[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: 1458854391351.png (179 KB, 375x271) Image search: [Google]
1458854391351.png
179 KB, 375x271
Stupid, questions, thread, etc.
Google first, dont bump, help others.
>>
Previous thread: >>55284993
>>
File: 1451767534285.png (85 KB, 525x527) Image search: [Google]
1451767534285.png
85 KB, 525x527
So i finally managed to create a bootable win 7 install usb however as soon as i get past the welcome box it gives me this STUPID fucking retarded CD/DVD device driver missing error every single time.

I have literally tried everything at this point. The problem is that my netbook i'm trying to install win 7 on does not have any kind of dvd drive. I even put out the 2,5" hdd and put it into a sata bridge to install win7 from another PC on there but the retarded kikerosoft devs are apparently to stupid to make the windows installer work on external hdd's for some reason.

So yeah, i'm back to square one now and no matter what i try the fucking error doesn't resolve itself. I even tried injecting proper usb 3.0 drivers into the iso via the intel win 7 usb creator utility but instead of booting up properly into the install screen now it's permanently stuck on a black screen when i boot from the thumb drive.

The funny thing is that i somehow managed to get win7 on said netbook once before but i forgot how i managed to do that and now it's not working at all fuck

I am literally fucking desperate at this point, how the FUCK do i make this stupid retarded bitchass shit work fuck fuck FUCK
>>
File: 1467010745617.png (26 KB, 668x729) Image search: [Google]
1467010745617.png
26 KB, 668x729
Also the reason i want to reinstall is because i turned on file compression by accident when i merged two partitions earlier and this fucked up the bootmgr for some reason. It says bootmgr is missing every time now.

So yeah the OS itself is still on the hdd but it refuses to boot up. I tried the startup repair/recovery console but no matter what commands i put into there from other threads it does not fucking work

How do i fix the missing bootmgr lads cmon
>>
I'm trying to copy my files from my microSD card to my computer. This is by microSD > microSD to SD adapter > SD to USB adapter.

I think there's something up somewhere along the chain since it keeps dismounting during transfers, and this is on multiple computers.
>>
How do I know what stores on ebay are worth buying from? Even the 'proper' stores look amateurish.
>>
>>55296290
Its probably the card reader, try a different one.
>>
>>55295894
Is there a way to make windows server 2012 look more more drivers?
It only really seems to find a few drivers, while windows 7 8 and 10 will download pretty much everything which makes me think it isn't "looking hard enough" for drivers
>>
Have a live USB for Ubuntu, need a live USB for Windows.

Can I boot into Ubuntu off the USB then reformat the drive it's on?
>>
>>55296290
I'd say the SD to USB adapter is the culprit. Get a Enlight 3.5" SD adapter (look on google,it's a big multi reader),connect it to a usb header on your motherboard,and check if it works.

>>55296263
Look for a bootmgr file on the root of your HDD. If it isn't there,try to copy it from the Windows DVD to the root of HDD,and try to see if it boots.
>>
What's a good language to learn for freelance work? I'm coming up in my fourth year in my CS degree, but I feel like I don't really know much and figured I'd learn something useful while I have this much free time.

And is the Web Design general any good? Or are they the same animu loving autists from the desktop threads?
>>
>>55296336
Wait,you want to format the USB that Ubuntu is on,while being on the live Ubuntu on the USB? Well,no,you can't. You need a Ubuntu install on the HDD,and from there you can use your favourite USB install application for Linux.
>>
Is the gentoomen library torrent dead? The tracker "ccc.de" gives me an error.
>>
i want to upgrade my ram and the motherboard has 4 slots of ddr2 and supports max of 8gb, should i buy 4 dimms of 2Gb or i can get 2dimms of 4Gb in case i upgrade the motherboard to a newer one that supports 16gb with the same cpu?
>>
I'm using win7 and google couldn't help:

My mouse is locked, it lags when I click, I can't click on anything, and my stereo makes beeping noises when I click/scroll.

What do I do? I got here via keyboard shortcuts
>>
>>55296478
DDR2 is obsolete, anything new you would buy would not be compatible.
>>
>>55296500
im about to replace ddr2 with ddr2 modules, so for everything new i bought it works
>>
File: images.png (1 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images.png
1 KB, 284x177
which one of you faggots was this?
>>
>>55296514
Your question was whether you should buy a different size RAM to carry over to a new motherboard
If you got a new motherboard it should not be using DDR2 and thus planning like this is pointless.
>>
>>55296533
the questions was about the number of modules. new motherboard was a future scenario in case the one i have fails and i want to buy jsut a newer motherboard with the same socket that can support 16gb of ram instead to upgrade to a newer platform
>>
>>55296344
>>55296344
>Look for a bootmgr file on the root of your HDD. If it isn't there,try to copy it from the Windows DVD to the root of HDD,and try to see if it boots.

Alright so i tried to do robocopy from usb to c:\ bootmgr, it said the operation was completed succesfully however with robocopy from usb \Boot to C:\Boot /s it says it can't find the file specified or something ("System cannot find the file specified")

Also when i do dir c:\ /ah it says 0 files found or something

The startup repair says that the boot mgr is missing or corrupt too and that it can't find the file

Wat do now
>>
>>55296676
>>55296676
Also i tried marking the partition as active via cmd too as apparently that did the trick for some people but in my case it still doesn't work so yeah
>>
>>55296676
Wait,what did you use to copy it?

You need to do this from the Windows DVD CMD window - boot into the DVD,and do this:

1.SHIFT+F10
2.Go to your DVD drive,and locate the bootmgr (should be root of the DVD I think)
3.Write copy bootmgr C:\ and press enter.
4.Reboot.

