[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite BSD? Why do you like it over other OS's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: fbkid2.jpg (83 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
fbkid2.jpg
83 KB, 768x768
What is your favorite BSD? Why do you like it over other OS's? FreeBSD vs OpenBSD?
>>
>>55248352
>OP trying to post his selfie
kek
>>
File: 1466622070312.jpg (45 KB, 523x476) Image search: [Google]
1466622070312.jpg
45 KB, 523x476
*puff puff*

I liek openbsd bc its secure and has better devs and the installation script is v nice and its got excellent documentation and p much all the tools are bare-bones and not for plebs

*puff puff*
>>
>>55248647
Why exactly is security better ?
>>
>>55248667
Jails.
>>
>>55248667
By having no softwares to work. Greatly reduces the malware attack surface
>>
>>55248667
EXTREMELY clean code, frequent and meticulous audits, and proper chrooting and privelidge system. Everything is built properly, and as the phrase goes, its secure by default.
>>
>>55248734
>EXTREMELY clean code
Ahahah
>>
>>55248810
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sbin/reboot/reboot.c?annotate=1.34&f=h

Noice, hardcoded sleep
>>
OpenBSD. Tried it on a whim since Windows and Linux's support for my laptop was abysmal and it turned out to support everything great, I've come to really like it since then.
>>
>>55249027
Are you still using it and on what laptop?
>>
>>55248352
>11 posts
>4 IPs
holy shit that shitposter is desperate
>>
OpenBSD. Most professional attitude. Documentation taken as seriously as code bugs. Releases every 6 months on the nose, and have kept this up for the last 20 years.

FreeBSD/PC-BSD is a serious contender for server OS, but isn't as nice on the desktop or laptop. They have a major hardon for ZFS which is awfully heavyweight. Not as serious about documentation as OpenBSD. Lots of packages and ports, but a lot of them haven't been tested on recent builds and won't actually compile - again, lack of professionalism. OpenBSD builds every single package, every nightly build.

NetBSD is an OS playground. Very small, hackable kernel, lots of wierd fun ideas that may or may not turn out to be useful (Lua in the kernel). But not something I'm really interested in using as my daily driver.

DragonflyBSD would be more interesting if I were more impressed by their signature filesystem. But it doesn't really do that well against other modern filesystems, so I can't really see the attraction.

BitrigBSD is just too new. It's a recent fork of OpenBSD that switched to Clang (yay!) and is supposedly more focused on virtualization. But they've only gotten their first release out and it's been over a year since then; I'll get a better sense of their ethos when v2 ships.
>>
>>55251786
Sorry, forgot to indicate which BSD I use, though it was implied. It's OpenBSD, currently on a Thinkpad X220 and T420 (on the T420 right now). I use Linux as well, currently have a Dell running Ubuntu 16.04. But Linux just feels very strange even after all these years (been using it as well since mid 90's), it's like a completely other OS that once saw a Unix machine in a movie and went off to try to copy it; it's similar but just feels *off*, all over the place.
>>
>>55249654
Yeah, on a Latitude XT2
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.