[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does redshift really help your eyes? I just compiled it and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: redshift.png (44 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
redshift.png
44 KB, 256x256
Does redshift really help your eyes?

I just compiled it and got geoclue working to get my Latitude and longitude
>>
Is been two hour op does it help eyes or no?
>>
brightness adjusting software is a meme

just get gunnars
>>
>>55216100
>Does redshift really help your eyes?
yes it does
>>
>>55217524
>gunnars
>not a meme
>>
>>55216100
I won't use a device without it.
>>
>>55217792
>tfw im actually wearing gunnars and posted this
still better than nothing i suppose
>>
Seems less fatiguing overall. And it's easy to turn off and on
>>
Redshift oldfags: What's the best day/night setting so it wount give you piss, but pleases your eyes?
>>
>>55216100
Does it actually follow the Planckian lotus or does it just do random things?

Can it take into account my device-specific calibration curves?
>>
>>55217987
the default
3500 at night and 5500 day iirc
>>
File: 1366058201598.gif (959 KB, 448x352) Image search: [Google]
1366058201598.gif
959 KB, 448x352
>>55217792
>>
>live really far north
>Redshift kicks in full force when the sun is high
>can't see shit
>manually have to turn it off every day

T-thanks
>>
>>55218354
I've never heard of Redshift before in my life but I use f.lux and it doesn't have that problem. You give it your rough longitude and latitude and it works out sunrise and sunset every day. Barring that you can just tell it what time the sun rises and sets and it'll infer your latitude and time zone.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 206x205) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 206x205
I just leave it on all the time. On my phone as well. Turning it off feels like your eyes are being burned by hellfire.
>>
>>55218788
I'd do this if I wasn't a graphic designer who relied on having accurate monitor colors for work. When it turns on at the end of the day it's like exhaling after straining for 8 hours.
>>
>>55217910
This. After a week of using it if you turn it off at night your eyes will be assaulted and you will suddenly realize how much it has been helpful.

>>55217987
6500k day, 4200k night.
>>
>>55218863
I just use a dark-like-my-soul color scheme
>>
>>55218907
Yeah, that's the same
>>
is 3500k the lowest setting for Redshift? It's too bright for me and it won't go lower, even if I changed the setting to 2700k
>>
>>55218930
color temperature has nothing to do with brightness (although faking a lower color temperature on an LCD decreases the brightness as a consequence of the limitations of the tech)

If you're decreasing the color temperature in a misguided attempt to decrease the brightness, you're doing it wrong.

Just lower the brightness on your display...
>>
>>55218944
yeah no, I meant temperature not brightness, sorry. It was very comfortable with f.lux on very low temperature and I kinda miss it
>>
>>55218863
>This. After a week of using it if you turn it off at night your eyes will be assaulted and you will suddenly realize how much it has been helpful.

No shit, when you use a darker contrast and then turn it up suddenly your eyes won't like that. That doesn't mean it's any better or worse.
>>
>>55219067
>suddenly
I use slow transitions though.
>>
>>55219078
However you did say at night.
>>
File: Planckian-locus.png (198 KB, 1334x597) Image search: [Google]
Planckian-locus.png
198 KB, 1334x597
>>55218967
Well, 3500K is certainly not the lowest limit of what you can set your white point to - but at very low temperature the concept of color breaks down since your spectrum shifts away from blue and green entirely, and towards the infrared region.

Eventually (on a perfect display) the picture would be completely invisible to the naked eye, existing only in the infrared spectrum. Of course, our displays can't go into the infrared so you'd just end up with a black screen.
>>
>>55219108
This is some cool shit that I wish I knew how to understand. Thanks for explaining it.
>>
>>55219095
Yeah, but I also have a decently lit room.

It's not like I am changing it when the only light in the room is the monitor.
>>
>>55216100
I use Redshift, but I don't bother with the automatic changes - I just manually turn it on and off.
It works pretty well.
>>
>>55218788
>redshift fucks up your eyes so badly you can't live without it anymore

Can't make this shit up.
>>
No it doesn't. It might POSSIBLY help with your sleep cycle, but your display needs to produce blue light anyway to make white, so their evidence is moot. Even if it does help your sleep, it will not "reduce eyestrain".
>>
>>55220120
>it needs to produce blue light anyway to make white
Do you even know what color temperature is?
>>
>>55220176
White light isn't an equal mixture of red, green and blue like a monitor. It's a continuum that spans the visible spectrum. A yellow LED isn't red and green, it's yellow. Compare that to your monitor where yellow actually is red and green.
>>
>>55220221
Doesn't fucking matter.

Anyway, the idea isn't to completely eliminate the production of blue light, that could be done, but to try and replicate daylight at the end of a day, which is red shifted but not lacking blue.
>>
>>55220236
Daylight doesn't require you to output more blue light to make it appear cool like your monitor does since your blue receptors are also being stimulated by other wavelengths of light. So even with something like f.lux you're still going to have more blue light compared to an actual warm light bulb.
Last I saw f.lux's evidence page all cites studies done with non-rgb light sources, but the last time I looked was years ago.
>>
>>55218354
>not inputting your coordinates
you're w-welcome
>>
I use redshift on both of my computers and Twilight on my phone. I really like it and using a computer with it off at night feels really straining on the eyes, especially if my room is not lit brightly. It helps me relax and go to sleep quicker at night.

I also use the pseudo-display-brightness function to reduce the brightness of the display by 20% when redshift is active.
>>
>>55220221
how white is produced depends on the monitor matrix
>>
f.lux takes a bit of getting used to but once you get used to it's great. I used to get bad headaches after staring at the bright screen to long at night but now I never get them
>>
I am using redshift for over half year. I shit you not, I dream some very vivid dreams. And when I noticed that I decided to stop using redshift for few days to see what will happen.
No dreams at all , just deep coma sleep. Like very very tired.
>>
it does exactly what they say, it help you sleep normally, without it the blue light will keep you up and over exite you and in the morning your brain is fucked and you're tired
i'll keep using it thank you
>>
>>55220328
Monitors can output only three wavelengths of light. Just because our eyes only have red, herb and blue receptors doesn't mean that's the only kind of visible light that exists.
Until there are studies done with warm/cool lighting using RGB sources then you can not say for sure if it works or not. There isn't enough evidence.
>>
>>55220438
i was talking about ips and ah-ips /for example
>>
>>55219217
>This is some cool shit that I wish I knew how to understand.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
>>
>>55220448
They're still only generating red, green and blue, unless there's something else it's doing to the light to change it's frequency.
>>
>>55220328
It really doesn't. Virtually all displays fundamentally only represent red, green and blue and white is just generated by mixing the three together.
>>
Do these programs use DDC or whatever it's called? Seems like the most legit way of doing shit.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.