[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here on /g/ works a job that's tech related, and who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 275x183
Who here on /g/ works a job that's tech related, and who here works a job completely unrelated to tech but has good knowledge of tech related stuff. What's /g/'s thought of my profession, I'm a dentist btw.
>>
>>55290996

You'll be happier in the long run as a dentist + job stability.

I work as a field tech atm. Currently studying to get in to a networking role, as I'm sick of dealing with monkeys.

IT is pretty shit unless you can get in to a higher position. Then it's only half shit.
>>
File: 1448957500481.jpg (36 KB, 581x600) Image search: [Google]
1448957500481.jpg
36 KB, 581x600
>>55291025
>happier in the long run as a dentist
>highest suicide rate of any profession
Pick one.
>>
>>55291051
OP here, that may look nasty but that's what I have my operative staff and hygienist for. The "grossest" thing I do hands on is maybe cut out gum tissue that appears cancerous but that's about it. I literally use a mouth mirror, sgc 13/14, and then leave the room after 5 minutes.
>>
>>55291051

That's no longer true. :)
>>
>>55291140
Physicians are only more successful because they have access to more lethal drugs. The number of attempts is what matters as failed attempts leave you off far worse than dead.
>>
>>55290996
Sysadmin, 9 years in.
>>
File: Kimagure_Orange_Road.png (1 MB, 700x1023) Image search: [Google]
Kimagure_Orange_Road.png
1 MB, 700x1023
I'm a line cook. Been at it for about 8 years. Looking at a position as sous-chef at a friend's place soon.
>>
>>55291668
cute pic dude
>>
>>55290996
>What's /g/'s thought of my profession, I'm a dentist btw.
honestly terrified because i had two of my wisdom teeth pulled without any anesthetic, literally the most painful experience of my life
also should i brush my tongue or not

>>55291668
>line cook
p cool, i respect people that can cook
have you seen waiting
>>
>>55291818
I wouldn't use a brush but yes you should clean your tounge. It can be a source of gingivitis and other infections, also feels gross if you don't. I'd only clean it in the morning to rid bad breath, its definitely at the bottom of cleaning priorities.
>>
>>55291051
How is that even possible?

My local dentist has three other competitors and he owns a yacht boat, 5000 sqft house, hot wife and probably can get coke like it's nobody's business. How the fuck is it a depressing business?
>>
>>55291818
Yes, brush it.

>>55291891
Just advise both to ensure people are on the safe side. Any other advice and you should just kys desu
>>
File: chrome_2016-06-27_20-51-53.png (838 KB, 1470x757) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-06-27_20-51-53.png
838 KB, 1470x757
>>55291891
assuming one should use one of these?

one last question: is mouthwash worth using?
>>
What do I do if brushing my back teeth/tongue triggers my gag reflex and makes me almost puke (sometimes actually puke) every time?
>>
I work at a computer repair place. Some of the people who come in, man. I've got a couple laptops on my shelf right now from three weeks ago, I need passwords for them to finish the job, and the bitch never picks up her phone. I've left like 3 messages by now
>>
Op I don't trust dentists. Why are you guys trying to up sell me every fucking time.

The last straw for me was
>at dentist
>dentist tells assistant I need a filling in such and such tooth
>assistant replies that they've been watching it and it hasn't changed in years.
>dentist gets shitty with assistant and tells us the tooth needs a filling

every fucking time I'm in here they're trying to sell me Invisalign or some $3000 snoring mouth piece.