You need to copy the bootmgr file (it won't have any extension) to the C:\ root. Why did you use robocopy is beyond me.
>>
What are the cons of using a private tracker and what do most people us it for
>>
What is a good video encoder? I always used ffmpeg, but I don't know it is good.
>>
>>55296705
>>55296705
Alright so i'm at the root folder of the installation medium, did a directory listing and this is what i get

>setup.exe
>Program Files folder
>sources folder
>Users folder
>Windows folder

No bootmgr to be found though which i could copy onto C:\

Wat do?

I used the robocopy thing cuz that's something i stumbled upon here in this article so i decided to just try it out .terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411

Also as i wrote above the netbook doesn't have any inbuilt drives so that's why i'm using a bootable thumb drive with the win7 iso on it. I tried this stuff before with an externally connected drive but this gives me frequent I/O errors so even getting into the install screen is a pure gamble, the usb thing is more reliable in this regard
>>
>>55296183
Go into BIOS and check that USB 3.0 is disabled that usually helps
>>
Within the sources folder there's a file called boot.wim, i don't suppose that's the clean bootmgr i'm looking for though
>>
>>55296814
>>55296863

Okay,I need you to tell me if the drive you listed there is X:\. (windows setup has a X:\ drive)

If yes,try changing to D or E drive. You have to see which one is your HDD and which one is your pendrive,omitting the X:\ drive which is just a temporary PE environment drive.

Usually,your pendrive should list this:
>support
>sources
>efi (think this is optional,doesn't matter in what we need to do)
>boot
>setup.exe
>bootmgr.efi
>bootmgr
>autorun.inf

Now,from all these,the one that we need is the one before autorun.inf (in my list) - this is the one that you need to copy - do this by going into the root of your pendrive (D or E,depending on what letter your USB drive was assigned)and doing this:

1.Do a "dir" to see the contents.
2.Write "copy bootmgr C:\"
3.Check your C drive. If it worked,your laptop should boot.
>>
Heh, i mounted the iso on my main machine now and suddenly the two bootmgr files popped up into view (one of them is just listed as "file", the other one as "efi file")

For some reason it doesn't show up within the cmd on the netbook or doesn't get recognized, no wonder the copy didn't work earlier

Alright i'll give it another go now with the efi file
>>
>>55296899
Copy both. If your notebook is UEFI based,it may need it.
>>
>>55296795
Cons are that they can be hard to get into and require you to keep a good ratio. People use it because they have more obscure shit on them.
>>
>>55296796
ffmpeg is pretty much the best there is
>>
>>55296964
More like the only one there is. Everything else is either a fork of it, based on it, or just plain shit.
>>
>>55296893
>>55296893
Yeah it's all listed from X:, i didn't know it was a special temp directory just for the whole installation process, the thing is i actually didn't know the drive letter for the thumb drive up until now but just did a checkup with wmic and now i know that it was separate the whole time

What's also weird is that there's two removable disks listed despite only one thumb drive being plugged in at this moment in time

HOLY FUCK and now i just got this after i successfully copied the bootmgr onto C:

>Windows boot manager - Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
>File: \BOOT\BCD
>Status: 0xc00000f
>An error occured while attempting to read the boot config data
>>
>>55296910
>>55296910
Nope it's still not working, copied both bootmgr files and still getting >>55297033 just now

What the actual fuck is going on FUCK
>>
>>55297033
BCD can be fixed easier I think - just follow the steps here:

http://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2015/04/17/boot-bcd-0xc000000f-windows-7/

This will fix the BCD error,unless you have windows installed on a GPT partition.
>>
>>55296523
also if you run that network monitoring software again i'm gonna tell on you
>>
Is it normal that there's only three files when i do a directory listing of C? There's just the two bootmgr files and a Temp folder

Also the "volumename" thing right next to "Local Fixed Disk C:" is empty and it says "Volume in drive C has no label." for some reason too

Could this be why the boot still isn't working?

I tried the bootrec thing listed here

.think-like-a-computer.com/2015/04/17/boot-bcd-0xc000000f-windows-7

but when i type in cd windows on C: it just says "The system cannot find the path specified."

Wat do?
>>
What does it mean when a web application is 'build on top of node' in laymen terms...
>>
>>55297087
>>55297087
Lel dat hivemind

Unfortunately in my case it does nothing/is next to useless, see >>55297204

Regardless, i did try out bcdboot C:\windows just now but this is what i get in response:

>Failure when attempting to copy boot files.

So yeah it doesn't work
>>
What database is fast and good to use with php's pdo?

Also, is there anything new in php?
>>
>>55297214
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node.js
>>
>>55297218
>>55297204
Three files? Well,I can conclude by saying your drive was wiped clean.

You have to reinstall Windows.
>>
>>55297255
>>55297255
Ah fucking hell, that means i'm at the very beginning again now >>55296183 with the stupid "DVD device driver is missing" error which doesn't go away either.

So now i can neither boot up nor install windows anew

Holy fuck
>>
>>55297281
If you have access to another Windows machine,get a ISO and write it with Rufus. That may solve your problems.
>>
>>55297281
>>55297281
Lads what's a good linux distribution which replaces windows 7 and can be installed via USB quickly and also works well on netbooks?
>>
>>55297297
Xubuntu. I have a old Centrino M laptop running it and it's pretty fast.
>>
>>55297294
>>55297294
I actually tried with rufus three times yesterday but it failed to create the bootable usb every single time, wasted almost 2 hours with that useless shit app lel

Whereas with ultra iso and the windows usb download tool it works just fine, but that's not getting me anywhere because of the bitchass stupid device driver error which doesn't go away no matter what i do
>>
If I wanted to search for something like IP cams and only search for actual IP addresses, what do I use? I can't find any option on google to search only IPs..
I only found once service that almost does this but it is behind a paywall and only shows the first few results.
>>
>>55297297
I've recently install Mint XFCE. It's very nice and light.
>>
File: DA.jpg (108 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
DA.jpg
108 KB, 576x768
WHere is the google play movies directory?

I don' want anime in my camera roll.

