[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Need to replace a laptop fan >Need to fully disassemble
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ZIF_connector_and_FFC.jpg (142 KB, 1614x1064) Image search: [Google]
ZIF_connector_and_FFC.jpg
142 KB, 1614x1064
>Need to replace a laptop fan
>Need to fully disassemble the damn thing to get to it
>Considering just paying a local shop $100 to do it for me to avoid dealing with zif connectors and risk breaking shit

Should I be ashamed?
>>
>>55220289
If you don't want to risk it and can spare the money, go for it..

If they brick it they'll have to replace it!
>>
>>55220289
Yes I can field strip an hp laptop of almost any kind or Toshiba in about ten minutes.

It's really not that hard just find a comprehensive manual or hardware diagram and presto. If it's your first time go slow, do not yank or pull on anything and in general be careful and it will go fine.
>>
take out your hard drive before you bring it to the store
>>
>>55220289
>zif connector are scary, uaaaaaaaah
Retard.
>>
Just look up dissassembly on youtube
>>
>>55220289
No they're the ones who should be ashamed, charging 100 bucks for such simple shit
>>
>>55220289
It's a pain in the ass, so I get where you're coming from, but I would still do it myself. I've never damaged any zif connector in a laptop, they
I did fuck up a NDS (it has like a 2mm wide ribbon connector that folds over a pcb and is damaged by looking at it wrong). I have never seen zif connectors that flimsy in laptops and $100 is quite a bit of money. Oh and the faggots that repaired my laptop once damaged the heatsink somehow. They don't care about handling your shit well. Local PC repair shops only exist to exploit people like your mother.

If this were about bicycles though... Seriously, why risk greasy hands, not having random parts that turn out to be broken and wasting a lot of time when you can pay 25 euros including for someone else to fix your shit in less than an hour?
>>
One thing good about my shitty Asus is ease of access.
All I need to do to get the entire heatpipe and fan assembly out is take out 6 screws that hold in the bottom cover.
>>
>>55220289
Yes.
You could get a nice thinkpad for £100
>>
>>55220289
Fans are considered a consumable part. Expected to fail and generally very easy to access (n HP's and Dell's anyway). I doubt you'd need to dig deep enough to have to undo ZIF headers on the way. As others have said, look up a teardown video and follow it, it's a snap.

>>55220405
Get fucked tripcunt. No one likes a fucking ego.
>>
>>55220447
>Fans are considered a consumable part. Expected to fail and generally very easy to access (n HP's and Dell's anyway). I doubt you'd need to dig deep enough to have to undo ZIF headers on the way. As others have said, look up a teardown video and follow it, it's a snap

It's a pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT0ovCntxbs
>>
>>55220405
Asus is the hardest one compare to dell HP and kekbook, gazillion screw need to tear it apart. I spend like almost an hour + to repaste damn thing.
>>
>>55220620
Maybe the high end ones on both sides?
A friend has a dv7. You have to take the screen off on that one to get to the heatsinks.

To repaste my K52 I have 6 screws on the bottom panel and 8 screws on the heatpipe assembly (4 for the CPU, 2 on the GPU and 2 on the fan).
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.