[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self Checkout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (152 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
152 KB, 1920x1080
>At Ralphs
>Go to self checkout because few items
>Enter my member #
>Scanning all my stuff like a boss
>Attendant has been notified to assist you
>It disappears, I finish scanning
>Tap pay
>Attendant has been notified to assist you
>I wait for two minutes for it to disappear
>End up having to use the 10 items or less line anyway

Why even have these if people who arent old fucks and know how to use them don't even save time by using them.
>>
>>55262761
The point of those machines is to save the store money, not your time.
>>
>>55262845
Well it didn't even save them money because I ended up having to use a pair courtesy clerk.
>>
>>55262855
>pair
paid*
>>
>>55262845
Its also telemetry. It keeps track of which carss are used to buy which items.
By voluntarily walking up to it, you agree to the TOS which allows you it to make you an entry into the database.

User "Mike Shitweasel" purchases Honey and Cucumbers every Saturday evening.

This data is used to collect amore accurate painting of not just what the store should order, but also when they should order it, and for whom.

You will notice they all also have those shiny lenses like ATMs have. They watxh you, taking a picture during each transaction. This allows the algorithms to check how accurate their predictions were, in addition to checking the validity of the purchase- stolen cards, counterfeit bills, etc
>>
>>55262922
Whats wrong with this? Ita just a security measure
>>
File: 1466827417045.jpg (37 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1466827417045.jpg
37 KB, 640x427
>>55263088
It's BOTNET
>>
>>55263158
I dont get this snake meme
>>
>>55263210
Variations on the Gadsden Flag, which is one of the most popular symbols of libertarianism.

To destroy the joke for the sake of explanation, it's mocking the excessive cries of libertarians who will go out of their way to defend their perceived personal rights (particularly when they aren't actually being infringed), which meshes nicely in this context with people on here calling things they don't like botnet.

And now that the joke is thoroughly beaten into a fine mist, you can continue with your day.
>>
>>55262922
What if I paid in cash?
>>
>>55262922
their computers already make estimates of sale rates.
>>
File: cry.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cry.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>55262922
>supermarket collecting my eating habits
>tfw the botnet wants me to starve
>>
>>55263288
>which is one of the most popular symbols of libertarianism.
You mean liberalism, as the founding fathers believed in.
>>
>>55262922
Uh, what?
Stores collect this information even if you don't use self-checkout.
>>
>>55263288
Yeah, that's retarded.
Why would you make fun of someone who's trying to protect your rights?
>>
>>55262761
Automated check-outs are common in Europe and are rarely troublesome. They are much quicker than dealing with a check-out attendant mainly because there are more of them.

This is just like chip-and-pin all over again — Amerifats fuck up implementing some technology and then blame the technology.
>>
>>55263747
fun is democratic
>>
>>55262922
>wahh a company uses trivial information I willingly give to them to make sure the items I purchase are kept in stock
???
>>
>>55262922
You fucking dumbass, why would this be unique to self checkout?
>>
>>55262922
I have not had to agree to any TOS to use a self-checkout and I must have used them in least 4 different chains.
>>
>don't be me, 21, HANGRY
>circa 2001
>u-scan at Kroger is giving me shit
>finally get the damn thing to work after 20 tries
>old man starts telling me I can't leave with the basket
>I flip out and throw the basket on the ground
>give old man big double middle fingers

What a fucking jackass I was. I haven't used a self-checkout more than twice since then.
>>
>>55262922
>The camera on ATM shit is for facial recognition
>The evil supermarket wants to know if I'm buying the same foods or not

They don't even give a flaming fuck about the individual. What possible benefit would that give them that isn't some tin foil excuse? Super market advertising is not that cutthroat or advanced for them to waste the time on that when the big shit (like how much actual inventory was bought from the store, not who bought it) is what they are actually tracking to see whay they need to buy when.
>>
>>55268100
>>I flip out and throw the basket on the ground
>>give old man big double middle fingers
>21
i think you meant to write "11"
>>
Please explain to someone from an Eastern European shithole, why people don't just steal half of the stuff they buy? It's much easier to do with self-checkout.
I can't imagine this thing in one of our stores. It's cheaper to pay salary for a cashier and a guard.
>>
>>55270016
They do
>>
File: trudeau.png (1 MB, 930x1400) Image search: [Google]
trudeau.png
1 MB, 930x1400
>>55262761
>at Walmart
>self checkout
>no issues ever
>>
>>55270016
wage fag here, it happens all the time. when running self checkout, the bagging stand will beep if the weight is off, to keep people from just shoving shit in the bags without scanning them. but when it beeps, we just hit the button to override it. we never actually check wether or not somebody actually put shit in the bag.
>>
>They still use self checkout lanes
Here in (not 3'rd world country) we have a system where you grab a scanner by the enterance and scan items as you pick them up. Then at the end you plug the scanner in next to a pay thingy that only takes cards.
>>
>>55262761
Apparent you don't know how to use them if you trip the weight sensor all the time.

Also this:
>>55262845
>>
>>55262922
Fucking retard. Every supermarke uses Point Of Sale data to get leverage on manufacturers...Not restricted to Self scan. Also, it's not called telemetry. It's a Retail Management System.
>>
>>55263615
When was the last time this loli had anything to eat.
>>
File: bogan pepe.jpg (27 KB, 414x508) Image search: [Google]
bogan pepe.jpg
27 KB, 414x508
is it true that if you scan 1 item at a checkout, you can throw more of said item in a bag without scanning? The other day I accidentally scanned a can of tuna twice by mistake when trying to buy another, different flavoured can. I talked to the checkout chick she said it didn't matter since both were the same price and essentially treated as the same item.

I've heard this before but I'm too much of a pussy to try. I could've saved thousands on tendies and ramen over the years since I tend to buy shit in bulk when it goes on sale.
>>
>>55270456
not legally, no
>>
>>55270456
Depends on the tolerance of the scale, or if it's even on.
>>
>>55270503
I cheat the checkout with fresh produce already so I don't give a fuck unless there's a good chance I'll get done for shoplifting.
>>
>>55262761
If I'm going to do their work for them, then I want a discount.
>>
>>55270456
in the store i work at it isnt possible because the scale is extremely sensitive to that kind of shit and it would notice the scale is off. however, since we dont notice or care when shit like that happens, its worth a shot
>>
File: sdgdgdh.png (92 KB, 362x310) Image search: [Google]
sdgdgdh.png
92 KB, 362x310
>drunk as fuck at 2am
>run out of beer
>fumble into grocery stores
>grab beer
>goto self checkout
>attendant has been notified to check your ID
>no attendant
>wait a minute with my dick in my hand
>fuck this
>walk out with beer
>>
>>55262855

One clerk usually runs 4 self-checkout machines. When customers need help, they help them. It's a slow process and human interaction is still required, but it's one human being overworked to run multiple checkouts.
>>
>>55272242
>Being overworked
lmao
>>
>walk up to self-checkout
>have a moderate number of items
>use it
>pay
>go home

not that hard desu
>>
>>55270456
Most of the ones I've used have a scale and get anal as fuck if you take anything off or put anything on you didn't just scan. Your best bet is to keep it on the side of the scanner and then just drop it into the bag after you pay, or just leave it in your cart and throw it in a bag when you move shit back to your cart.
>>
>>55272242
>Canceling transactions
>Authorizing alcohol
>Overworked

Kek
>>
>>55262761
It lets 1 cashier replace 4
>>
>>55270456
She wasn't very good at her job. Scanning the wrong item throws off balance on hand and causes inventory shrink.

As for what you propose it's called shoplifting.
>>
>>55263158
Saved
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.