If there is a better app for this, please do tell.
>>
>>55297297
Fedora. Easy to use, have it on my note book and desktop
>>
File: 1467012146785.png (31 KB, 720x644) Image search: [Google]
1467012146785.png
31 KB, 720x644
>>55297308
>>55297326
Thanks lads i'll take a look at these, i actually wanted to get properly accustomed to linux for some time now anyways
>>
Have you ever accidentally cat a pdf?

Musical beeps.
>>
>>55296478
2x4gb, it's dirt cheap and saves you dimm space.
>>
In simple terms, what is rooting a phone like? A clean install with less restrictions, a patch or something else? Basically, will I have to redownload all my apps?
>>
File: cover.jpg (2 MB, 3898x3898) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2 MB, 3898x3898
How do I check why Foobar is freezing if it freezes before the console is updated?

Also, what could it possibly be if:
>it only happens to a specific album, the bands other uploads are fully functional and have essentially the exact same file specs
>it was working perfectly fine before
>a fresh bandcamp download doesn't fix it
>it works as normal in other players

Are there any sort of Foobar crash dump components out there?
>>
>>55297562
I've done it, and as far as my technologically impaired mind understands it; rooting a phone basically just means you unlock the phone's fundamental software permissions.

However, doing that will allow you to install another operating system. And doing that usually includes formatting your main drive, but not necessarily your SD-cards, so it depends where your apps are.

There are various custom operating systems out there, and I didn't research in detail but the most popular one that I'm also using is CyanogenMod. Google that, and I'm sure you'll find some basic tutorials on how to get started.
>>
>get two new 1866 CL 10 RAM modules
>old pair is 1600 CL 9
>the old modules ran at 1866 with no problems
>motherboard shows that new RAM needs 3T command rate (as in XMP)
>UEFI doesn't even have such option
>sandra shows that it should have 2T
>choose the XMP in UEFI
>it's running at 1600 instead of 1866
>sandra shows it has now 4T command rate
>set the XMP parameters manually
>PC doesn't start with those settings

Holy fuck, where is the truth? Whom should I trust?
>>
>>55297778
>>55297562
Also, I should add that operating systems seem like they are very different, so if you want the least bloated/most minimalistic one you'll simply have to browse some top-10 lists until you find one with a appealing description and then look up some reviews about it somewhere else.
>>
>Router
>Switch
>NAS
>Web Server
>Email Server
>Database Server
Can i accomplish all of this in one tower? guide me in the right direction /g/
>>
File: dell-s2415h-10.jpg (83 KB, 1193x1080) Image search: [Google]
dell-s2415h-10.jpg
83 KB, 1193x1080
Is there any difference between the S2415H and U2415H other than AG coating? Do they use the same panel?

The S2415 is far cheaper but I'll pay extra for the U if it's actually a superior display.
>>
>>55297327
Bumping question
>>
File: shieet.jpg (59 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
shieet.jpg
59 KB, 800x450
>having some overheating problems while playing vidya on my >laptop
>can't get any airflow with anything
>fuck this I'll just tear it open and clean everything (warranty has been over for 2 years)
>I've done this multiple times what could possibly go wrong
>get to the fan and see this monstrosity
>get rid of all that garbage
>put everything back together
>boot up
>finally some air is flowing through the vents
>try to play a video gayme
>after a few minutes everything starts stuttering and >laptop turns off
>rendering anything does the same
>even watching a video for more than a few minutes
>next time (this is after more than a day) I start up and speccy shows that GPU is at 70°C
>right after starting up

Soo did I fuck up the heatsink while putting all the parts back together or something?
>>
>>55297998
its normal for laptops to do that
go get a cooling pad
>>
>>55298034
Already have one.

Thing abut the GPU temperature is that it never goes down. While doing almost nothing (browsing internet, listening to music) the temperature steadily goes up instead of cooling down, that's definitely not normal.
>>
Are there any good 2011-3 mobos out there for the 6800k most reviews I read on amazon have a bunch of people complaining about shit bios.
Needs 2 M.2 ports that won't be obstructed by a single gpu.
>>
>>55295894
Any reason to keep Office (2010) up to date? Macros are disabled, and Windows (7) is up to date.
>>
>>55297998
Did you forget to replace the thermal paste?
>>
NoScript

How do I only allow certain things on specified pages, i.e only allow "googlevideos.com" on youtube, only allow "twimg.com" on twitter, etc?

Does it have anything to do with XSS? What do I need to know in order to learn about this?
>inb4 basic google skills
hehe X^D
>>
>>55298196
and what the fuck does Anti-XSS Protection even mean? Does it protect against XSS or against Anti-XSS features?
>>
File: 1466693306546.jpg (358 KB, 602x578) Image search: [Google]
1466693306546.jpg
358 KB, 602x578
What is the two way scroll wheel
>>
>>55298260
not only Anti-XSS Protection, but Anti-XSS Protection Exceptions. At least one of these words must be redundant.
>>
Had a power outage yesterday. Now Windows 7 gets stuck when booting. If I switch to IDE mode it boots, but it's slow as fuck, moreso than it should be even for IDE. Also during boot all USB devices go off and back on.

