[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OS Migrate to new system.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: possible.png (9 KB, 657x346) Image search: [Google]
possible.png
9 KB, 657x346
Basically what I want to do is take the OS that is currently running on my system and move it to another PC entirely. Replace the OS on the current system with something else.

Windows 10 Pro was originally Windows 8 OEM w/ Pro Pack installed. Still have the Windows 8 disk as well.

Shitty MS-Pain Diagram attached.
>>
sorry, but that won't work. In most of the cases the activation key is in the bios, so you shouldn't have any problems with that.

Burn a Win10 iso, install it on your new drive, then take all the important data from the old SSD and afterwards wipe it completely.
>>
>>55295799
Use a fucking disk clone tool.

You'll need a boot drive, a sata cable and a pc.
>>
>>55296094
That was what I was thinking... but wouldn't I run into issues if it's a different motherboard?
>>
just reinstall windows.

Moving windows between machines is basically the best way to get a slow shitty operating system that is erroring constantly behind the scenes.

Fuck the licensing, microsoft don't give a shit and neither should you.
>>
>>55296244
What key would I use to reinstall windows?
>>
>>55296146
Yes. I had an Asus p6t and i7-920 and the mobile died. Got a new gigabyte mobo and 4790k. Drive would not boot, would start loading windows then BSOD.
I found a program I booted from DVD that let me basically install new drivers into the old install. I installed all the drivers from the mobo's driver CD and managed to get it to boot windows.
I only did this to disable a key I had for some expensive software, then just backed up shit I needed and wiped it and did a fresh install, then installed the software and enabled my key.
Problem is I'm not home and forget the name of the bootable program. Google a bit and you can find it or if this thread is alive in like 20 hours I'll check when I get home. It was a lifesaver.
>>
>>55296380
microsoft toolkit
>>
File: s_1.gif (48 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
s_1.gif
48 KB, 300x100
Clonezilla
>>
>>55296869
I'll keep checking in.
>>
>>55296146
You will have an issue, I have an SSD with a genuine W10 install on it but it was in my laptop. When I came back home I just put it in my desktop (you can hotswap since W8). And the install wasn't registered anymore. The key is linked to your motherboard which is absolutely retarded. You can check it on Microsoft's website, you can call MS to transfer your licence but from what I gathered this won't happen easily, or at all.
>>
>>55296146
Use clonezilla, if you run into driver problems there's no other solution other than reinstalling windows.
Either that or virtualize the old machine until you are ready to move on.
>>
>>win 8.1 OEM
>>OEM
You are fucked dude
>>
>>55296146
>>55296146
I tried upgrading from a disk to a SSD for my think-pad. Cloning the disk did not work, I assume because of driver-level issues - It would not boot. I ended up clean installing win10 on the ssd and then I transferred files manually.

I was able to look up my sitting win-10 license through the freeware program linked below. I took a screenshot and reentered the license during the clean install. I do not know if this only worked because I had the same mobo, but take this anecdote for what it's worth.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
>>
>>55295702
You can easily do this with dd, a Linux program. Create some live Linux USB and off you go.

dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=64K conv=noerror,sync

Where X and Y are the numbers of your drive.
>>
>>55298266
This
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.