[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, I'm bored of my day-job and in the mood to write a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: cpp-logo-dribbble_1x.png (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
cpp-logo-dribbble_1x.png
18 KB, 400x300
Hey, I'm bored of my day-job and in the mood to write a website in C++, but at the moment I've got no idea what to write. Anyone care to bounce some ideas off of me?

Tools / libraries / etc. I plan on using for the project: C++14 (17?) via GCC, debian 64-bit, fastcgi, nginx, postgresql, libpqxx. Scrypt and Let's Encrypt if I start to take the project seriously and need some password hashing / SSL, respectively. I'll use Boost if I come to need it, but I'll avoid it if I can.

Also, if you just want to shit on C++, I guess you can do that here. I enjoy the language, but that's just me and my cup of tea.
>>
File: c-sharp.png (5 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
c-sharp.png
5 KB, 375x375
>>55263829
>not using C++++
>>
>>55263829
How about you write an app to go fuck yourself
>>
>>55263872
Meh, it's a nice language, but if I'm going to go that route, I'll just go Java and save myself the headache. Where I work, my frontend team uses Java, and the backend team uses C++. I spend most of my time writing C++, but will run around and help the frontend team with Java when they need it.

C# is nice, but I'd rather not go MSFT.

>>55263884

I'm not that into VR, actually. :(
>>
>>55263900
Beuler?
>>
>>55264124
Shit this board is /consumerelectronics/
>>
>>55263900
I don't understand how you'll "write a website" in c++

A client connects to your webserver via http, and then you give them... what? A c++ written binary for the client's browser to interpret?

I'm legit confused.
>>
>>55264279
Oh don't be so daft, I'm just going to write the entire backend in C++. Barring using emscripten (not a fan...) I won't be serving C++ to the end user...
>>
>>55264279
You think that isn't possible? Have you heard of NaCl?
>>
>>55264351
Ah, forgot about NaCl. Never played with that.
>>
I remember when I made my first website in Fortran
>>
>>55264279
>make a website for calculating math problems
>the user enters something into a text box and sends it to the HTTP server
>the server passes the query to a binary written in C++ which calculates the output
>the server returns the data the binary spat out through a webpage or AJAX

Don't be dumb.
>>
>>55264351
salty
>>
>>55263872
>C#
>C++++

C# is a semitone up from C (C# or Db). C++ would mean a whole tone up (D). C# literally means C++ minus half of it.
>>
File: c plus plus plus plus.png (6 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
c plus plus plus plus.png
6 KB, 500x500
>>55264438
>>
File: e0aQv.jpg (624 KB, 3536x2326) Image search: [Google]
e0aQv.jpg
624 KB, 3536x2326
>>55264279
I just spent the last few hours figuring out how to run a program on my website when you access it. The client is agnostic about how the server gets the data it sends. The server often serves a html document like you say, but you also access pictures this way, and also you can access programs this way.

What does it mean to access a program from a browser? Simple, the brower sends an http request to the server which locates the program, passes query data and environmentally data to the program, and then the program writes something to standard out, say an html, which is then automatically served to the client. All the client sees is the accessing a normal website. Really the server is a black box to the client.

Look up Common Gateway Interface (CGI) if you think I'm full of shit.

I don't know why PHP, Perl, Ruby, etc are so fucking popular to programmatically script a website with. The languages are horrible. Same goes with Javascript, but at least I understand that's in the browser only (I hope). I much prefer to work with compiled languages.

Btw, is database software that important. I could understand the need if you are working on concurrent databanks on hundreds of hard drives external to a computer, but on a small scale things like Sql seem dumb and incredibly dull. At least it seems more useful than the scripting languages I mentioned.
>>
Btw fuck anything microsoft, including C#. I'll stick with C when I can and C++ when I can't.

Why has every revision of C made it gay? All that really needs to be fixed with C is some operator precedence, and some other minor stuff.
>>
>>55264536
that makes a lot of sense man, thanks for taking my question seriously :)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.