[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Client Fraud + Freelancer + Remove App from Play Store
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 6gMRtQyY.jpg (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
6gMRtQyY.jpg
7 KB, 400x400
Hello Friends, I am an Android Developer working as a freelancer.
3 months back I have started working with a client as front end Android developer.

The client was very unreasonable and demanding. Although the work was challenging that's why I continued working, assuming that would help me challenge myself.

- Last month I released Android app on Play Store, they are managing backend
- I have not submitted final source code to them
- Application is working fine and there are over 300 concurrent users using this application in Beta Release

I tried to reach out to the client for pending payments -

- He started avoiding calls / not responding or with an excuse of I am in meeting
- Last week I took tough stand about pending payments
- They denied, and said work is done as expected so we will process any of your payments (that's 2 months full time freelancing efforts)
- I suggested removing the application from Play Store if you are not satisfied, they said it's our intellectual property

Application is already uploaded to Google Play store, and I don't have access to remove the application

They are not interested in source code either, in such circumstances what steps or actions I need to take. ??

Thanks
>>
>>55314674
Name the app. Kek
>>
>>55314674
It's probably not their IP yet
>>
Depending on where you live, getting on work fraud to court should not be difficult or costly.

You still need to drop some $, but you'll make it up with more in the end.

You do have a contract, don't you?
>>
>>55314674
I don't know the law to be honest, but since you can prove you are the one who made it and they haven't paid you yet, doesn't that mean it's not their int. property yet? Unless you made an shady contracts but I doubt that for a freelancer.
Maybe wait a bit more and if nothing happens, proceed legally against them, I guess
>>
Go find and talk to an IP lawyer, and just pay enough of a retainer to have him throw down some threatening letters. Usually for small time shit like this, that's enough to shake something loose. If they dig in, be prepared to walk away, or expect a pyrrhic victory, because a full lawsuit is going to be a few grand at least, and take fucking forever. Scare them, hope they fall for it, then walk away. Otherwise, you're just gonna get screwed with just the hope of screwing them as well.

Next time, don't be fucking stupid and ignore the warning signs. If the code interests you that much, just change the application and do it for yourself you dumbfuck.

Oh, and no matter what the contract says, if they don't pay you, it's not theirs. The trick is to prove it, and that takes time and money.
>>
>>55314674
Poo in the loo sandeep
>>
>>55314674
One phrase you'll never hear:
"Is that the Android developer's Ferrari?"
>>
>>55314674
>- They denied, and said work is done as expected so we will process any of your payments (that's 2 months full time freelancing efforts)
i have no fucking idea what that's supposed to mean
>>
>>55314674
>>55314790

In this case the customer refuses to buy/pay for the IP, work and software, essentially breaking the contract deals...

Now, OP you don't say whether it's your own contract or theirs, or how the IP rights are laid out. If none of this has been arranged on paper, you're stupid...

In my experience, the worst thing you can do, is sending ANY source code to the customer before everything is paid for and done.

Also, depending on juristiction, you have to add Copyright/GPL text with your name/company to every source file you have, before you can do any claim to your code.
Alternatively, the contract has to establish exactly who owns the finished code (eg. "the intellectual property rights for Incomplete and released source code, as well as any updates, patches, fixes and additions to the project source code, are the sole property of OP Solutions Inc, unless other terms have been stipulated in written form")

If you have given them previous versions of the code without any legal text reference, it's usually considered public domain... meaning if the customer is tech savvy enough, he can screw you over and add fixes himself

The very first thing I would do, is to demand they take your app down from the play store until payment is settled.

after that you can:
1.) Get an IP lawyer to look through the contract. (in some countries there are arrangements where you can get free counsel from a lawyer, otherwise get one to keep on call)
2.) Along with the lawyer, write your client a settlement offer.
3.a) if they settle with you, you're good, and you can keep selling your product to them, provided they keep paying for your services.
3.b) If they don't settle with you, you fight them in court and lose the rights, you're screwed
3.c) If they don't settle with you and you fight them in court, and win the rights, then you can sell your app as your own...
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.