It's an SSD (840 Pro with RAPID mode enabled). Any idea what's going on? Already tried reinstalling all motherboard drivers. Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>>55298394
To add on to this, I already did sfc /scannow
>>
>>55298196
You can't get that level of fine control in Noscript. Umatrix will give you that level.
>>
File: Repair.jpg (73 KB, 650x504) Image search: [Google]
Repair.jpg
73 KB, 650x504
>>55298394
>>
>>55298461
Tried. Upon looking at the event viewer, says the SSD has bad blocks over and over again. Is there a way to recover bad blocks on an SSD or is it completely fucked?
>>
>>55298488
Try chkdsk /f /r

Hope you got backup anyway.
>>
>>55298488
to invoke the drives' bad block reallocation, you need to overwrite the block
you only get an error if you attempt to read a bad block
you're in trouble if the drive is out of bad blocks (you can work around it in some cases, but the drive will probably be pretty worn if it's out of reallocation space)
>>
>>55298523
>if the drive is out of bad blocks
er, out of reallocation space
>>
How would I go about putting my computer into a sort of minimal mode so I can torrent while saving electricity ?
>>
whats an APP THAT KEEPs all my downloaded tv shows sorted
>>
Can an airport body scanner detect a microsd card? If not, would a closed hand holding it work?
>>
>>55298644
no and no, put it in your shoe
>>
>>55298644
xray scanners corrupts microsd automatically
>>
Ff I have, for instance, a desktop connected by HDMI to a laptop, is there any software I can use to open up the desktop's video output on a window on the laptop?
>>
>>55298658
i mean - yes and no
>>
>>55298658
Put it in the tray actually, they aren't going to aks you whats on it....
>>
File: Capture.png (444 KB, 1426x758) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
444 KB, 1426x758
building an old socket 775 system because I have old parts laying around.

Can I SLI a reference 8600gt with this PNY one? It's just for novelty. performance is no issue

thank you for your time
>>
>>55298521
Helped a little bit but still pretty much unusable. This is a good chance to replace this old 128GB drive. I've never done drive cloning before.

If I understand correctly, it would allow me to create a perfect copy of my drive, with the drivers/software/registry/etc intact? Is it all software-based? If so, any recommended good software for this?

Also I assume it works just fine if the drive being written to is larger rather than the same size, right?
>>
File: hdd.png (79 KB, 941x743) Image search: [Google]
hdd.png
79 KB, 941x743
I recently installed Windows 10, and on top of a host of problems including having to manually install drivers and my key not being recognized, it isn't recognizing my HDD.

Pic related is what disc management tells me. Apparently the space is "unallocated"?

My C drive just shows up as 119GB available, and going into properties, shows both my HDD and SSD.
>>
>>55298994
Whoops, solved it as soon as I posted that, sorry.
>>
>>55298644
>put it in your phone/camera
>put it through the scanner
>nobody cares
>nobody would care even if they knew you had cartoons on it
>>
I hate dualbooting, I never have enough space for either OS. So I was thinking I would keep two (laptop) hard drives, one with each OS.

I don't know how to store the one I'm not using though. I heard keeping it in an anti-static bag is dangerous. What should I do?
>>
>>55297835
>take out the old sticks
>it werks, correct 1866MHz
>restart
>it doesn't werk
>now it doesn't werk at all when I put both of the new modules; one of them (doesn't matter which one) and the old sticks is alright though
>try mixing channels (2 x (4GB + 8GB))
>it werks
>but still at 1600MHz
Fuck.
>>
so after 2 hours of learning i can finally do in emacs what i could do in any other editor after 5 seconds
whats the point?
someone help me understand
>>
>>55298544
on linux, quit x so you are only running terminal and use rtorrent

on windows you're shit out of luck
>>
>>55298759
Yes.
>>
>>55297937
Why would you want to do this in one tower?
>>
here's a real stupid question:
Am i doing any harm installing games onto a portable SSD and playing off it?
>>
my laptop crashes often. how do i understand what kind of error that is??????????
>>
Anyone got any tips where I can start learning software development? I already know Java but I feel like it is actually dogshit. Does anything even run java on linux/windows? Should I learn some of the C languages or is there something more fundamental about software that I should learn before a language.

I just wanna pretty much make some software for windows/linux.
>>
>>55299417
just keep practicing and learning, start reading books
as for languages, they are just tools
tools doesn't fit every problem, so you learn a few of them. their strenghts and their weaknesses so you know when to use them
its all about learning the right mindset and skills
>>
what does Triple Buffering exactly do?
explain it like if you were talking to a 12 year old if possible
>>
I need to burn a bootable Windows 10 USB. Every computer in my network is heavily infected. So I came over to a friend's house to use his laptop.
Just ran antiviruses and it found 3 trojans on his laptop. Can I proceed with burning Windows 10 images onto my USB nonetheless on this computer or can these trojans tamper with the process???
>>
>>55299346
Read the error code.
>>
>>55299291
No. Not at all. Probably even better than playing it off your main drive.
>>
how can I make mpv subs be on the video instead of black bars without blend-subtitles because someone told me it has high performance
>>
whats the speed(gb/s) of a 1600mhz ddr3 ram with cl8?
or how to calculate it
>>
>>55295894
How can I capitalise on my free Ms azure? Can I use it as a seedbox?
>>
File: 1467011326799.png (6 KB, 415x416) Image search: [Google]
1467011326799.png
6 KB, 415x416
Netbook guy >>55296183 again here with an update, i actually managed to get the FUCKING thing running now, and here's how i did it;

Basically i just threw in my old vista DVD and let it install. Unlike the win 7 install DVD it immediately recognized the hdd once i turned AHCI back on. Installed perfectly fine with no error messages and nothing, it really is because of the botched horrid win 7 installer.

So the very first thing i do after landing on the fresh vista desktop is to kick in the win 7 dvd (had to opt for the x86 version but heh that's a compromise i'm willing to make), start setup, chose not to upgrade, and it WORKS JUST LIKE THAT right out of the fucking box. No missing device bogus error message or anything of the sort.

And right now i'm doing the win 7 install live from the running vista OS and will be deleting the windows.old folder aftere it's done

That was literally all there was to it, it's amazing really

But yeah i'll take a look at the linux stuff too, i guess everyone has to switch anyways once win8 extended support dies in the 2020's and there's only win10 botnet left heh
>>
Besides the DE is there any other difference between installing Ubuntu and Xubuntu or any other Ubuntu flavor?
>>
I'm attempting to download a 34kb driver update from Windows update. It has been running for a 12 hours now, my cpu has been locked at ~99% usage dedicated to wuauserv the whole time.

