to eat, then WALK BACK to your station.

There are some people who I know worked in a warehouse, and they'd only get 5-10 minutes for lunch unless they ran from their station to the eating area.

Oh, and you'll be fined by any supervisor that sees you running, as its a health hazard.
>>
>>55325417
Doesn't it have an extremely high turnover of staff because working there is so awful? I remember reading that.
>>
>>55325417
Enjoy working 90 hours a week for less than half what Googlers get paid.
>>
Go to glassdoor.com. Punch in Amazon - go to reviews. Sort by rating to get worst first (ascending). Start reading. Assume half of the bad reviews are bullshit. After this I think you'll still agree it sounds like a living hell.
>>
>>55325481
Hur dur I read a two paragraph new article last year on the working conditions of amazon warehouse workers so I must know exsactly how amazon treats every employee hurr dur.

He's applying for a programming position not a warehouse yuppie postion, you fucking tard
>>
>>55327821
If this is true, then it says a lot about the way the company treats its employees. You think a programmer is indisposable? Go back to your anime and doritos, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>55325417
I had a friend that worked there. He said it was worse than hell. Got out of there as quickly as possible.
>>
>>55325481
I work in an Amazon warehouse.

We get a break every 2 1/2 hours. After clocking out for lunch you don't have to clock back in until 30 minutes after your clock out time. Why the fuck would you want to run its a warehouse not a gym they need to ensure you're dumbass doesn't trip and fall. I'll take any questions
>>
>>55325417

Which location? I have a lot of acquaintances that work there.

The general consensus is that the benefits are pretty awesome, but middle management is pretty shit tier. This leads to stuff like employees only becoming the numbers they produce or the metrics.

This could either get worse or get better. I am going to lean towards worse since companies do not get better as they get bigger. Do what everyone does at Amazon. Use it as a stepping stone to a better job.
>>
>all these MS shills in this thread
>>
>>55325417
>I'm interviewing there in August for a programming job

I know someone who applied, got an interview, flew out did an in person interview, and got the job in under a month.
He is starting first week of July

If you cant get an interview right away, you arent gonna get the job. You are a fall back guy in case their good applicants fall through.
>>
https://stallman.org/amazon.html
>>
>>55325417
You're going to hell

www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0
>>
>>55328518
Sounds awful, but it also sounds like its going to make you a better programmer in the end.
A year or two in boot camp
>>
>>55328441
I love Amazon, and I use them constantly.

But they are a shit place to work for.
>>
>>55328595
This. My buddy recently left Amazon for a much cushier job after slaving away for a few years. He described being in their QA dept as very stressful, being constantly micro managed and putting in tons of overtime, having to rotate on-call weeks between himself and his team, always worrying about his metrics and constant performance reviews, and the fear of his team's current project being canned and then have to try out for another project by basically doing the interview and assessment process all over again, and losing his job permanently if he fails (it happened several times in his tenure and luckily always managed to get rehired until his departure last year). It paid well and he learned a ton but it beat him down.

One thing that stood out was how he described the "alpha" culture there at Amazon. They are constantly challenging you to be better, and my friend got fit and developed a much better fashion sense as a result of working there, along with his professional development. They will bust your ass, but I'm sure if you stick it out you will be much better for it in the end. Go for it, OP, challenge yourself and get a few years in if you manage to get hired. my friend doesn't regret it, and despite how harsh it is in there I'm sure you won't regret it either.
>>
>>55325417
>>>/biz/
>>
>>55328289

I probably sound like a condescending dick, but I'm just curious.

What exactly does your job entail?

Do you just put stuff in boxes? Or do you have to do more than just that?
>>
>>55328422

You know the guy that slightly damages every product he touches or places inside a box?

I'm that guy.

I break your shit because I can't afford it with my minimum wage niggerjob.
>>
>>55325417
they are pretty much my favorite company in the U.S. at this point. just as good as google. i order stuff almost every other day, the prices are unbeatable with prime.

also does anyone have the dash buttons, and are they worth getting?
>>
>>55325417
I'm currently doing my second internship at Amazon. I find it to be a very nice work environment. My team and I often take hour or longer lunch breaks. Pretty standard working hours, 9-5 or 10-6 depending on when you like to come in. It also depends a lot on your manager. I work in Marketplace which tends to be a little more laid back than a lot of the company. I know AWS pushes their employees more than most, so I'd assume most horror stories come from there. If you do well in your interview, I would make sure that you talk with a potential team member, and make sure they are happy themselves with the work life balance, because everyone internally knows they get a bad rap.

If you would be working in Seattle and SLU, it is a very nice place to work. Food trucks everywhere and the weather is generally nice all year round. Good luck on your interview!
>>
>>55330985
Sorry for the late reply there are different areas that all have different jobs my specific area is a packing zone so the majority of the staff there does just pack. When I started I was a packer but would always make numbers so they moved me up to rebin which is grabbing items off of a conveyer and place them in chutes that the packers grab once all the items for an order are present. Once I made high numbers there they moved me up to induct which was placing items in bins that went to rebinners. Once I did well in that they cross trained me in problem solve which is pretty much standing at a computer and completing orders with lost items and last minute completion of orders that need to go out to the trucks asap.

Your question wasn't condescending at all. Honestly this is your pretty average job I honestly think it's super easy. It's a great college job or even a stepping stone if you plan on moving up in the company.

Managers start out at 60k a year so a lot of the people working there are trying to move up in a few years.

Not that you asked but I do plan on moving up to an assistant manger for the time being while I complete my associates and try to get into help desk at a local hospital.

If any of you are thinking about working at an Amazon warehouse it really isn't as bad as you think. I've met some of the most genuinely nicest people I've ever worked with.

They also pay tuition if that's something you want too.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.