[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is programming just memorization? how long did it take you to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: bb56655.jpg (6 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
bb56655.jpg
6 KB, 166x200
Is programming just memorization? how long did it take you to become a competent programmer? I've been programming for a few days now and all I've managed to do is memorize a few lines of code, i don't feel like I've learned anything.
>>
>>55276312
did you write the same program over and over again?
>>
>>55276326
don't we all? all we do is bind UI elements to database entities
>>
>>55276326
for most of the lines of code, yes. i can write a program that that downloads a pic if you input a url and other more useless programs, but i do it purely by memorization, when i write codes i have no idea what they mean or why they're in a particular order.
>>
>>55276312
that's the opposite of programming

here's a quote from my friend:

"i just mashed buttons until everything worked"
you won't learn unless you explore and do your own things
>>
That's why you have to learn from the God tier books.
>>
>>55276433
can you name some good books?
>>
i hope you're just baiting op. because if you aren't, that's sad
>>
>>55276516
we weren't all born geniuses.
>>
>>55276312
You have to understand that a programming language is just a tool.

If you can't even remember the basic syntax of a language, then give up and do something else, because all languages share similar concepts and syntax.
>>
>>55276312
Mate that's how you start.
You find things that work and ya don't understand. You look into why it works. You're writing something on your own and ya go "hmm this is similar to what this other program did so I'll use this ". It's like fitting puzzle pieces of your coding knowledge together. Eventually you'll know what sort of price you need but not exactly what the syntax is for the language you want and then that's when stackoverflow is your friend
>>
>>55276485
>Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>The Art of Computer Programming
>Introduction to Algorithms
>Compilers: Principles Techniques and Tools
>The C Programming Language
This should keep you busy for the next few years
>>
>>55276312
Rule of thumb. If you don't understand how your code works, then just remember it. But keep picking up snippets.
Because through trial and error, it will become obvious.
Programming isn't as l33t as you think, professors and doctors are now literate programmers for their applications and research.

So if you cant keep up with the standard OP, you are either not trying your hardest, or you have downsyndrome.

(They are now teaching it in primary schools)
>>
>>55276312
just like what the other anon said about learning from god tier books.

also PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
you lazy whiteboi
>>
>>55276312
learning to code is like being sent in the middle of the woods with nothing. You slowly learn to pick up the pieces and sooner or later you'll be dominating everything.

Just google everything you don't understand and dig as deep as possible and you'll get there m8

- someone who learned to code after being retarded for a long ass time
>>
>>55276312
Few days?
Sure. Memorize the basics.
Few years?
You should probably understand the meaning of your code.
>>
>>55276312
>programming
>memorization

Complete opposites my friendo
>>
>>55276312
Yes and no. In a broad sense yeah, a lot of what you do is just memorizing well established patterns and applying them where necessary. But you also have to be smart enough to pick the most appropriate pattern and modify it properly to solve a specific problem.
>>
File: 4L_xS80YNyE.jpg (322 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4L_xS80YNyE.jpg
322 KB, 1920x1080
>>55276312
>he's already been programming for more than a few days
>he hasn't memorized every possible code line combination
>he doesn't dream in code
Perhaps you should try another field OP. i memorized all the code in one day and started teaching a "how to code for black womens" boot camp that weekend.
>>
>>55276569

don't go after math based majors if you aren't good at math, derp
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.