[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ereaders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1466573560375.png (1 MB, 2000x3002) Image search: [Google]
1466573560375.png
1 MB, 2000x3002
I've been using KCC to convert my picture books. What else is available?
>>
I use KCC too. For RAR to CBZ conversions.
Bumping. I'm not OP btw.
>>
Using IFTTT to leech RSS and send to Pocket. And then paid $5 to crofflr to send Pocket articles to Kindle daily.
>>
>>55295025
>someone actually posted my shitty guide
I'm actually really happy from this.
Thanks OP, I use Mangai, myself.
>>
I have a Kindle Paperwhite, why would I want to jailbreak it?

I can already pirate books and copy them on there, what else can you possibly do?
>>
>>55296057
can you tell crofflr to only send certain tagged articles from pocket to kindle? ie. if I tag things with "kindle" only those will go there?

Does it work well with typical websites? I wouldn't feed into my pocket via RSS, I manually save things to pocket.
>>
>>55296490
Add fonts
>>
>>55296502
Tag filter, yes. And basically yes it will fetch new saved reads in your pocket, pack it together and send to kindle, rss is just me. Pretty much as long as pocket can read it, crofflr can send it.
>>
Are there some advantages of EPUB over FB2?
>>
>>55298636
*any
>>
>>55295025
Related question, so maybe people can help.

I want to study some books that are freely available online, most of the time in html and/or pdf.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
A couple of C/C++ books
Common List books
Functional Programmin books

Getting the paper version will set me back some 40€ *each*.

On the other side I just *can't* get myself to read them on a computer screen (get distracted, eyes hurt, I stare at the monitor 8 hours already)

What's the best device for this use case? Doesn't actually need to be an eInk reader, just something "good enough", short of printing the stuff myself.
>>
>>55296490
Custom lock screen, reading epubs without having to convert
>>
>>55298727
A tablet. Just pick your favorite tablet. Using an ereader for pdf files is a bad idea.
>>
>>55298747
Thanks for input.

Yeah, I was already thinking of something like Lenovo Yoga (ergonomic for reading) but the glowing screens put me off, as after some 8h+ a day I'd rather not stare at one some 2h more.

Haven't tried yet, tho. Is a tablet actually good enough for long readings?
>>
>>55298789
>Is a tablet actually good enough for long readings?
I don't really know, I do all my long readings on an ereader or just printed books. I think you can install something similar to f.lux in your tablet to reduce the amount of blue light and drop the brightness so it's not that hard on your eyes.
>>
>>55298745
Calibre, man.

Also, I do not look at the lock screen when I want to read.

But thanks for the suggestion.
>>
A common practice is to take down notes inside of my book as I read, with pen etc. and highlighting portions of the text. Are there e-readers that support capacitive/touch, or is there computer software (I have a digitizer, writing is not difficult) I can use at home that supports this feature?

>>55296315
> Amazon Kindle and Glo in comic sans font
> H2O is not
????
>>
File: 12079680.png (3 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
12079680.png
3 KB, 210x230
>>55299224
>A common practice is to take down notes inside of my book as I read, with pen etc. and highlighting portions of the text.
I hate you.
>>
paperwhite vs kobo vs ??

What's the best?
>>
>>55299289
Why?
>>
>jailbreaking e-reader

God, you are bunch of miserable fucking faggots aren't you?
Basically I got myself a paperwhite, told amazon to turn off the adverts, download shit from libgen, convert it in calibre and just FUCKING read. If I have a pdf file I flip the screen: that's fucking it. I read avg. 150-200 pages a day and never felt the urge to waste fucking time jailbreaking a fucking e-reader -- this device is supposed to be a convenience not a fucking chore for spergs to show off "hurr m'lady le haxxed me glorious e-reader, betwixt us I must say it is quite the devil"

Go kill yourself
>>
Is there anything similar to Sony's Digital Paper, but that ships to France without $200 fees ?
>>
>>55299335
I don't like people who write over books
>>
>>55299536
It helps remembering the interesting parts better, think deeper about the subject and understand shit faster when you come back to the book ...
>>
>>55299536
It's so obvious you only read genre fiction.
>>
>>55299573
I understand, I just don't do it. I don't like my books to be written over it.

>>55299647
Nope. I've read tons of books for college and I still do.
>>
File: 1447764404803.png (22 KB, 721x365) Image search: [Google]
1447764404803.png
22 KB, 721x365
If buying a tablet for reading ebook pdfs what screen resolution should you be looking at? also what screen size? is 7" good enough or is it too small?
>>
File: evans.webm (621 KB, 380x332) Image search: [Google]
evans.webm
621 KB, 380x332
>>55299525
>Sony's Digital Paper

>150 ppi
>>
Are there 8 inch readers that don't suck shit yet?
>>
>>55298822

Ipads have that built in
>>
Who Kobo Glo HD here?
Thinking of getting one.
>>
Speaking of ereaders, should i get nook HD or kobo aura H2O?
I'll be using it for manga and LNs.
>>
>>55295025
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DPTS1-Digital-Paper-System/dp/B00O7H0GNI
Only the best ebook reader at this point.
>>
>>55300531
A guy I know has one. I'd rather have a small Kindle any day of the week.
>>
>>55300141
Got one last year. It's alight. Sometimes laggy. Chose it over Kindle Voyage because the LEDs can be shut off completely. Typesetting is pretty good.
>>
>>55300732
Inside rim around screen is glossy. Annoying when using external lighting.
>>
Which is good for mango?
my tablet is dying
using perfectViewer would be great.
>>
Are ebook readers good for manga?
>>
Anyone heard of the Icarus Illumina XL? It's 8" which is perfect for mango, and it has android. Looks like chinkshit to me, but it would be nice to be proven wrong.
>>
>>55301206
Low DPI.
>>
>>55301366
Fucking hell why can't anyone release a proper larger e reader
>>
>>55301389
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/06/25/new-kobo-aura-one-with-7-8-inch-screen-and-6-inch-kobo-leaked/

Literally ordered an Aura h20 this morning and just found this. I'm seriously considering returning it when it arrives and waiting.
>>
>>55301423
hopefully it's not bullshit
>>
>>55299289
lol! nice meme face! XD
>>55299224
Bump for this question; it's not uncommon for people to do. It seems perfectly viable in that on an e-book, digital writing won't "ruin" the copy of the book
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.