[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time having to replace my power supply because I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 20160626_174620.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160626_174620.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
First time having to replace my power supply because I think my old one fucked up, I'm temporarily testing an older 550W to make sure it's my PSU before buying a new one.

Is it ok to leave one of the slots for my graphics card open like this or do I absolutely NEED both? My old PSU had 2 vga plugs for it but this PSU has only one. Also why are my sata cables so fucked? (Next pic) thnx guise
>>
>>55276114
>>>/g/sqt
Depending on the card it wont work, in some it will.
>>
File: 20160626_174802.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160626_174802.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
Sata cable has 3 ports, why?
>>
File: 20160626_175013.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160626_175013.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
>>55276132
Noted, sorry. I have to go to work soon and I didn't bother looking for a thread for it.

I just found a spare, can I plug this into the psu and to the graphics card and it'll work the same way? The Red port on the psu says it's for PCI, so I assume it works the same way
>>
>>55276137
Because you can more than one HDD/SSD/etc with one cable.
You can use one and leave the other 2.

Its not fucked, it is supposed to look like that.
>>
>>55276159
Yes.

>>55276163
>you can more than one
You can connect more than one*
>>
>>55276163
Ah, ok. So I'm assuming it's ok to just leave the other two hanging then, as I only have 1 hard drive and a ssd, which are too far apart to use one cable with. So I should be good to go now.

Gonna test it out, thanks for the advice man
>>
File: 20160626_175954.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160626_175954.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
No dice. I could hear it try to start up and fail. Anything look wrong here? Sorry it's sideways
>>
>>55276263
Did you remember to connect the CPU power cable?

What was your problem before?
>>
>>55276285
I was getting daily freezing, where it'd freeze and I could only hear a loud beeping noise. I asked around some forums, did some googling, asked some irl friends and it all pointed to the PSU or the RAM, so I figured I'd start here. Does the CPU plug go to the mobo above the cpu?

So far I have: 8 pin on mobo, 24 pin to mobo, 8 pin PCI to graphics card, sata to SSD and sata to HDD.
>>
>>55276337
>Does the CPU plug go to the mobo above the cpu?
Yes.

You should try to go to the SQT thread, people will help you there.

Freezing could be a lot of things, will help you there since someone other than me might know right away.
>>
That pic makes me think you are having your first time for a lot of things right now.
>>
>>55276114
>Is it ok to leave one of the slots for my graphics card open like this
No, you need two. Using one could cause cables to overheat and melt because of high current GPU demand.
>>
>>55276354
Alright I'll head over there

>>55276361
Lol it is my first time building a computer, and my first time actually needing to work on it yeah
>>
>>55276337
Try booting from a different HDD, if it's noisy or clicking it could be dying and causing your PC not to boot at all (and explain the freezing/crashes)
>>
>>55276473
I'm booting from my SSD and it hasn't had any problems as of yet, still boots up extremely quick and no file loss. My HDD has been a bit slow and maybe a little noisy but my OS isn't on it, so is there any chance it's still the problem?
>>
>>55276159
>I just found a spare, can I plug this into the psu and to the graphics card and it'll work the same way? The Red port on the psu says it's for PCI, so I assume it works the same way
It depends. If that cable is from a different PSU, then most likely it'll be wired differently on the PSU end and thus a very dangerous thing to play with.
If it's from the PSU you're using now, then yes, it'll work just fine.
>>
>>55276981
Pretty sure it is, it's threaded and colored red like this PSU is, and I've only ever owned 2 PSUs in my life

Thanks for the info though, I couldn't get it to work and I'm trying the old one again
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.