[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say I wanted to host my own website on my own server, but di
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: virtual[1].gif (22 KB, 255x367) Image search: [Google]
virtual[1].gif
22 KB, 255x367
Say I wanted to host my own website on my own server, but did not have a spare computer to make into a server, and did not want to use Gotitty.com for hosting.

Would I be able to run a virtual machine in linux/ubuntu from the computer I normally use, and assuming I set up everything correctly, connect to my website via the internet in any web browser out side of my virtual machine?

I.E, could I host it on a virtual machine on my computer, leave the house, go over to my friends house, and access the website hosted on my virtual machine via some sort of domain name on his web browser.

Anyone have experience with this? I googled it but my initial thought would be that it isn't possible, given that a Virtual Machine is well, virtual. But it seems that it might be possible based on one page that I read.
>>
>>55319719
How stupid are you? No, seriously, OP. I cannot believe you googled shit.

Running a VM from your own computer, is perfectly doable if you have the RAM and CPU for it. Yes, you can access your virtual server from outside of the VM, google harder. Open up a port on your router, target the VM ip address and figure out the rest.
>>
keep reading kid
>>
>>55319946

Eyy dawg, I just wanted some more opinions before I wasted my time attempting something impossible.
>>
>>55320031
It's not impossible, you wanted some opinions?
Google harder, better, faster, stronger.
>>
Make sure your ISP allows that.
Most ISPs don't. Thoroughly read your TOS.
>>
>>55320054
>>>55320031
>It's not impossible, you wanted some opinions?
>Google harder, better, faster, stronger.
Top kek
>>
>>55320094
Lol maybe in the 3rd world
>>
>>55320094
>>55320131
most will block standard ports because they dont want residual consumers from hosting content.

There's a reason why business plans exist.
>>
>>55320094
>america
>hahahaha

Anyway, here's a rough guide if you're running windows, and Linux in a Hyper-V machine

1) create VM and install lincuks
2) add a network adapter and create a virtual switch share internets to the VM
3) set up port-forwarding/port triggering on your modem/router (port 80 and 443 is you want SSL need to be forwarded to the IP of the VM)
4) write down your public IP address assigned to you by your ISP (google: my ip)
5) go to friends house
6) browse http://<your public IP>:80 or https://<your public IP>:443

With linux installation and everything, this can be done in 30ish minutes easily.
Hope you know how to setup nginx or apache on the linux VM and how to configure it...

That's pretty much it, if you want to assign an domain, you better have a static IP or sign up for something like noip (dynamic DNS).

Hope it helps.
>>
>>55320242
Do we really have to spoonfeed people that come to /g/? There is a reason the sticky exists, a reason the wiki exists, the reason we tell people to google better. /g/ is not tech support.
>>
>>55320242

OP here, thanks for this.

>>55320287

I don't see a problem using /g/ as a tool to learn and gain a bit of information into something I'm interested in trying.
>>
>>55320287
He seems like a total tech moron... I remember when I started (and back then everything was 10 times more simple) it was confusing and scary to the point of me almost quitting because everything was overcomplicated and communities (specially linux forums) toxic as fuck.

I'm sure once he grasps the rough idea outlined in my post, he'll know what to search for and google. But the beginning is the hardest.

Stop being a faggot, no wonder linux has less marketshare than opera. You are the reason.
>>
>>55320287
To add more to >>55320383

Try getting into heavy metal devops stuff right now. Containers, god forbid you tried to get into unikernel app deployment.

You'd quit within 30 minutes if you had no one to explane a thing or two.

Just leave, you are this boards kidney stones.
>>
>>55320383
Pretty simply put, the main focus of this post, can I access my website that is running inside a VM? This has nothing to do with linux, fuck you.
The answer is yes, you can reach a website from outside of a VM running on your own computer.
>>
>>55320442
Ofcourse, you'd think I quit, maybe I would, but I know I'm not a tech moron, I know my way around searching around the internet for bits of information and find answers on my own. The only one you'd need to educate on tech is old people.
>>
>>55320481
I will literally chop off my dick if you create a system to automatically package static HTML content and deploy it on for example AWS as unikernels inside a host VM.

And that's just one example where I'd put my dick on the line, and I'm sure 120% I'd keep it between my legs because you wouldn't be able to google your way out of it because you wouldn't even know what to start googling.

Same for OP, he has absolutely no knowledge, and I gave him the roughest answer possible. Now he at least knows steps needed and what to google for to achieve what he wants.

Now go be kanker somewhere else.
>>
>>55320577

Op here. I can confirm this.

I've always found an initial direction of where to look to be much more efficient than going in blind.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.