[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ So do you guys have any good suggestions for books about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: thisiswhatidliketodo.jpg (117 KB, 738x516) Image search: [Google]
thisiswhatidliketodo.jpg
117 KB, 738x516
Hey /g/

So do you guys have any good suggestions for books about graphics APIs and how to properly do computer graphics? I've always wanted to make my own game engine.
>>
>>55322460

Watch OpenGL tutorials on youtube anon.

Your best bet is C++, but Graphics can be done in Java. A game engine is far more than a renderer and graphics pipeline tho.

That great big game development book that everyone recommends doesn't go into enough depth.
>>
>>>/3/
>>
>>55322583
I'm planning to start simple. Maybe 2D. At the most a doom engine clone.
>>
File: 81HP+upmFML[1].jpg (331 KB, 1145x1499) Image search: [Google]
81HP+upmFML[1].jpg
331 KB, 1145x1499
http://learnopengl.com + pic related

For 2D games the knowledge in these two is maybe a bit overkill. At the end of the day 2D games is generally just putting quads on the screen with sprites on them.

I'd recommend you don't just copy and paste what learnopengl says. It teaches you the concepts but it doesn't do it in a flexible or extensible way, so you're going to end up with a bunch of programs that only do one thing rather than an "engine" as such.

I'd recommend you target OpenGL 4.3 if you can. You end up leaving a lot of people behind (I don't think Mesa drivers support it yet and no idea about Mac) but you also get compute shaders and SSBOs which I think are great. If you want max compatibility you need to stay with like OpenGL 3.2 or something.

Use http://docs.gl for an API reference, it also tells you which version all the functions are available in.
>>
>>55322971
Cool, thanks

What about DirectX? Should I be worried about learning that as well if I want to one day do this professionally?
>>
>>55323062
Yeah but it'll be easier to learn when you know OpenGL already. Same with Vulkan and DX12, even if they're very different in terms of how you write them they still contain the same core concepts.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.