[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech "Expert" stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: goon from net.jpg (61 KB, 595x600) Image search: [Google]
goon from net.jpg
61 KB, 595x600
>At a microcenter (it was the one near DC) with my dad who also works in IT.
>Looking for a new video card and cpu cooler to replace my old water cooled gtx 480 on a system that I built back in '11
>browsing around and just getting a feel for what's new and trendy
>Being helped by a store associate on choosing a card when this older fat neckbeard guy with a Raytheon shirt chimes in and suggests I go with a slightly better card based on spec and price.
>Seems pretty chill and relatable like a irl /g/ Don't know really much about nvidia cards as I haven't kept up on the spec these days and this guy knows his shit about hardware T
>My dad (who was buying the card) comes over and also starts talking to this guy about video cards
>somehow the topic changed to laptops as my dad was also looking for a new laptop
>Out of the blue this guy suggests in his words "Oh for you I would suggest getting a surface"
>awkward moment of silence, my dad responded I work in IT
>Fat neckbeard guy Oh i'm sorry yeah I do sys admin work, I always vouch for windows since i'm MS certified.
>The look on him was just priceless.

Now my dad isn't a hardware person as much anymore and has been out of the sys admin gig for almost a decade now (last time was with Merrill Lynch before they folded), Currently does infosec auditing and SOX/PCI DSS compliance for the D.C government, so he knows his shit when it comes to basic knowledge. He was fucking pissed and I agree that It was pretty shitty to assume he was some kinda tech imbecile.

Does it not enrage you when "tech" people assume you are some kinda illiterate when they don't know jack fuck about you? Especially when they are low on the totem pole doing sys admin work or hardware related shit. I mean real fedora spinning shit and the worst part about it is it's ironically usually older people that assume old people don't know anything about technology and pull this age discrimination bullshit.
also fuck windows fags and fuck Raytheon
>>
Microcenter bro seemed based, surface devices are quite good for the price and the capabilities they offer, maybe you should stop being a contrarian piece of shit who likes to guzzle /g/'s latest anti something hipster fad
>>
>>55276763
>guy helps me
>uses different OS
>my fee fees get hurt
>>
File: IMG_20160509_122740112.jpg (3 MB, 3006x5344) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160509_122740112.jpg
3 MB, 3006x5344
>>55276921
>>55276889
I worked at micro for four years in college and had a surface 1/2/3... I'd consider myself advanced. Your fee fees actually make you just as dumb as the neck beard here, hombre.
>>
>>55276889
lol u so funny /g/
op should install Gentoo amirite?
>>
>>55276763
I'm gonna go ahead and take the bait.

No, I really don't care if people think I'm dumb with computers, as long as they aren't being a dick about it. Most people are so that's the assumption I make about other people as well if I don't know anything about them yet. It's not even that bad of an assumption so I don't know why you get so offended you need to make a thread about it on a Texan wifesharing BBS.

If they're really insistent about recommending me things because they assume I'm dumb, I politely tell them about my "qualifications" (CompE degree, IT and software dev experience, 300 confirmed kills in the gentoo seals, etc.) to get them to fuck off, but even then I might not and just let it go if it's just a brief conversation with a stranger I'll never see again, because who gives a shit honestly.
>>
>>55276763
>Does it not enrage you when "tech" people assume you are some kinda illiterate when they don't know jack fuck about you?
Not really, if you've ever actually discussed your hobby with other people you would realize that it's generally a better deal to start off with that assumption and have it quickly broken than vomit a bunch of jargon at someone who has no idea what you're talking about for minutes on end only to realize you were talking at a wall.

And jesus christ, get the fuck over yourself you whiny retard, not being a Windows user doesn't automatically qualify you as some kind of tech expert, there are a lot of people who know far more than you about how a computer works that use whatever the fuck they damn well please. Besides, GNU/Linux isn't a difficult platform to understand, that shit's practically held your hand since 2002.
>>
>>55276889
You mistaken if you think I was mad because of a OS preference.
It's the autistic "I know whats better for you" HURR I know computers mentality that's rustles my jimmies for your information.
You wouldn't tell someone you don't know they should use training wheels on a bike in a snide manner. Same shit for IT advice.
>>
Oh It wasn't clear but that person didn't work for microcenter.
>>
>>55277160
This. It's called the "technology handshake" for a reason. Like the socially inept retards we are, many still fail to remember to take these simple steps to make a conversation easy and informative. Surface dude started low as one should, even in a Micro Center. Poor guy is still probably mentally leashed to his tier 1 training.
>>
File: cells-reaction-face.jpg (28 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
cells-reaction-face.jpg
28 KB, 350x350
>>55276763
Not really tech expert story but the guy was a fucking retard none the less and I've practically cut all ties with him since then.

>Spring semester
>Get elected vice chairman for my college's ACM chapter
>guy who I use to be friends with got elected chairman
>guy turns total douche mode after assuming the chairman position
>meh w/e crack it down to the semester and the fact he works in a completely different city
>ACM hosts a LAN party at the end of every semester at my college
>fuck yeah time to show off my new rig I built
>aforementioned retard looks at it and sees I have a 960 SSC
>Why is your card so big? I have the same one and it is smaller than that
>try to explain to him it is an evga card with the dual bios and all that jazz
>doesn't want to listen to me just walks off pissed because people are intrigued by my machine
>he runs off to go get something from the store for the even and the dumb ass leaves his machine unlocked
>load up speccy and see this fucking idiot was telling everyone he had a 960 when he actually had a 750 Ti
>Asked him why he was lying like that and he has totally ignored me since then
>mfw
>>
>>55276763
>with my dad
>>
What the fuck?

Since when did someone recommending a device they use & like require a 375 word blog post?
>>
>>55276763
>Does it not enrage you

No, because I'm not an autist and I know that people can't read my mind. Stop getting your jimmies rustled over small insignificant shit.
>>
>surface pro 4
>bad
?????
>>
>>55277567
>Touch enabled mobile botnet command post Pro
>good
>>
Be honest. You just wish Microsoft would sell the SP4 without Spyware 10.
>>
>>55277180
Most people know how to ride bicycles, but most people don't know how to computer.
>>
>>55276763
I think your dad was just upset because he raised an autistic faggot.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.