I used to do IT consulting and Dentists always had way better tech than other Dr's offices. They must be way more competitive and always selling people shit they don't need
>>
>>55291985
desu i've never had a dentist try to upsell me, always just got in, did what needed to be done, and got out
maybe you just have an israeli dentist
>>
>>55291985
I have a dentist in the family, and they give me those invisalign things free. The tools to make them are apparently expensive as hell, but once you have that, it costs next to nothing to make each mouth piece.
>>
>>55291025

What does a field tech do? A field tech in what exactly? Are you studying for something in the cisco world?
>>
>>55291948
Alot of the tounge scraper market is like the old snake oil sales man but yes. Anything is better than nothing. And for mouth wash I typically recommend against it soley because people use it has a tool to not properly brush there teeth and rather just be lazy. I'd recommend mouth wash with some fluoride to prevent eroding of the enamel even if you have perfect teeth. Alot of people into there 70's that once had amazing teeth start to loose there enamel but who cares anymore desu at that age anyways.
>>
>>55290996
I always wanted to be a dentist when I was growing up. I just can't because it is even more expensive that learning to be a doctor here.
>>
I'm in tech, electronics engineer

Don't even own a computer anymore
>>
In IT here. Currently doing .net dev at some security company for their CMS tools. Not exactly my dream job but it pays the bills.
>>
>>55290996
I worked at BoA as office manager. Ironically I got the job (or rather, I got an entry level bank teller job then slowly making way to the top) with a degree in comp eng

Apparntly all them people with degree in banking can't do shit with Maple and Mathematica.
>>
I have no job. Feels bad man. Looking into making stupid YouTube videos for a few extra NEET bucks. Video editing seems kind of fun. Dreading having to listen to my own voice back over and over though
>>
>>55290996
>I'm a dentist btw.
I'm a truck driver
>>
I'M WAN FUCKED UP DENNIS
>>
>>55292543
I've wanted to do this as a hobby but don't think I can put myself out there like that.
>>
>>55291985
>$3000 snoring mouth piece.
fucking Cpap machine, they have become almost fucking mandated for truck drivers. I have heard thaT FOR SOME DRIVERS WHO GET IT ON THEIR OWN IT DOES HELP THEM SLEEP BETTER, BUT THEIR OLD AS FUCK SO IDK WHAT TO THINK.
>>
File: truck.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
truck.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
>>55292559
Is truck driving a comfy job?
>>
>>55292644
depends on what you would wanna haul and where you live, just got into a new linehaul gig should be making pretty decent money
>>
>>55290996
Dentistry is a respectable field to work in, far far better than the autistic NEETs on here
>>
Hey /g/, I just got a job as a computer tech at a computer/phone service place. Now I've been working with computers (building, diagnosing, repairing, tinkering, etc) for 7 years now so I feel like I know the whole thing in a personal and friend-scope pretty damn solid. When I do private work I never outsource or tell someone to find someone more qualified. It's mostly just hardware problems and user issues with software, the normal stuff.

Are the people at my job going to expect me to know much more than this? I pretty much just got hired off of telling the guy exactly I said here; his response was if I knew how to solder (I've done it a few times but I wouldn't call myself well-versed on the subject).

Am I freaking out for no reason? Anyone else working (non-independently) at a computer service shop wanna share experiences or pointers?
>>
File: 1466554365045.jpg (32 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1466554365045.jpg
32 KB, 640x427
>>55292708
As an aside, I am a regular here, so I'm blogging as a regular, not as just some fuckin random.
>>
>>55292559
I keep wanting to quit my job and drive trucks. Every time I see truck drivers walking their little lap dogs at rest stops I get jealous. Listening to podcasts and audiobooks with a dog beside me seems great.
>>
OP here, luckily I live in NC and grew up here and have never lived out of state. I went to UNC for school.
>>
I work at a body shop for coolers and vending machines. I used to work in the cooler line switching out broken or worn parts which was kinda tech related.

