[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/, I'm finally trying to build a very basic computer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 31NiYotXnDL.jpg (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
31NiYotXnDL.jpg
10 KB, 500x500
Hi /g/,

I'm finally trying to build a very basic computer, as I've been playing on a ASUS X551MAV laptop for three years, but have been a poorfag. Will around $300 be a good amount to spend on a decent tower?

Pic related
>>
What kind of workloads are you planning using the computer for?
>>
For gaming? No.
For anything? No.
>>
>>55299447
Not very demanding games,
Cs:go, Skyrim, payday, maybe rust.

I work most of the time so I just want something I can kick back and enjoy on. I'm sick of getting 30 fps
>>
>>55299475
I'd suggest he takes the prebuilt Dell + GPU route.
If there are dumpsters in his area, that could be a great advantage.
>>
>>55299518
Dumpster diving is a better option?

I can spend more as well, my paychecks are usually around $600 every two weeks, I'm just also working on my car as well.
>>
Playing?

It's true that $300 of desktop gets you much (much) more than $300 of laptop but $300 is in the odd zone where used parts start being viable.

If you're implying you should get a prebuilt, you really shouldn't.
Like seriously. Don't get a prebuilt.
You get $200 of computer for $300 with prebuilts.
>>
>>55299603
Do you have any tips on building my own?
I have a few buddies that could be helpful, but I'm pretty hopeless by my own right now.
>>
>>55299511
You could build an APU build that'll perform well enough for all those for less than 300
>>
>>55299634
But it's money poorly spent. Not end-of-the-world bad, but when you can find the occasional Z400 workstation for under $150 on CL with the same CPU performance you could dump a $100 370 (rebranded 7850) into, or find used 7870/7850's for under $80, or just put together an i3 build with discrete GPU for $420 that would be 2.5-3x as fast, it's hard to suggest going for the APU route.
>>
>>55299518
Depends. I try dumpster diving but never find anything newer than two gens back and even then it is low end with tons of wear and tear. Wouldn't trust a junkyard PSU or MOBO. Pretty much just RAM, storage and a case to be had if hes lucky
>>
>>55299712
I can definitely spend around $400.

Do you have any suggestions for parts?
>>
>>55299630
logicalincrements.com can help a lot. Pick parts, order them, put them together.
Youtube build videos can help with the assembly (it's expensive legos). Number one tip when putting it together is don't drop things. Don't drop the damn parts, don't stand on them, that sort of thing.

I recommend against an APU build. They're not bad, they just have ZERO upgrade path. If you want something better you'd have to spend a lot more money replacing everything.
>>
>>55299780
Dumpster diving is good for cases. Get a free case, save $30-40.
>>
>>55299795
Thank you very much

I'll check it out.
>>
>>55299780
Well yeah. Most I've dumpster dived is an old Oscilloscope.
But then there's people like Dave from EEVBlog where Dumpster diving is literally walking to the store and carrying out pre-builts.
>>
>>55299788
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hTvsJV

As the other guy said, you can find cases for free. Around here you can find 500GB hard drives for $15 on CL, and the occasional 1TB for $20 if you're lucky. (though more often they ask more than they're worth new)
Check for video cards too. They travel well. Though ask someone if it's a good deal before you buy. CL has a lot of overpriced junk.
>>
I do like my Craigslist.
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/sop/5619195774.html
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/sop/5650521378.html
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/sop/5653678725.html
https://hartford.craigslist.org/sop/5656097946.html

7950's for $100. GTX 660 for $50. GTX 670 for $110.
Nothing that's a hugely massive steal right now, but certainly very nice for the price.
>>
>>55300447
* 660 Ti for $60, too
>>
>>55299511
>maybe rust
no. runs like shit on high end rigs.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.