[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently a CS major How do I make sure to not become a code monkey?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Currently a CS major

How do I make sure to not become a code monkey?
>>
Get the fuck away fro 4chan is what you need to do, this place fucks up your mind and future.
>>
>>55269834
Stay unemployed.
>>
>>55269834
Change your major.
>>
Start your own company
>>
>>55269834
You learn how to program micro controlers and FPGA's and make custom solutions.
>>
>>55269834
Switch to EE, Physics or Math major.
>>
Stay in academics.
>>
I don't understand. Aside from teaching, what else were you supposed to do with that degree?
>>
>>55269834
You are asking in bad place. Its full of cs meme guys, neets and vim fizzbuzzers
>>
>>55269911

the number of CS dorks who can wrap their brains around EE is surprisingly low. honestly.
>>
>>55269900
This

FPGA's are neat as fuck
>>
>>55270818
"code monkey" is a term used to describe a person that writes code that works, but they aren't exactly sure why or how.
The term originated from the old saying that went something like "if enough moneys bang on a typewriter long enough, they will produce Shakespeare."

@OP
To not be a code money, you need to a few things:
1. Solid understanding of algorithms, data structures, and their proper use.
2. Knowledge of compilers (particularly the one you use) and what they produce, so you know how to optimize your code appropriately.
3. Knowledge of CS theory, not necessarily languages. A code monkey will spend all of his time learning a language and not theory; so when that language disappears, he becomes unmarketable.
>>
bump

Gonna be in the same boat this year, I thought CS would teach students to be good coders.
>>
>>55271712

Some programs do. Most of them are all theory and math. Gotta learn the coding on your own.
>>
>>55269834
Literally go and practice a shit load of times until you have mastered how coding works in general.

Also, find a way to make "shortcuts" in coding, meaning you can easily copy n paste from some other program or code you have done in the past... to make life easier.
>>
>>55269865
Best advice itt
>>
Start your own company, start off by writing skid tools and sell them on forums, build up and make games. Read books from /g/ wiki. Else you'll end up like Pajeet and write "solutions" that just fetch shit from DB for idiot CEOs
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.