What the fuck is Windows Update doing that requires fucking kilowatt hours to accomplish?
>>
I've been torrenting from a private tracker recently, and while the file downloads regularly, the torrent client doesn't upload anything... Am I doing something wrong?
>>
File: 1467050037576.jpg (52 KB, 343x499) Image search: [Google]
1467050037576.jpg
52 KB, 343x499
How much more difficult is it to build/manage in a mitx case?
I kinda want a cute little system on the desk instead of the big obelisk I have now but I'm worried about temps/cable management
>>
I want to change the CPU of a shit HP prebuilt from 2006.
I checked and see that the mobo can handle a new CPU.
But can the PSU bears 10 more watts ?
It's a shitty 220W from HP, remember.
I don't want to ruin it.
Btw, do I need to disassemble the mobo to change it ? It's cooled with a shitty Intel stock cooler.
>>
>>55295894
Are there any cheap music player out there? Something smaller than Fiio and still have decent music quality
>>
i have a samsung i927. its old but it has a keyboard and replacement batteries are $10. had it since 2012 and its still going good.

yesterday though it started eating through the battery. i charged it to 100% and picked it up like 2 hours later, and it was down to like 38%. checked my running apps and theres google play services running at full speed for seemingly no reason. rebooted, cleared cache, shut it down and pulled the battery for a while. play services just destroys the battery the moment its booted up.

i had to do 'uninstall updates' to play services and now its waiting for me to login. at least like this it isn't eating my battery, its normal again. whats going on with play services thats making it run full speed in the background all the time? and why did it start so suddenly? i've had the same rom on my phone (4.0) for over 2 years.
>>
File: avast-logo.png (9 KB, 186x186) Image search: [Google]
avast-logo.png
9 KB, 186x186
What is /g/'s opinion on antivirus software?

I've always just installed Avast, and my friend always uses AVG. However, my most computer savvy friend swears that they are worthless and never gets viruses (ofc he avoids fishy sites)
>>
>>55300030
Off the top of my head, there's cmus and Swinsian, but here's a link to alternatives:

http://beebom.com/best-itunes-alternatives/

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-desktop-music-players-1359017080
>>
I'm using OS X and I can't find any music players that I like. Should I try out ncmpcpp+mpd?
>>
>>55300079
I was referring to hardware player
>>
Is there a program or some such that is able to control USB controllers? I play a fair amount of flight sims and what not so always have my throttle, joystick, rudders, etc. all plugged in, but when I go to play another game, they often pick up one of them as a console controller and don't let me use a mouse until I manually go into the usb controller in windows to disable them.
>>
>>55300144
Oh... Sorry about that! I'm a lot less in the know of the hardware players, but here's something you *might* be looking for

http://lifehacker.com/5894125/five-best-non-ipod-digital-music-players
>>
>>55300186
thanks!
>>
Is there an updated list of this? http://nanami-tan.info/
I have Windows 7, but maybe on a future I have to update to 10, or maybe even go back to any Linux. If there are pages like that for those post them too. Thanks anons.
>>
>>55299656
bump
>>
>>55300077
They do work. But they only catch obvious stuff. Cleverly obfuscated shit will still be able to get in. So if you will go around launching every virus.exe and xxx_pronz.avi.exe you can find then nothing will save you. Antiviruses are just a first line of defence, you always should think first before you act.
>>
>>55299901
>what is a seedbox

no one wants to use your shitty connection
>>
>>55299645
--sub-use-margins=no
>>
>>55300030
AGPTek G02S

>>55300077
only good for old people and retards
>>
I plan to learn a lot about servers (both win and Linux ones) in VMs. Does using SSD improves performances of VMs? Or is it just sufficient RAM that matters?
>>
>>55298883
Download Hirens or ultimate boot CD on USB drive. see if you can still read from the drive. if you can you should be able to copy the data to an external HDD.
>>
>>55299193
After some point you will be able to do stuff with emacs that you will not be able to do with a regular editor however long you learn them. The question is - do you need all that fancy stuff and do you have time to invest into it?
>>
>>55300479
Gotcha... And when you purchase a seedbox, is it a subscription or a buy-once, keep for a while type of deal?
>>
>>55300563
it's usually a monthly subscription
>>
File: IMG_3177.jpg (204 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3177.jpg
204 KB, 1600x1068
Is there a way to make these Comcast udta's not act like pieces of shit?

It's only the basic model but it still doesn't even work half the time. It's mainly for my mom to watch channels that we can't pick up with an antenna.
>>
File: vlp.jpg (116 KB, 602x452) Image search: [Google]
vlp.jpg
116 KB, 602x452
What is the lowest profile DDR4 RAM available?

Looking for something as in pic related, but can only find the tall ones for DDR4...
>>
>>55300514
Or should i just install all VMs on my HDD?
>>
So I have a couple of old Windows PCs that I used as a child that I want to save and store as is for nostalgic hoarding purposes. They'll be like little musuems of my youth.

HOWEVER

I'd also want to make backups and sort the files in some capacity since it's quite chaotic right now. Have any of you got any tips and recommendations for programs or tools that can help me lessen the tediousness of the manual workload? Similar to SpaceSniffer for example.

I wish I had some sort of protocol to follow to make sure I don't forget anything. Doesn't help that my current machine is in a similar state of disarray.

