[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into programming and coding as an absolute beginner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: shutterstock-programming.jpg (1012 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock-programming.jpg
1012 KB, 3888x2592
How do I into programming and coding as an absolute beginner?
>>
>>55309970
code academy dot com
>>
instal gentoo
>>
Learn python or ruby first. Pick something easy
>>
>>55309970
INSTALL GENTOO
>>
>>55309970
learn C++ from a beginner book if you are serious about learning programming

or Python if you're a fag
>>
>>55309970
APL is the way to go.
Learning something hard first makes everything else easier.
>>
>>55310563
> 1960's language that is completely dead

fuck off troll
>>
>>55310730
>Completely dead

Used in government systems
Traffic control systems
High-power mathematical machines

How about you fuck off of /g/ you tech illiterate retard
>>
>inb4 back2leddit

I know /r/learnprogramming has a FAQ with a table about which programming language you should learn first(learn C for microcontrollers, learn Java for desktop programs, etc.) Give it a look, think about exactly what it is you want to program, and get cracking. Check out a book, go on khan academy, anything.

If all else fails, learn Python. You can use it for a lot.
>>
>>55309970
Take a class, or join a coding club. My "urban" step daughter joined her school's black girls code club, and her brother is taking AP computer science next year.
>>
>>55310847
Are you seriously arguing that APL is relevant because of legacy code?
>>
>>55310931
if only they had coding clubs/classes at my poor school of 300 kids
>>
>>55310969
Switch to an inner city public school, like where my kids go. Even though most of the kids there are poor, they have plenty of resources thanks to government programs.
>>
>>55310020
it's actually codecademy

not codeacademy
>>
>>55310950
Are you seriously trying this hard to try and prove APL is irrelevant because you're unable to comprehend it cause you're an absolute retard?
>>
>>55309970
install gentoo
>>
>>55309970
If you are in the US, look into some classes at your local community college. Otherwise, look into a MOOC.

www coursera org/learn/python

This seems to have a nice and gentle curriculum for an absolute beginner. It goes through the basic building blocks that you need to understand in order to start to understand any computer programs, regardless of language.
>>
Start by learning binary. Then move to something easy like assembly.
>>
>>55309970
>>>/g/dpt/
>>>/g/wdg/
>>
>>55311817
>Something easy
>Assembly

Oh, piss off.
>>
>>55309970
PROJECTS.. Do tons of projects. Make a matrix multiplier, Make a calculator, Make a silly game like tic tac toe. Programming is a skill and it must be honed. Start with a simple scripting language like python. Then do all of those projects over again using a good programming language like c or java.
>>
>>55309970
go through the Harvard CS50 course on edX
>>
>>55311615
Nobody is going to be programming APL code nowadays.
>>
>>55315199
Actually there are people that still do.
Especially for air-sealed networks and highly secured systems
>>
>>55312474
THIS! Don't waste 2 years doing basic exercises like me. Stagnating is not good and not fun.

Books, courses, and videos will inform you; but the only way to git gud is with time and effort. Simply do personal programming projects that interest you, and make sure that you're always learning something new.

As long as you ALWAYS A) keep coding, and B) challenge yourself, then the sky's the limit.
>>
>>55309970
>programming and coding
whoa whoa, slow down there buddy
one after the other
>>
>>55315048
+1 for CS50x, it's a fantastic starting point
>>
>>55310529
c in 2016 lul
>>
Learn JavaScript and become a code monkey
>>
Learn LISP
>>
>>55309970
Pick up a book. And read.
>>
File: 7iGkjN3.jpg (25 KB, 320x275) Image search: [Google]
7iGkjN3.jpg
25 KB, 320x275
>>55309970
all these suggestions to start learning programming with something as abstract as languages
it's like you want OP to fail
>>
>>55312474
>>55315957

yeah, this pretty much, just do projects, any kind of projects, talk to ppl, say hey lets do this or that, you need to practice your fingers, its not science its skill, just work work work, and learn from past mistakes
>>
>>55319685

>its not science its skill

Best point in the thread.

To further reinforce it: ask yourself why you want to learn programming? To write research papers or to make cool shit?
>>
>>55311841
You have been trolled.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.