[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Windows in GNU/Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: inception_thumb[3].png (163 KB, 433x278) Image search: [Google]
inception_thumb[3].png
163 KB, 433x278
Been excited to totally switch to Linux this week, finished backing up and installing. Then spent 3 fucking hours in virtual box failing to load a fucking windows 7 machine. Nothing worked, not even after all the BIOS stuff was enabled. Using a thinkpad btw, so it's very supported. What shit, even OS X has usable virtual machine software, installing Windows 7 as a main now and I wanna fucking kms.
>>
File: 1430784316934.png (30 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
1430784316934.png
30 KB, 200x193
>>55248980
>>
>>55248980
Using Qemu with Spice for 1:1 performance if you ignore 3D. It's great.
>>
>>55248980
Qemu/kvm or bust
>>
>>55248980
I have had trouble getting Windows 7 to run in a VirtualBox VM under Linux, too. If you can, try VMware instead of VirtualBox. If not, you might want to try Windows 8. For whatever reason, Win8 worked just fine with VirtualBox for me, but Win7 absolutely did not.
>>
>>55248980
Does you CPU and BIOS actually support any virtual extension, besides just mentioning it.
If you have bad performance then probably not or it's not enabled correctly.
>>
I tried it myself with qemu and GPU passthrough enabled

Sure enough it worked with 3D stuff, only with constant drops and my hard drive pretty much dying in the process.
>>
>>55248980
>wants to totally switch to Linux
>is setting up a windows 7 install
Nice.
>>
>>55250967
There seems to be quite a few people who want Linux -just- so they can use a desktop environment not available on Windows. They want the rest of the goodies from Windows, they just simply don't like that the only options are to stay on an outdated system or a newer one that's locked down to hell.

Because of games and some tools. And font rendering and shit like that.
>>
>>55251037
He should stick to what works, for him that sounds like windows 7 since he's trying desperate enough to ask for help here.

For those people there is no benefit from switching to Linux.
>>
>>55251074
I agree. It can be interesting to learn a bit about virtualization but if he actually needs it it's pointless.
>>
>>55248980
>virtual box
Found the problem. That piece of shit software never fails to disappoint me
>>
If I where to use qemu would I be able to get low latency out of something like FL Studio or nah?
>>
>>55248980
thanks for the thumfail, shitlord. i bet the partriarchy is behind this.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.