TL;DR File sorting programs/tools and tips for a Windows PC?
>>
>>55299591
Thanks!
>>
>>55300597
One without a heat spreader, obviously
>>
What do you think is better ?
Avast free + Tinywall or Comodo Internet Security.
>>
How can I swap columns in Excel? I don't want to copy&pasta all the time.
Just column 1-2-3 to 3-2-1 for example. Only 1 and 3 to 3 and 1.
>>
>>55295894
De_dust2
>>
File: Asus_C624AQ.jpg (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Asus_C624AQ.jpg
24 KB, 500x500
Would this monitor be total crap for muh gaymes?
https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/C624AQ/
It's 1080p IPS with 5ms GtG. I'm worried about ghosting and input lag. I feel like it should be fine but I'm stupid and don't know shit.
>>
Anyone has the picture of the /g/ phone?
>>
File: minimize close firefox.png (2 KB, 106x70) Image search: [Google]
minimize close firefox.png
2 KB, 106x70
Is there any way to chnge the minimize/close buttons just for Firefox on Windows 7?
>>
File: P4170584.jpg (105 KB, 1024x818) Image search: [Google]
P4170584.jpg
105 KB, 1024x818
>>55295894
Am I the only one who thought OP's pic was a Mayan city till they clicked on it?
>>
>>55301179
Thats the point.
>>
>>55300483
thanks
>>
>>55300514
>>55300514
>>55300514

Any help?
>>
>>55301311
you have to understand your application

no one can tell you whether you will benefit from an SSD or not when we don't know how you are using the server or how much RAM you will have installed
>>
>>55301179
Always see it as an ancient Greek/Roman city.
>>
>>55295894
When I power down my Dell XPS, leave it off for a day or so and boot it back up it loses a bit of battery power. What gives? Is there a safe way to turn off the quick boot which I suspect puts it into hibernation rather than turn off?
>>
>>55301196

>tricking people into watching a diorama is considered trolling now

Some people have too much free time.
>>
>>55295894
is that the acropolis?
>>
>>55301311
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/206638-researchers-ssds-struggle-in-virtual-machines-thanks-to-garbage-collection
>>
I can't get the fuck off Kubuntu and I just want muh Windows back. All the usb's I write with ISO's aren't bootable and I feel like I'm going to kms. I need guidance
>>
>have 2500k
>great (meme) processor, but wouldn't mind upgrading
is there anything out there I can get that'll beat it for less than $300? (including motherboard)

obviously I'm not gonna get a 2600k or 3570k, so I'm not sure if there's anything worthwhile. should I just save up for Skylake? is Skylake already out dated?
>>
>>55301479
I'm not going to say wait for Zen.
But I'm not going to say don't wait for Zen.
If anything don't not wait for Zen.
>>
File: MSI-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G-2.jpg (143 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
MSI-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G-2.jpg
143 KB, 1024x819
Is it worth upgrading from an R9 390 to this for 1080p/60hz gaming?

Hoping one day to make the move to 1440p
>>
>>55301637
No, what the fuck? It's like not even two years old.
>>
File: Mulder.jpg (107 KB, 513x726) Image search: [Google]
Mulder.jpg
107 KB, 513x726
>>55301329
Tinfoil time: What if the ancient cities of the world are massive motherboards?!

yeah...no...it sounds kinda stupid now that I say it out loud.
>>
>>55301065
Theres an addon called "Hide Caption Titlebar Plus" that can do some tricks like that
>>
How can i know if a software obtained via torrent or ftp contains malware?
>>
>>55301945
upload it to an online virus checker (or several of them)

run it in a sandboxed VM and check for funny business
>>
>>55301720
>Independence Day style UFO hovers over the Parthenon
>giant connector dongle descends from an opening in the ship and slams into the acropolis
>Earth's boot noise sounds something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PYI6TzqYk
>>
>>55301964
Thanks

Another question: how can i check the Internet connection, in and out, of an os inside a VM?
>>
>>55302053
wireshark
>>
TERMINOLOGY QUESTION:

What's the equivalent to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_(engine)

in general programming/CS.

I need a CRYSTAL CLEAR VARIABLE NAME for the thing that starts the big loop.
>>
File: fuck yeah anon 3.png (2 KB, 94x78) Image search: [Google]
fuck yeah anon 3.png
2 KB, 94x78
>>55301894
thank you based anon
>>
hello

when i overclock my monitor, it forces constant gpu voltage and memory clock

is that normal?
>>
File: Cl8fhQNWkAACMlU.jpg (98 KB, 1200x898) Image search: [Google]
Cl8fhQNWkAACMlU.jpg
98 KB, 1200x898
>>55302114
UP
>>
How can i add info to the top menubar in Ubuntu? I want to display the stock prices of my investments and how much they're valued at etc. for easy access.
>>
>>55301990
>energy begins spreading across ancient structures
>water boils in the aqueducts
>the entire city begins to light up
>upon reaching the ruins of the Colosseum sparks start to fly
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqztd7uMvVI
>>
My laptop's monitor has an option to run at 59hz or 60hz. Which should I choose and, if you feel like explaining, why?
>>
>>55298394
Next time, get a UPS unit.
>>
I got a .aep file and found
wiggle(30,thisComp.layer("LAYER").effect("alles, moduliert")("Slider Control")*1.5)
on an Adjustment Layer. The code was made with a german version of AE and I'm working on an english version. Does someone know what
("alles, moduliert")
stands for or how I can reproduce it in english?
>>
File: nqrM4[1].jpg (91 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
nqrM4[1].jpg
91 KB, 1024x683
>>55300144
>>55300030
Sandisk Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox installed

I've had this $10 motherfucker for years
>>
>>55296183
Buy a $15 USB DVD drive.
>>
My process line in windows 7 has started to overlay videos I try and watch in fullscreen, any idea on how to fix this?

I think it's called the process line, the bottom line with the start menu button and all open programs.
>>
I'm trying to replicate this cloth background
http://display.xxx/
but can't get the javascript file to work, probably because it's massive and seems to use a lot of relative paths as part of a js engine library.

If anyone recognizes the library and can point to a git, that would be greatly appreciated. Or if you can manage to get it working with full url paths, that would be nice too. I'm familiar with tearable cloth but I like this particular engine.

Here is a JSfiddle:
https://jsfiddle.net/nbpc0so3/

Here is a copy of the js un-minified (with C syntax highlighted):
http://codepad.org/Xe1Rr5Kj
>>
I have an old HDD that started fucking up and one day decided to turn from NTFS to RAW.