I'm stuck in a rut though, /g/. I never went to school and this is probably the best job I'll get without any education.
What can I go to school for that's tech related and makes more than $50k starting....without racking that much debt..
>>
>>55292903
acquire CompTIA certificates
become system admin
>>
>>55292903
Go to CC for 2 years and then transfer to your flagship state school. Work part time through all of this. Then do something useful, like cs, ce, ee, me or bme instead of the "thank you for calling dell" is/it shit. If you don't suck, you should make at least 60k entrylevel. I started at 80k.
>>
>>55292593
Yeah me too but being able to edit things out and autistically fix things seems a lot easier to manage until I'm comfortable with it.
>>
>>55290996
System Administrator, moving into "Network Systems Engineer" (which in this case is basically the same thing).
>>
>>55291051
MD has a higher suicide rate. It likely has to do with the hours they work. Many doctors pill themselves to death working 14+ hour days.
>>
>>55290996
>What's /g/'s thought of my profession, I'm a dentist btw.
Meh. I wouldn't do it.
>>
>>55293253
Op here, my shifts are 7 hours a day 5 days a week, It's pretty comfy.
>>
>>55292708
>Are the people at my job going to expect me to know much more than this?
Not at a repair shop. You won't be working on servers unless you move to an IT department or an MSP.
>>
I'm a sysadmin at a medium sized business. I like it because even though I'm the only sysadmin, it's pretty much 9-5.

My last job I worked for an MSP that dealt with several dentists and I learned the Eaglesoft is pretty shit
>>
>>55290996
I am a syadmin, have 6 years experience and have a BS in information systems
>>
>>55291968
you are now aware how easy it is to change a windows password without needing anything from the user.
>>
Software developer maintaining an application that sends out reminders for dental appointments.
>>
File: 20160526_121119.jpg (3 MB, 2201x2729) Image search: [Google]
20160526_121119.jpg
3 MB, 2201x2729
Xray tech supervisor.

Deal with a fair amount of IT related stuff while pereforming the job I guess.

Picture semi related.
>>
i'm a regular clerk in a law firm. I hate it. Seriously thinking about going to CC to get some certs to become a syadmin or some other tech field.
>>
>>55292940
comptia is bottom tier babby certs to get a help desk position.

Sysadmins require experience and something like LPIC 2 MCSA or the like.
>>
>>55292708
I just applied for a job at a mom and pop computer repair shop. What am I in for?
>>
Student speech and language therapist here, only one term left. I'll be practicing from January...poor unsuspected public...
>>
>>55294608
Expect tons of shitty toolbar removals full repairs and selling shit tons of cracked oses and shitty bloatware installs on people's computers.

Also expect to do a ton of shit you don't know how to do probably. I hope you are getting paid gas.
>>
>>55290996

unemployedbayareafag here,

I used to work in retail. I worked with a bunch of college kids and one 40 year old navy vet.

3 of them actually stuck out as being somewhat competent; 1 was studying C++ (she was a front end supervisor; code for she ran the head register) and was applying at various tech companies (i had to cover some of her shifts on days she had an interview) for internships.

The other was studying javascript (puke) and wanted to work on "the next killer app".

The navy vet was attending the school I used to attend for a few semesters before "real life" happened as a photo major but was taking an interest in the web dev program of which i recommended he scrap plans for because webdev is rapidly being automated and more and more services are popping up that build your website for you with cookie cutter minimalist hipster designs that look good on mobile (keep in mind, this was 2 years ago, around the time these automated webdev sites started getting even more mainstream). He said that's fine with him because he's looking to hit that food hipster crowd with various food apps that tie into services he can offer to different hipster food restaurants and bars around the city. Last I heard before he left is that he got a few good contracts with these hipster joints and wanted to quit to dev full time, making custom menus and apps and QR codes for these menus so people can set up their order before hand, host/hostess scans the QR code with their order, it tracks stuff like reviews, calories, nutritional value and the like, all the stuff that hipster foodies seem to like.

None had a Github repo, much less knew wtf it was when I told them to look into it.

You would think that the people teaching them would have said something about it, but that would just bring up more competition for them. So of course they would not have been told of it.
>>
Is it really necessary to brush your teeth twice a day or is it just something pepsodent came up with to sell more toothpaste? How much toothpaste should you put on the brush? As much as in the ads (like a big worm through the length of the brush) or less?

Should one brush before, after or during breakfast?
>>
>>55295928
>before, or during breakfast

Do you WANT your Orange Juice to taste like shit!?
>>
>>55290996
I'm a professional technology speculator.
>>
doing my time in cyber for army. then I'll go private sector.
>>
>>55294121
And then the customer bitches me out for changing her password
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.