I have a fresh drive on hand now. Is there a way to create a good copy of all the data to the good drive? Not sure if cloning it would also make it useless/raw
>>
What kind of ddr4 ram should I get with the i5 6500? The Intel page says something about 1.35v, but is that only required for ddr3 and will 1.2v ddr4 be acceptable?
>>
>>55295894
What's pirate bay's URL right now?
>>
>>55303223
fbi.gov
>>
So this is a question for audio fags.

I have those a pair of Apple pro speakers that came with my old imac(crystal ball speakers). I want to use them because they're aesthetically pleasing but the jack they use doesn't work with anything.

Looking around everyone says the solution is to buy a overpriced discontinued adapter called the Ifire or to mod it myself. The problem with self modding is that I would need to get an amp to provide power to the balls which would make everything all the less aesthetically pleasing.

There must be another solution.
>>
>>55303195
Use testdisk/photorec and you should be able to recover some files if the drive isn't dead.
>>
>>55302484
go with a higher number
>>
Is it ok to use my desktop case sideways?
>>
>>55303268
Well you need some sort of amp if you want them to work properly
>>
>>55303371
As long as it isn't covering any necessary vents then probably
You should also put it on the side with the heat sink facing up.
>>
>>55302114
>>55302261
Trigger maybe
I'm speaking with electronics experience, but i don't think it changes much
>>
File: 20160628_221953~01.jpg (94 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
20160628_221953~01.jpg
94 KB, 600x800
I am charging my samusng tablet with the original charger, but with a new usb cable because the original one died, but this new cable is really overheating at the place it connects to the charger, pic related.
I can put my hand on it for more than two seconds.
So, is it safe to use ? Can it destroy my tablet ?
>>
>>55303550
It could destroy your tablet when the cable catches fire and burns everything down, or perhaps when the wires melt and short circuit.
>>
What are some useful programs that I can download?
>>
>>55303640
Check the wiki.
>>
I have a blu-ray folder copied from a disc, what's the easiest/best tool to rip it to a file and mux the audio/video streams I want into an MKV?
>>
>>55300416
bump for this
>>
how do evil (pedos/terrorists and such) people using a vpn get exposed ?

or let me rephrase: are vpn's safe to use ?
>>
File: canstock9553711.jpg (9 KB, 270x194) Image search: [Google]
canstock9553711.jpg
9 KB, 270x194
>More than 10 years of experience Mobile apps design for iOS and Android
>>
>>55304168
People are dumb
You have to trust a VPN, there's not really any way of knowing how secure it is
>>
>>55304168
They're probably using Tor, which relies on people running exit nodes not being dickbags.
>>
>>55304168

I'm using the computer of a Mexican dude I trojaned as an exit node for my traffic. VPNs are memes, don't fall for them.
>>
File: Screenshot (61).png (68 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (61).png
68 KB, 1600x900
I usually use FFMPEG to convert my MKV videos to MP4 and edit them on Premiere Pro CC.

My pc have an Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40 GHz and a GTX 760, so I know Premiere Pro CC supports CUDA, but I think FFMPEG is just using the CPU and not the video card, how do I know if it is using it and how do I set FFMPEG to use the GTX 760 for rendering?

The basic command for convert videos is the following:

> ffmpeg -i input.mkv output.mp4

I downloaded the NVIDIA VIDEO CODEC SDK [ https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk ] but that is a bunch of libraries to compile your own applications with Nvidia video acceleration support.
>>
File: 35-352-022-Z01.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
35-352-022-Z01.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
Anyone here have any experience with Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 PWM fans? How good are they for airflow/radiators?
>>
>>55304958

All fans are the same.
>>
>>55295894
in how many hours is the embargo on the rx480 going to be lifted
>>
How can I check what's cached in RAM in windows 7?
>>
Manjaro KDE or Ubuntu Mate?
>>
>>55306234
To what end?
>>
>>55306672
Check what files are cached
>>
>>55306703
To what end?
>>
>>55306731
I'm just curious what kind of files it stores
>>
>>55306864
Anything that you are using....
>>
A friend gave me a broken SSD, he told me it fell and doesn't work anymore, so I'm guessing it's physically broken.
Can I go to some store or something for t to be repaired, instead of sending it to the manufacturer?
>>
>>55306957
The money you're going to pay to get it serviced + hourly rate, is going to be more then if you just bought a fucking ssd brand new
>>
>>55306957
Unlikely
>>
>>55306974
>>55306979
I see, thank you.
>>
File: curious anime grill.jpg (737 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
curious anime grill.jpg
737 KB, 1080x1080
>>55295894
Aside from stop being a NEET and buying a new laptop with a CPU from this decade, what can I do to stop mega.nz from raping my CPU or stop x265 encoded videos from melting laptop?

- sent from Linux
- Windows is not an option
>>
Can I run my primary monitor on my PCI-Express graphics card and at the same time run my secondary monitor on my motherboard Intel HD Graphics port?
Will this cause any conflicts or other problems?

For compatibility reasons I cannot plug in my secondary monitor into the PCI-Express GPU
>>
>>55306913
I suppose it doesn't cache my whole disk. And it also isn't simply caching the most recently used files (is it?)
>>
>>55307037
Throttle CPU usage or don't use those thigns
>>
>>55307037
>mega
Dont use a compromised and shitty file host
>x265
You dont. Use x264, there is nothing a consumer can tell the difference, beyond file size, or upgrade but you're too jew to do that.sceners released in x265 to be cool,it offers nothing
>>
>>55307070
It is caching the things you are currently doing, or did previously when you stopped doing the things you did

linuxatemyram.com

Read it
>>
>>55307058
Probably
>>
>>55307106
for a NEET, disk space is a precious resource and x265 is literally magic

I just have to turn off everything but my media player and it makes it doable
>>
>>55307232
>literally magic
How about no. Only the latest cards support vpx9 and have hardware acceleration for x265
It isnt needed at all.
>disk space
>precious
I'm sure mommy would give you 50 bucks to get a 1tb drive.
Hey if you're good enough you might we one each month!!!!

Diskspace is cheap.Dont download 1080p use 720p

Delete the shit you're already watched.
there is no purpose to have a "collection" of weeb shit, watch what you want then get rid of it
>>
Will 1 (one) filter and 1 (one) rule with over 1,000 emails, all separated with commas, still filter them out?

> @mail1.com, @mail2.com, @mail3.com ...
>>
Trying to apply patches
Project is the folder
Inside is the source files
The patches are in this same folder
Add patch -p1 -i "patch.patch"
It complains that it cant find the file to patch.
It is all in the base folder.
What am i missing
>>
File: icon175x175.jpg (4 KB, 175x175) Image search: [Google]
icon175x175.jpg
4 KB, 175x175
From the other thread but whatever

I'm using a old windows machine so I can access my home network from work. When I connect everything looks fine, I can still use the internet and I don't see any errors. If I try to ping something on the lan it fails and my ip is still the work ip (actually hotspot ip because I'm not at work)

Here is the server log
http://pastebin.com/7mbDAy4u

Here is the client log
http://pastebin.com/mkYyAbWT

What am I missing? Also sorry if the formatting is fucked I mostly lurk.
>>
I have a pretty stupid questions, it's something I've wondered about forever:

What does the little tick box on 4chan comments (on the top left of each post) actually do? It doesn't allow you to perform the same action on multiple posts by checking them all, so what does it do?
>>
>>55308343
bottom right of the page there is delete and report buttons for whatever post you tick
>>
Whats the best sub $200 gpu I can get?
>>
File: winxp.jpg (95 KB, 1200x619) Image search: [Google]
winxp.jpg
95 KB, 1200x619
I need a lightweight web browser for a shitty Windows XP computer. It's for my garage, so I just need to do stupid shit like check email, listen to pandora, and watch YouTube tutorials.

Firefox and Chrome are resource hogs. Midori keep crashing because of various DLL issues.

What do?
>>
I have an option of customizing a lenovo thinkpad 13 with windows 7 pro instead of windows 10. Or I can just buy an asus zenbook UXA for not much more than $700. Is this choice obvious?
>>
Anyone have any good tech related discussion forums? One's that don't involve shitty gadgets
>>
File: 1447547233368.gif (372 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1447547233368.gif
372 KB, 480x360
I haven't put together a system in quite a long time.

Planning to buy an i7-6700. Don't care about overclocking.

Can I just buy a fan for it or do I actually need some liquid/Peltier/aluminum veined thing instead? What's the right size fan for this?
>>
>>55312206
Skylake runs cool. You could probably get by on the stock cooler.
>>
What is the difference between the 4GB and 8GB 480 that comes out today?
>>
>>55312211
So it comes with one? I looked at an unboxing video and got the idea that it didn't.
>>
>>55312262
I think only the K variants don't come with a cooler.
>>
>>55296348
C/C++ and python are my main languages because they cover most any problem I face... The nice thing thing about programming though is that if you are proficient in one language then it's typically easy to switch to others. I'd always try to be proficient in a Good programming language like c or java and then also a good scripting language like python or ruby. But the most important thing for an undergrad CS major is to DO PROJECTS. Nothing gives you skills and experience or makes your resume look good like doing projects.
>>
>>55299417
Doing programming projects is the best way to get better. Java is a good language and syntax is always easy to learn if you have to switch to something else. I'd say you should pick up a scripting language like python too.
>>
>>55296183
OK friend I'm going to save your dick.

Use this from now on
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
>>
>>55296348
Bump for this
>>
>>55312296
Makes sense, thanks.
>>
posted in the other stupid questions thread but I'll ask here too

Sup /g/ help me pick a receiver.

Some details

I have a 2014 50' LG TV with a 2015 LG sound bar(2.1 channel, 320W). Connected to the tv is a PS4 and my laptop(I'm planning to add at least 2-3 more devices).

I mostly use my TV for gaming, and also listen to music through my sound bar. I would want a receiver that could do lagless passthrough since gaming is my main use for the TV. Audio quality is obviously important since I do like listening to music. On occasion I'll watch a movie but I do tv shows more than movies. I've been reading a lot that AV receivers focus mostly on sound for movies, it'd be nice to find something that makes everything (music/gaming/movies) sound nice.

Main point is that I want a receiver that can do HDMI passthrough so i don't get lag when I game.

Much appreciated
>>
I keep getting a Code 10 error with my new wireless adapter, as in it won't start.
I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, looking to delete the upperfilter/lowerfilters in regedit (there weren't any), hitting the WPS button on that and my router, looking for drivers on the manufacturer's site, I seriously have no idea what to do.
it's a Panda Wireless 802.11n adapter. it wouldn't work when I was running Windows 8.1, it's not working now with Windows 10. I can't return it and I'm not looking to buy a new one, I still have my old Netgear to fall back on but it's wonky sometimes.
>>
Where does /g/ download .apk files? I just got a new phone today after not having one for months (LG G4 Bootloop).

Really out of date due to this since blapkmarket was taken down in this time.
>>
Is there a way to make or buy a dust free box to work with hard drives?

Is there a way to maybe rent a dust free lab for this sort of thing? I have a hard drive that's knocking very loudly and I'm thinking I should open it to recover its data, it won't even mount.
>>
>>55312908
This is one of those things where if you have to ask, you shouldn't be attempting it.
>>
>>55312951
I've seen some videos where people just open it to start its spin and recover the data asap. I don't care about the drive, I just want its contents, but I guess getting some dust on it doesn't matter if I get the head working. I wonder if the knocking sound means that it's stuck or something else though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.